Variants and the return to normal

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
So... now the UK variant has mutated, so that it is now more in line with the South Africa variant, in that the vaccines are less effective. And of course it's far more easily transmitted. Is anyone else starting to feel like we're just never going to get back to normal? Like we're going to be stuck in this for years?

I have this feeling masks are here to stay for quite awhile. Personally if physical distancing stayed forever I would happy. I think once vaccines are available to everyone travel will be back but you must have proof of vaccination to go anywhere

So... now the UK variant has mutated, so that it is now more in line with the South Africa variant, in that the vaccines are less effective. And of course it's far more easily transmitted. Is anyone else starting to feel like we're just never going to get back to normal? Like we're going to be stuck in this for years?
In short, yes. Not an appealing prospect. Each day brings bad news.

They are saying that the vaccine does still prevent serious illness from the variants. So that’s good news. Hopefully after we are all vaccinated it will be more like where if you get it you may be sick for a few days but that’s it. Or where we need a new shot every year or two to be better protected.

We will never be rid of COVID-19. The expectation is that it will join the annual rotation of respiratory viruses and that we will be able to get an immunization against the most prevalent strain every year. As people are immunized or exposed to this category of virus our immune systems learn to recognize that the new strain is 'sort of' like the old strain, so it should respond better than it does to something totally foreign for which it has no defenses. Actually, it is probably not the 'better' it's the 'quicker'; the sooner your body recognizes the invader the better it is able to fight it off.

On the subject of 'normal' we'll probably wear masks for a long time to come (those of us living through it now). This has been a bit of wake-up for humanity. And based on our human nature, many of us will take precautions for the foreseeable future and slowly taper off. But future generations will not remember and will become fully complacent about the risks and in about another (2020-1916) 104 years some horrible virus will descend upon mankind. History often repeats itself.

ETA: get the vaccine. Even if it isn't perfect against a variant, your body will be better able to recognize and respond to it. A boxer without gloves can still win a fight, but if you don't know how to box, you're in trouble.

We will never be rid of COVID-19. The expectation is that it will join the annual rotation of respiratory viruses and that we will be able to get an immunization against the most prevalent strain every year. As people are immunized or exposed to this category of virus our immune systems learn to recognize that the new strain is 'sort of' like the old strain, so it should respond better than it does to something totally foreign for which it has no defenses. Actually, it is probably not the 'better' it's the 'quicker'; the sooner your body recognizes the invader the better it is able to fight it off.

On the subject of 'normal' we'll probably wear masks for a long time to come (those of us living through it now). This has been a bit of wake-up for humanity. And based on our human nature, many of us will take precautions for the foreseeable future and slowly taper off. But future generations will not remember and will become fully complacent about the risks and in about another (2020-1916) 104 years some horrible virus will descend upon mankind. History often repeats itself.

ETA: get the vaccine. Even if it isn't perfect against a variant, your body will be better able to recognize and respond to it. A boxer without gloves can still win a fight, but if you don't know how to box, you're in trouble.

Yes, I do see masks sticking around. I know there's been a lot of discussion on their use in flu season moving forward.

Masks, at this point, whatever. I'll wear one, hey I'm saving on lipstick. :) even social distancing to a certain extent. I certainly don't mind the space when lining up at various places, and am really enjoying curbside service, go in the store? Nah, they can bring my stuff to me! I hope I can WFH forever too.

But I want to be able to travel, and visit my parents, and sister, and have kiddo go to school "normally" again. Or even be able to go play with friends again. We will get vaccinated, yearly if we have to. And to be honest, if I travel on a cruise or to Disney, I'd like to not have to mask up, though I will if it's required.

I am not sure we'll ever see an end to this though. Normal will be different.

Yeah I think masks will be around for a while. And honestly we are getting used to them. If we have to still wear them to travel and do normal stuff at this point we don’t care.

I don't mind the masks so much, especially indoors, though I won't be able to do Disney in them unfortunately. So until masks go away/are no longer required/are only required indoors, Disney won't be possible for us. It's just everything else - the shut downs and restrictions. That is what I am afraid is going to be a long time before it goes away.

. I a booked for Disney the last week in August (had to cancel last summer because of the pandemic), but if they still require masks, I will cancel. I think Disney is going overboard by requiring guests who stay on property to wear the masks at all times except in the room and I’m the pool. The properties are so big. There’s plenty room to distance. I think that should be enough outdoors.
I’ve been wearing masks and socially distancing since March. I recently got my first vaccine shot. I’m doing my part, but they are being unreasonable IMO.

. I a booked for Disney the last week in August (had to cancel last summer because of the pandemic), but if they still require masks, I will cancel. I think Disney is going overboard by requiring guests who stay on property to wear the masks at all times except in the room and I’m the pool. The properties are so big. There’s plenty room to distance. I think that should be enough outdoors.
I’ve been wearing masks and socially distancing since March. I recently got my first vaccine shot. I’m doing my part, but they are being unreasonable IMO.

Doesn't it come down to reducing liability for them and other large companies? Although it would be difficult to prove .
I also hope assume some of it is a responsibility to try and keep their workers safe.

Once the general population is vaccinated and protected against serious strains of COVID - the ones that end up with hospitalizations, I think a lot will be better. I really don't a version of life closer to normal until the fall. However, summer will be easier on us as it allows for people to see each other outside. I really miss seeing friends distanced in a small group in a backyard. That is not possible in Ottawa winter nor is anything above five people in a group in Ottawa. I assume the COVID vaccine will be like the flu vaccine. They will try to predict the next mutation but it will be effective enough against serious strains.

I have gotten used to masks albeit still not happy to wear masks outside which is what I do with my kids when going a sledding hill... I still have not seen anyone inside in forever.

I will say that for mental health reasons that I try to only focus on a week to week basis in regards to COVID. yes, I am planning on a 2022 Disney vacation but anything about COVID restrictions or news..my mind can only handle week to week information. I try not to overwhelm myself but that does not mean that Iam not informed. I just cannot handle mentally trying to forecast too much.

I will say that for mental health reasons that I try to only focus on a week to week basis in regards to COVID. yes, I am planning on a 2022 Disney vacation but anything about COVID restrictions or news..my mind can only handle week to week information. I try not to overwhelm myself but that does not mean that Iam not informed. I just cannot handle mentally trying to forecast too much.
I couldn’t agree with this more . I’ll tell you how I finally came to this realization. I read an article that predicted that with variants we might still be in lockdown in 2022 . I absorbed the info and didn’t think much of it but in about 20 minutes I was crying . Like sobbing and I couldn’t even say why and it made no sense to me . I think I finally just got completely overwhelmed with being inundated with negativity and gloom all the time . I realized I just can’t sit around doom casting with the news . I will watch enough to stay relatively informed . But guess what ? The earth spins whether I am up to the minute on all the issues or not .
I’m making my plans for December based on current vaccine projections and I’ll adjust as necessary . But I will NOT sit around wringing my hands about variants and every possible thing that could go wrong because this just isn’t living .My mental health can’t take all the speculation and worry .

(ETA - that wasn’t commentary on this thread at all ..just where my head is )

Last edited:
Jumping onto @pigletto's thoughts...

It's funny. I have been essentially getting through the last year quarter by quarter. Every three months I have to organize and conduct an audit committee meeting at work. My last one was in November, next one is in a week and half. I can't believe how fast three months has flown by! My next one is May. Then it will be time for summer vacations! And quite possibly it "might" be my turn to get vaccinated during the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter