• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

USAA homeowners insurance?

tammymacb

Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta dow
I'm switching to USAA for my homeowners insurance. Quite simply, they are saving me $1000 a year for insurance and it's too good to pass up.

I've "heard" good things about them. The rep on the phone was fantastic.

Any personal experiences?

We have USAA for our homeowners insurance, car insurance for 2 vehicles, home equity line of credit & a credit card them.

I have absolutely no complaints with them at all... never have. DH has had them since he turned 16, I've been with them since we got married at 21. I've never had to submit a homeowners claim but I was in a car accident (other driver's fault) and after trying to work with their insurance (Progressive) first and after getting disgusted with them, I gave everything over to USAA and let them handle it. They did it quickly, had great communication & gave us a very fair value for my car.

Just was talking with a friend about them this past weekend. I have them and love them. My friend has them and so do her parents. Her parents home burned to the ground in a fire in Colorado along with 160 of their neighbors. My friend was telling me how amazing USAA was to them and how much better they were than all the neighbor's insurance companies. I would say they are probably the best "insurance company" out there.

I'm switching to USAA for my homeowners insurance. Quite simply, they are saving me $1000 a year for insurance and it's too good to pass up.

They are great :banana:. We have them for home owners, cars, and banking

We have been with USAA for years. They are the absolute best to deal with! We started with just insurance, but over the years we have moved to most of their other services (savings accounts, credit card, investments, etc.) I think you will be very pleased!:goodvibes

We've been with USAA since 91. Auto, home, banking, credit card, heloc, and investments. They are awesome, have had a few things over the years with disputing charges, auto damage, and misc stuff. Never a problem. Never had a homeowners claim and hope I never do but I expect it to be the same excellent service as all other departments.

We have USAA for everything and have had them for over 35 years. We've had 2 homeowner's claims and both were handled very well with no complaints on our end :)

Even Clark Howard thinks they are one of the best out there :)

I've been with USAA for 12 years and use them for: home owners, both car insurance, 1 car loan, 1 master card and 2 lines of savings. I'm about to open a roth IRA as well. I have nothing but great things to say about their prices and their customer service. We get a phone call every year with them trying to help us save money on car insurance by asking us questions if anything's changed so they can potentially lower our monthly rate. Love them!

I send thim money every month have never had a claim though. Which is a good thing as I have life ins. plan with thim :rotfl2: car and home also but I have never realy used it other than a windshield

Sorry.... not to be the negative Nelly here... but... for the most part they are good... although we shopped around and got better coverage locally. No for the big BUT...

my nephew lives in NC... thanks to Irene (hurricane) he needed a new roof... Irene took the shingles with her... so here is what USAA did... the determined the cost of the roof was $8000.... the value of his house is $140000. So instead of his $500 deductible... the took of $1400 (10% of the value of the house)... and only gave him $6600 to have the roof fixed.... they said this is how they handle claims that have to do with natural disasters...
I thought that was kind of crazy when my nephew told me that (I am a realtor and deal with home owners insurance all the time)... so I called them... yup that was right... so I posed a few other scenarios to them... roof damage from snow... 10% of value ... facia boards tore off from ice damage ... 10% of value... tree comes thru roof because of wind storm... 10% of value.... not sure if I had an agent who just didn't bother looking up to confirm or if this is really the case... but I would question it when buying the policy....

Sorry.... not to be the negative Nelly here... but... for the most part they are good... although we shopped around and got better coverage locally. No for the big BUT...

my nephew lives in NC... thanks to Irene (hurricane) he needed a new roof... Irene took the shingles with her... so here is what USAA did... the determined the cost of the roof was $8000.... the value of his house is $140000. So instead of his $500 deductible... the took of $1400 (10% of the value of the house)... and only gave him $6600 to have the roof fixed.... they said this is how they handle claims that have to do with natural disasters...
I thought that was kind of crazy when my nephew told me that (I am a realtor and deal with home owners insurance all the time)... so I called them... yup that was right... so I posed a few other scenarios to them... roof damage from snow... 10% of value ... facia boards tore off from ice damage ... 10% of value... tree comes thru roof because of wind storm... 10% of value.... not sure if I had an agent who just didn't bother looking up to confirm or if this is really the case... but I would question it when buying the policy....

Nope, that's how they handle wind damage from hurricanes, etc., as do most insurance companies ~ at least here in SE Virginia. It's all in the policy that is sent to the homeowner. Policies really need to be read thoroughly.

Back when they changed this, we had a tree fall on our house during a hurricane and needed a new roof. USAA decided that they had not informed all homeowners correctly of the changes and we only had to pay our deductible.

I don't have any experience with home insurance claims, but that seems very strange. Roofing material (if same brand and style is chosen) costs the same per bundle whether you have a house worth $100,000 or $800,000. Surface area could be more on a home worth $100,000 than one worth $800,000. Seems like someone could really get screwed in that deal. Thanks for the info. We currently only have renters insurance with them, but once we buy a house, we will know additional questions to ask.

As a side not that is really off topic, my parents recently bought a house and was looking into insurance. Mom called (another company) to ask if the coverage they were getting would cover a scenario like if a tree fell on the house during a natural disaster. They were seriously grilling her about things like if she had ever had a tree fall on a previous house, if she had trees in the yard of current house, if she thought trees would fall on current house...as if she were some sort of insurance scammer. She told them to back up and understand she was only asking questions that would cover her in the future, you know, the responsible thing to do. :rolleyes:

$1000 is a HUGE difference (my homeowners costs $1500, so a difference of $1000 would be astounding). I'd suggest that you compare the policies very closely to see if there is a significant difference in the coverage between the two policies. A discrepancy that big seems like there must be something that doesn't line up from one policy to the other.

That said, I have heard great things about USAA. :thumbsup2

I have never had a homeowners claim with them but love them the same. I have had an auto claim and they were great then. I have had the auto since 1986, credit card since the same and homeowners since 1995. I will never go with anyone else.

My mother in law recently asked about getting her homeowners switched to them. Her current company raised her premium $500 a year to over $1500. I was shocked. We have over coverage plus riders and only pay $400 a year. And her house is a lot smaller and in a much less expensive area. She doesn't qualify, however so she's looking elsewhere.

On a 140K house, 1400 would be 1% of the value, not 10%.
This is the deductible that I voluntarily chose to lower my homeowners rates.

Are you sure your nephew didn't sign up for a 1% deductible?

I've had their car insurance for decades. I've never been able to find a lower price on coparable coverage and I've only had good expereinces with their service.
I wish I could get their homeowners! They declined our home because of our old wiring and flat roof.

We are new USAA members, and new homeowners (we just inherited a home). USAA price for homeowners was just shy of $1200 a year. I got quotes from 4 or 5 other major companies - the next lowest price was over $2600 a year and the USAA was a slightly better policy (higher liability coverage). I also just got my credit card through them. I did NOT get auto insurance through them as they are higher for some reason than my current company.

We have had their auto insurance for years, but just added the home. We have never had any problems with the auto, so hopefully it will be the same with the home. They used to be alot more than our previous carrier, but they were a good bit less this go around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter