• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Van Rentals for ECV

Swan

DIS Veteran
My husband has a failing heart, so on this trip I am renting a scooter. I was wondering if there are vehicles you can rent to transport the scooter from the resort to the park. I know there are buses available but not all buses can transport so it can take up time.

Your best option is probably to rent a "portable" ECV. They come apart into maybe 5 pieces and the vendor can suggest what size vehicle but typically a small SUV or mid-size car with a good sized trunk will carry it. That may depend on whether you are looking to transport both luggage and the ECV at the same time, though, so keep that in mind. Speak to your ECV vendor about which model ECV they'd recommend.

All Disney buses can accommodate ECVs; however, you may consider a resort that has multiple modes of transportation if you're concerned about the buses.

You could also request an accessible Minnie Van via Lyft.
I should also note that Disney is no longer using third party overflow bus companies/coach buses.

I would pick a resort which reduces the need for bus transportation. CBR, POP AoA and Riviera offer skyliner access to 2 parks. The hotels around crescent lake, including Swan, Dolphin and Reserve offer boat service to 2 parks. You can also scooter walk to 2 parks. WL offers boat service to MK. Monorail resorts offer monorail service to MK and EPCOT.

I don't think you can easily rent a van with ramps ot a lift. Are you and your husband physically able to dissassemble a scooter and put the pieces in the trunk? The heaviest piece might weigh 40 lbs.

Skip the rental car. Mears accessible vans are much more reasonable then Minnie Vans.

What resorts are you considering?

Last edited:
I would pick a resort which reduces the need for bus transportation. CBR, POP AoA and Riviera offer skyliner access to 2 parks. The hotels around crescent lake, including Swan, Dolphin and Reserve offer boat service to 2 parks. You can also scooter walk to 3 parks. WL offers boat service to MK. Monorail resorts offer monorail service to MK and EPCOT.

I don't think you can easily rent a van. Are you and your husband physically able to dissassemble a scooter and put the pieces in the trunk? The heaviest piece might weigh 40 lbs.

Skip the rental car. Mears accessible vans are much more reasonable then Minnie Vans.

We will be at the poly.

We will be at the poly.
For the Poly, the monorail provides access to the MK and Epcot (transfer at the TTC. though watch battery consumption going up the ramp at the TTC. The MK is also available via boat launch (at least every other boat). You could roll to the MK, but that would take a fair amount of battery. AK and DHS are available via bus.

All parks are available via Minnie van or other rubber tire vehicle.

The heaviest piece (battery) of a traditional transportable ECV weighs about 50 pounds.

There are newer devices, many of which look like wheelchairs, that are much lighter.

I would pick a resort which reduces the need for bus transportation. CBR, POP AoA and Riviera offer skyliner access to 2 parks. The hotels around crescent lake, including Swan, Dolphin and Reserve offer boat service to 2 parks. You can also scooter walk to 3 parks. WL offers boat service to MK. Monorail resorts offer monorail service to MK and EPCOT.

I don't think you can easily rent a van. Are you and your husband physically able to dissassemble a scooter and put the pieces in the trunk? The heaviest piece might weigh 40 lbs.

You can get a mears van to go from say BLT to AKL? My DH uses a scooter at disney and have a thought of going for dinner at boma, but not wanted to extra work of going from BLT to MK to AKL.

You can get a mears van to go from say BLT to AKL? My DH uses a scooter at disney and have a thought of going for dinner at boma, but not wanted to extra work of going from BLT to MK to AKL.
Yes, scooters go up a ramp. Download the Mears app. The drivers are independent contractors. When you request a taxi a message goes out and a driver accepts your request.

My mom rents a scooter when we're at WDW due to congestive heart failure. We've rented a full-size SUV and basically all we needed to take apart/remove was the battery. We folded the tiller/handle bar section down and it fit great. However, we had 3 strapping lads to load for us. The battery is definitely heavy and I could easily load it with another person but my certainly can't. So when the 2 of us go to WDW for our "girl's trip", we tend to use disney transportation. We have used the accessible Minnie-vans but there can definitely be a wait for them on the Lyft app. My recommendation is if using a Minnie Van, definitely book it with plenty of time to get where you're going. They need a few minutes to load/unload the ECV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter