Upgrading to max pass with third party tickets?

You should be able to buy MP as soon as you activate your tickets at the turnstile. Make sure that you have the Disneyland app (free!) downloaded on your smart phone. (Make sure that your phone can handle the latest version of the app -- older phones seem to have a problem with this.) Have your tickets scanned into the app and a credit card loaded and ready to go (with the 3 digit security code memorized). As soon as you go through the turnstile, the computer system will recognize your ticket as active. Go to the app, purchase MP for each ticket, choose your first FP! It's that easy! If you have any problems, ask a CM for help.

Can I put the tickets on the app like Disneyworld ahead of time and select my Fast passes ahead of time?

Can I put the tickets on the app like Disneyworld ahead of time and select my Fast passes ahead of time?

You can scan your tickets into the app and name them ahead of time, but you cannot choose any FPs until you activate your tickets at the turnstiles. DLR is great this way because it gives all guests a more equal footing with MP/FP. No one can grab up the "good" FPs before anyone else -- everyone has to go through the gates first. Another advantage over WDW, you can get more than 3 FPs each day -- if you're good at the FP/MP game, you can get well over 10 a day!

Do some reading here before your trip to get a good understanding of how MP works. The better you understand the basics before your trip, the more quickly you'll get a grasp of how it works and be able to make it work to your advantage. We see so many guests here buy MP only to spend the day clueless because they didn't even understand the basic FP system to begin with! There are many threads here on MP with lots of good information. (The search bar is rather faint, in the upper right, under your name.)

Do some reading here before your trip to get a good understanding of how MP works. The better you understand the basics before your trip, the more quickly you'll get a grasp of how it works and be able to make it work to your advantage. We see so many guests here buy MP only to spend the day clueless because they didn't even understand the basic FP system to begin with! There are many threads here on MP with lots of good information. (The search bar is rather faint, in the upper right, under your name.)
As soon as you are in the park and purchase Maxpass (which takes seconds), you book one FP. Then you keep booking them every time you’re eligible to pull a new one. When that is is explained here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/#post-58222160

My personal strategy is to do several rides with fast return times first thing in the morning (things like Big Thunder, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, Matterhorn) and then pull something for farther away, which is going to give me a 90-minute “wait” (like Space Mountain, or if you’re parkhopping, RSR or GOTG). By late afternoon, the only stuff left is often the less popular FP rides like Small World, Haunted Mansion, Goofy’s Sky School, so we pick those up then.

As soon as you are in the park and purchase Maxpass (which takes seconds), you book one FP. Then you keep booking them every time you’re eligible to pull a new one. When that is is explained here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/#post-58222160

My personal strategy is to do several rides with fast return times first thing in the morning (things like Big Thunder, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, Matterhorn) and then pull something for farther away, which is going to give me a 90-minute “wait” (like Space Mountain, or if you’re parkhopping, RSR or GOTG). By late afternoon, the only stuff left is often the less popular FP rides like Small World, Haunted Mansion, Goofy’s Sky School, so we pick those up then.

This is a good strategy. Set a reminder or alarm to tell you each time you are eligible to grab your next FP. The FP itself should tell you that time. That way you can keep booking new FPs. Sometimes it is possible to have as many as 3 FPs waiting in your app at one time.

You can scan your tickets into the app and name them ahead of time, but you cannot choose any FPs until you activate your tickets at the turnstiles. DLR is great this way because it gives all guests a more equal footing with MP/FP. No one can grab up the "good" FPs before anyone else -- everyone has to go through the gates first. Another advantage over WDW, you can get more than 3 FPs each day -- if you're good at the FP/MP game, you can get well over 10 a day!

You can get more then 3 FP's a day at WDW. You start out with 3 and after you use those you can add one at a time. I have easily done 12 to 15 FP's a day at MK a couple times.

You can get more then 3 FP's a day at WDW. You start out with 3 and after you use those you can add one at a time. I have easily done 12 to 15 FP's a day at MK a couple times.

This is nice to know. But at DLR with MP, this is easily done every time, which is one of the things that makes MP so helpful. Especially if you were able to line up several FPs while lounging by your hotel pool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter