US border crossing Question.....

Cruisin

If you can't carry it, you don't
Does anybody know what the legal age is for children to cross the border into the United States on their own without parental permission?

Would you be able to take say a 16 yr old across the border without a letter from their parents saying it is okay. I know that 16 yr olds can move out of home and live on their own if they want to, so would they be allowed to cross the border on their own?

We don't plan on doing this, we are taking our niece 16 on a cruise with us and will have a letter signed by her parents. But it was just one of those things you wonder about sometimes.

According to the brochure the Canadian government puts out, "USA Bound", "If a person younger than 18 is travelling to the United States alone or with only one parent or another adult, certified documentation proving that the trip is permitted by both parents should be carried." So, the age is 18.

Ciao,
Mort.

As a teenager I flew to Las Vegas at least once a year to visist family and was always asked for a letter of permission from my parents at the US Customs. I always felt they were worried about runaways. They also always asked who was waiting for me at the other end.

Make certain she has a passport also to go along with the letter.The certified letter should be signed by the parent that is listed on her passport. IMO

Just got back last night from our POP Century stay and our 3 day Wonder Cruise.
We took our niece 16 and our own daughter 16. We drove to Detroit and flew from there.
Not once did anybody question us about the girls and their relationship to us. The border guard looked at our passports but didn't question the relationship (different last names), the airport at Detroit and Orlando did not question, nor did the border guard coming back to Canada.
We had the form signed and notarized for the cruise and just handed it in with our other documents, no comment was made.

Thanks, glad to be back....well not really!!
It was a great trip, no major problems, the weather was a bit cool, but I just sat on Castaway Cay in my tshirt and shorts (others in sweatshirts and jackets) and thought to myself.....I couldn't be doing this at home today!
:sunny:

I think it's 18 as well... If you can get the letter, it would probably be better... just in case the customs officers ask for it.

Welcome back Cruisin'Kroezes! Are you going to do a trip report? Or a review of PC?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter