Value and Moderate Resort Differences

MixedUpRichard

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I am looking at booking our first 'on-site' WDW holiday and I am wondering what the differences are between the Value and Moderate Resorts? We don't have the funds for Deluxe.

We are thinking of one of the All-Stars as against PO: Riverside. What can we expect the main differences to be?

The big differences are theming (values are in your face Disney, mods are more subtle) and bed size (double v queen).

The mods also have better pools (water slides and hot tubs) and a TS restaurant in addition to a food court.

POR has boat service to DTD, something values don't offer. There's also more to do -- fishing, boat rentals, etc.

If you stay at Riverside you can use the amenities at the French Quarter, too.

I really stand behind moderates as being the best bet at Disney, for the reasons mentioned in the above reply. I also find that in addition to the bed size being bigger that the mattress quality along with linen quality seems better at moderates.

That being said, the value resorts are just fine, and a good way to get on property for not a lot of money. Some people also take into account how much time they will be spending on property vs. in parks. The more time you will spend at the resort, the more the moderate might be a good option. If you are at the parks from open to close, then maybe a value resort is best, as you are just basically sleeping at the resort and little more.

Have fun. You can't really go entirely "wrong" either way in my view.

Values have:

No coffee pots (mods have pod type coffee makers in room)
One sink (mods have two sinks for the most part)
double beds (mods have queens)
No pool slide or hot tubs (mods have small water slides or water play areas)
more in your face icon theming (mods tend to be more non Disney centered themes and lusher landscaping)
No TS restaurant (mods have table service options)
Bus stop formats that keep better order (they have actual cattle shute type lines rather than the free for all at mods or deluxes)

Things that won't be different (or much)

Both have outdoor access rooms
Both have themed pools and usually one other pool
room set up will be similar as far as table chairs beds bathrooms
both have food court style dining options
both are at WDW and that's all that really matters :rotfl:

I prefer Mod or Deluxe but I prefer to save some of the money and do values when I'm solo as I tend be more park centered.

I can live without most of the perks when I'm solo and really all that matters is that I'm at Disney.

Hello,

I am looking at booking our first 'on-site' WDW holiday and I am wondering what the differences are between the Value and Moderate Resorts? We don't have the funds for Deluxe.

We are thinking of one of the All-Stars as against PO: Riverside. What can we expect the main differences to be?

Have you considered renting DVC points? We're staying at the Wilderness Lodge in a Deluxe Studio (sleeps 5, 3 sleeping areas) for $207/night renting from an owner -- not a broker.

Renting DVC means we won't be eligible for free dining if it's available during our dates (historically it isn't anyway), but we're spending LESS than a stay at a mod would cost and we get to stay in a deluxe!

In general, if you're planning on spending some time hanging out at the resort (swimming, playing at the playground, eating at the hotel restaurant, strolling the grounds,...) then Mods are a better choice. As PPs mentioned, they have more expansive grounds with beautiful landscaping, bigger and more fun pools with a waterslide, better playground, fancier lobby/common areas, and a nice sit-down restaurant.

If you're planning on spending all day in the parks anyway, and will just be treating the hotel as "crash-space", the extra $$ for a Mod might be a waste. At a Value there is nothing but fast food, the pools are more "basic" in terms of theming, and they usually have no "grounds" to speak of - just a building painted with large Disney characters and a parking lot. Whether or not to pay extra for better atmosphere and food depends on if you will use it.

The quality of the rooms is almost identical, except for queen beds in a Mod and full in a Value. Mods have *slightly* larger rooms, but it's such a tiny amount it's basically imperceptible (all Disney rooms are on the small side, unfortunately...). The difference is in what's outside of the rooms, not so much inside.

We stayed one night at a value. Not because we disliked it so much, but my 11 year old is 5'6" and my 12 year old is an inch taller. They need more space than a double can provide :crowded:

But they really liked Pop Century. Surprisingly my husband didn't. Said the theming was overwhelming and just too much, it looked cheap. So I guess it is a preference. We stayed at POR last time- LOOOOOVED it!!!!

CSR tomorrow, so fingers crossed it is as fanastic as POR!

One other small plus is that the Mod rooms are slightly larger at 314 sq ft as opposed to 260 sq ft at the value resorts. Depending upon how many are staying in the room, that can make a difference.

Another potentially affordable option is the Swan/Dolphin. If you qualify for some of their deeply discounted rooms (military, nurse, teacher, for example) you can get deals that are close in price to the moderates at Disney. You do lose Disney's Magical express which may matter if you don't have a car. Plus don't forget to add the resort fee ($23.00 per day) and daily parking ($15 per day?) if you do have a car.
It still can be a good deal for a luxury Epcot resort. Worth checking into, IMO.

If the budget allows, the moderates are definitely worth the up charge over values. If the extra amenities/space aren't worth the additional $$$ to you, then I would suggest Pop Century over the All Stars. You can walk from there over a bridge to AoA which gives another food court and a uniquely themed area to walk around.

Good luck choosing!

We recently did a split stay at Pop and POR and I thought pop was nice but the room felt very cramped and it lacked a bit in comparison to POR.

Theme wise pop was very loud colours and and icons. It was ok but a bit too much after all the parks.

POR rooms much bigger and theme just more relaxed less overwhelming.

We found the lack of easy access to DTD was also an issue to us at Pop.

DH is very tall and at Pop we had two double beds that we ended up staying in separate beds due to lack of space.

I did not dislike pop but we were only there two nights but I did not feel as relaxed as we did at POR.

All Disney resorts are great. The choice in resort all depends on what your tastes are. All the AllStar resorts share the same busses. The order is Sports, music and Movie. These resorts are geared for smaller children and are themed as such. The food courts are adequate, but don't have many adult food options. The best of the value resorts are the Pop Century and the Art Of Animation they are the newer of the value resorts, the both have one bus stop and have great food courts. They are located centrally, so your ride to the parks are not longer than 10 minutes.

Values have:

Bus stop formats that keep better order (they have actual cattle shute type lines rather than the free for all at mods or deluxes)

To put this another way: The moderates have shaded bus stops that have benches you can sit on. No pesky chained off line in the hot sun (or pouring rain) to stand in, waiting for the bus. You get to sit in the shade and relax instead. The set up of the moderate bus stops is a huge plus over having to stand in line, in my opinion.

All Disney resorts are great. The choice in resort all depends on what your tastes are. All the AllStar resorts share the same busses. The order is Sports, music and Movie.

Actually each All Star has it's own bus waaaaaay more often than they share. I just spent a week at the Sports, and I think we shared twice during the middle of the day. But I agree, all of the resorts are pretty great.:goodvibes

Hello,

I think the main differences have been covered. When I select a resort, I first ask myself, "How much time do I plan to spend at the resort?" If your main goal is to see the theme parks and you will be at the parks all day, then the hotel is really just a place to bathe and sleep. Why pay more if you won't be there to use the things you are paying for? In the alternative, if you plan to use the resort facilities quite a bit, then the perks offered by an upgraded resort such as nicer pools, better restaurant and bar choices (sometimes), and additional transportation options (in some cases) may be worth the extra money.

Both the All-Star and the POR have bus transportation to all the theme parks. However, the POR has water transportation to Down Town Disney. If you plan to spend any time there, or dine there, this is a nice feature to have becauses buses to DTD are a chore.

The biggest difference for us was the size of the room and the beds. We had 2 adults and a toddler is an All Star room and it seemed very cramped. Last time we stayed comfortably at CSR with 2 adults a teen and an 8 year old.

Bed size alone has decided for us that we will go mods rather than values now that our kids are older. A good night's sleep is just too important!

Other than that, more pros for the mods are:
*lusher landscaping
*quieter
*TS restaurant if you want the quieter atmosphere without leaving your resort
*better-themed pools
*covered bus stops with benches
*more spacious rooms

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter