VDH Opening

Nice spreadsheet, but did anyone pay $230 a point for VDH? We paid quite a bit less. All of our prerelease calculations were based on a guess of incentives around $220 a point, but with actual incentives we paid much lower than that.
I'd guess a lot of people will get less than 150 points, so they will pay $230, but that just means you got an even better deal then they will.

I feel its because DL goers do not need even 100 points (or even dvc). Trips are 2-3 days max and spontaneity is (was) tradition. Nobody goes hey in about a year lets all go to Disneyland!
We're west coasters, annual pass holders, not local, we have our next three trips planned. With kids and school schedules its a must. We typically go 3-4 X a year in 1 or 2 bedroom suites. Longer trips of 5-7 days and shorter trips of 3-4 days. Spontaneity isn't as easy as it used to be with hotel reservations (if staying on site), park reservations, and dining reservations. It can still be done, just not as easily as it used to be. Yes you can do the two parks in 2-3 days in a wham bang fashion, but that's not for us. Longer stays, mid day naps or pool, lots to time to shop, dine, and other experiences, and not feeling exhausted when we return home.

Last edited:
We're west coasters, annual pass holders, not local, we have our next three trips planned. With kids and school schedules its a must. We typically go 3-4 X a year in 1 or 2 bedroom suites. Longer trips of 5-7 days and shorter trips of 3-4 days. Spontaneity isn't as easy as it used to be with hotel reservations (if staying on site), park reservations, and dining reservations. It can still be done, just not as easily as it used to be. Yes you can do the two parts in 2-3 days in a wham bang fashion, but that's not for us. Longer stays, mid day naps or pool, lots to time to shop, dine, and other experiences, and not fealing exhausted when we return home.
I can't imagine that kind of planning and coordination! God bless lol! With kids and also no longer local I just plan the one trip and the rest as we go, but I have no problem staying off site and I prefer DLH which was cash anyways.

Anyone use a pre-arrival credit? I heard of someone able to get this as a new buyer with a stay booked later in the year.

I can't imagine that kind of planning and coordination! God bless lol! With kids and also no longer local I just plan the one trip and the rest as we go, but I have no problem staying off site and I prefer DLH which was cash anyways.
We do the same types of longer trips and I plan all our vacations similarly. Doesn't really feel like more work for DLR trips vs. other trips. Then again, I am a planner and enjoy the planning process.

Pretty sure VDH owners are all in here because we’re all trying to get as much info as we can, seeing how the resort isn’t even open yet and we all purchased blindly. If people are discussing TOT, dues etc that’s totally fine, but several posts now are like “I’m biased but VGC is the best.” Not sure how that’s helpful to this thread. I’m sure once the resort opens my fellow new neighbors and I can have a resort thread to discuss non purchase stuff.
There actually is a difference and you or anyone can and probably should start a VDH owners thread now if one is wanted. You're owners and an owners thread will provide a better platform if this thread that now has a lot to do with purchasing, since speculation is over, is causing distress. Purchasing can include comparisons or even comments on why someone has decided not to purchase. It doesn't always matter which side you land on as both can require and even deserve validation on why or why not don't you think? And yes a part of that decision on why not to buy might be that VGC is preferred. Once you've decided to purchase then a VDH owners thread could be more hip hip hooray for owners.
FWIW VGC had the negatives back in the day. Strong ones. Reasons were given why many weren't going to buy there which may or may not have mattered to all the reader or the thread. If everyone decided on or felt the same thing then we'd all be in trouble actually.

I was $183 a point but maybe the exception. DVC, Magical Beginnings, and Chase Disney 2% cash back.
Is that considering $22 off with magical beginnings or have you already factored in annual dues for the 2023 points that were sold?

I'm just beating a dead horse really but I've been an owner since 2015 and a dedicated rundisney person since 2007.... to have the Disneyland race finally return AND to potentially stay at my DVC home for a Disneyland race instead of the Marriott or Wyndham in ANaheim... I feel like I died and have gone to heaven. I'm not releasing my room at the Anaheim Inn until I get a reservation (I'm super nervous about the 16th) but it's going to be the best feeling when I do :)
Cheers to another Disneyland RunDisney fan. I bought VGC in 2009 and started Disney races in 2017, too (Star Wars Light Side). I'm so glad the races are back! We have 320 points and VGC, but I would have considered VDH if they'd done a RunDisney guaranteed week like they did for races in WDW with Boulder Creek. More points AND guaranteed bib? Win win! I would still stop and think if they do that. I did manage to get a reservation for the return of the races next year, but it was nail biting. Hoping they add Tink back at some point!

I envy all those that bought VGC direct 14 years ago for less than $100pp. People will probably be feeling the same way about current VDH buyers 14 years from now. I totally agree that this is an emotional purchase. No matter how much you crunch the numbers, you can never replace that feeling of buying, booking, and staying at your new home resort. I wanna buy so bad!
That's me. I joined DIs around the same time, and I do seem to remember some skepticism with the resort. It was in the middle of a lot of financial turmoil and the resort sold much slower than was anticipated.
We're west coasters, annual pass holders, not local, we have our next three trips planned. With kids and school schedules it's a must. We typically go 3-4 X a year in 1 or 2 bedroom suites. Longer trips of 5-7 days and shorter trips of 3-4 days. Spontaneity isn't as easy as it used to be with hotel reservations (if staying on site), park reservations, and dining reservations. It can still be done, just not as easily as it used to be. Yes you can do the two parts in 2-3 days in a wham bang fashion, but that's not for us. Longer stays, mid day naps or pool, lots to time to shop, dine, and other experiences, and not fealing exhausted when we return home.
We are also west coasters (nor cal) and go multiple times a year for 3-5 days. DVC has forced us to plan a year out, but I'm so used to it now, it's all good. The one change I really hate is the need to plan everything else. I long for the good 'ole days when no one did restaurant reservations.
There actually is a difference and you or anyone can and probably should start a VDH owners thread now if one is wanted. Your owners and an owners thread will provide a better platform if this thread that now has a lot to do with purchasing, since speculation is over, is causing distress. Purchasing can include comparisons or even comments on why someone has decided not to purchase. It doesn't always matter which side you land on as both can require and even deserve validation on why or why not don't you think? And yes a part of that decision on why not to buy might be that VGC is preferred. Once you've decided to purchase then a VDH owners thread could be more hip hip hooray for owners.
FWIW VGC had the negatives back in the day. Strong ones. Reasons were given why many weren't going to buy there which may or may not have mattered to all the reader or the thread. If everyone decided on or felt the same thing then we'd all be in trouble actually.
Totally agree with this, and I remember some of that. I wish I could find my spreadsheet from the time, but it was an easy decision for us, and I remember people (can't remember whether on Dis) being skeptical, but at the time we were paying around $1000 a night for two standard rooms in the Grand CA hotel 3-4 times a year. We always did 2 rooms (son is special needs and needed his own room) and travel around holidays so for us we broke even in a few years. It was no brainer and I remember feeling defensive about it. Now I look brilliant, LOL. Who would have thought?

It's a lot of planning, but it goes pretty smoothly when it happens.

I know it’s just picture for now but in that photo just right outside of Disneyland Hotel to the right is Disneyland and to the right California Adventure. It would be pretty amazing it they built this.

And I’m so tired of people talking about how great VGC is in the VDH thread. I sure don’t think it’s worth $300/pp but was hoping to grab some if it dropped to less than $200/pp. VDH makes sense to a lot of us. Be happy for us.

Same here...it's coming off elitist a bit at this point. It's like Kanye taking the mic from Taylor Swift. "I'm going to let you finish, but VGC is the best resort of all time!”

VDH makes a lot of sense to us for the number of times we go a year. Honestly... VGC doesn't make sense (especially at $300+ a point!) as we'd never be able to acquire enough points in the same use year for the amount of times and length of times we visit DLR. Hey, I'm happy for you! Welcome home!
So much this. ☝️ We were able to book a 1BR Villa at GCV last summer. Honestly, we weren't that impressed. I'm starting to wonder if we're the only people who prefer the Disneyland Hotel to the Grand Californian. We thought the layout at the Grand Californian was odd and the pool was so crowded. We ended up using it much less than we planned to because we could never find a seat.

Nice spreadsheet, but did anyone pay $230 a point for VDH? We paid quite a bit less. All of our prerelease calculations were based on a guess of incentives around $220 a point, but with actual incentives we paid much lower than that.
We did. We're East Coasters and wanted enough points to take a long trip every 3 years and decided to go with 80 points. We probably could have gotten away with less, but figured we'll use any extra points at WDW. Could we stay somewhere offsite for less? Sure, but we like being in the bubble. (And we do consider VDH to be in the bubble.)

Last edited:
So much this. ☝️ We were able to book a 1BR Villa at GCV last summer. Honestly, we weren't that impressed. I'm starting to wonder if we're the only people who prefer the Disneyland Hotel to the Grand Californian. We thought the layout at the Grand Californian was odd and the pool was so crowded. We ended up using it much less than we planned to because we could never find a seat.
We prefer the DLH too. We’ve stayed at both. The DVC rooms at GCV are looking dated and worn (although they’re due for a much needed refresh in 2024). The cash rooms are nice, but we found them just nice hotel nice, without the many Disney touches DLH has. The GCV Lobby is amazing, and the food options, and entrance to the park have DLH beat. The DLH Lobby in the fantasy tower is like stepping back in time, in a good, Nostalgic way! I think DLH wins on pool, kid friendliness, and rooms with that Disney touch…oh and trader sams!

We prefer the DLH too. We’ve stayed at both. The DVC rooms at GCV are looking dated and worn (although they’re due for a much needed refresh in 2024). The cash rooms are nice, but we found them just nice hotel nice, without the many Disney touches DLH has. The GCV Lobby is amazing, and the food options, and entrance to the park have DLH beat. The DLH Lobby in the fantasy tower is like stepping back in time, in a good, Nostalgic way! I think DLH wins on pool, kid friendliness, and rooms with that Disney touch…oh and trader sams!
Trader Sam's so good! But you can't beat a GCH theme park room. They are the best rooms in both DL and WDW (fight me!).

You cannot be more wrong. There are LEGIONS of DLH fans!

Practically, the lodge area in GCH is always crowded especially during the day and I have been in some deep hallways where the walk was definitely further then some walks from DLH non Frontier towers. The early morning security check is only 2? lines so you are in line forever.

Call it nostalgia, charm, Walt's ghosts, aura, or dare I say: magic, there is something in DLH that envelopes you when you enter either for a stay or just to go to Goofy's kitchen (even more so back in the days with steakhouse 55). GCH is the best for that "wow" factor and superior amenities and I had just posted that the theme park rooms are the best of the best. Its a great hotel but DLH is something more then a hotel, you can feel the Disney magic and parks bleeding into the air.

Last edited:
Yup that was me with the potential dreaming fantasy of new entrance into critter country - Splash with Tiana and back to VDH pool lickity split. Correct currently that is a long walk.

Hmm...I'll have to look at the Disneyland Forward drawing again because my memory sucks.

DL fandom created by being visiting DL as a child is in your DNA and if I'm not mistaken added to your bill of rights (I'm not a scientist nor a lawyer).

It's strange because I visited WDW at ages 6, 10, and 14. Then didn't go back until I was 26ish.

My first visit to Disneyland wasn't until I was 23. I consider Disneyland my "home" park now just because I love it so much (and I've been there a lot more since I lived nearby for a little over a year.)

I feel its because DL goers do not need even 100 points (or even dvc). Trips are 2-3 days max and spontaneity is (was) tradition. Nobody goes hey in about a year lets all go to Disneyland!

Hello, I'm 'nobody.' Nice to meet you. :-) My next trip to Disneyland is 401 days away. :laughing: And we will be in the parks for 5 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter