• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Upgrading to AP

prnces1214

Mouseketeer
I have a question for anyone that has had the park hopper tickets and then upgraded to the annual passes.

We leave in 2 weeks and my plan is to upgrade when we get there. I know I have to essentially use a park day then upgrade at guest services in the park.

I am trying to get an idea of about how much it is going to be. If anyone has done this before and doesn't mind sharing how much it cost them. I am just trying to budget accordingly.

I have a 7 day park hopper ticket if that helps at all.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Thanks!

Last year we did it and ended up getting about $20 back each from Disney because our 7 day PH cost more than the Silver AP.

Your Amount will vary depending on which AP you choose as they all cost different amounts.

I have a question for anyone that has had the park hopper tickets and then upgraded to the annual passes.

We leave in 2 weeks and my plan is to upgrade when we get there.
1. I know I have to essentially use a park day
2. then upgrade at guest services in the park.

3. I am trying to get an idea of about how much it is going to be. If anyone has done this before and doesn't mind sharing how much it cost them. I am just trying to budget accordingly.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Thanks!

1. No, you do NOT have to do that. (But, it won't hurt if you DO.)
2. It's Guest Relations. Yes, can do the upgrade inside the park, if you want, although it can
be done later at any ticket booth or Guest Relations.

3. Subtract the cost for a 7-day park hopper from the cost of the AP you want.
Then, you will pay the difference for the upgrade.

Last edited:
I am planning on the platinum annual pass.

And that's good news that we don't have to use the day before we upgrade, I would then have the full value of the PH ticket towards the annual upgrade price.

You'd have the full value either way, even if you did use the ticket first. But if the CM does the upgrade right, your expiration date should be 1 year from the first use of the ticket, if it was previously used.

Where did you get the ticket? Some tickets are "bridged" to the current gate price when you upgrade, while you'll only be credited with the amount you paid for some tickets.

Hi, I hope OP will accept my apologies for "hijacking" this thread, but I am thinking about doing the exact thing that OP has described on this thread but I had an additional question for the experts on the "upgrade to AP" issue.

Later this year we will be going to WDW on a package purchased thru the Walt Disney Travel Company which includes a 6-day Park Hopper pass. I wanted to find out about a particular benefit for upgrading that pass to an annual pass (the Platinum Annual Pass) just like the OP.

Specifically, I want to know how the Memory Maker downloads benefit will "kick in". If I cannot get around to upgrading to the AP until after say 3 days of the PH has been used, I know the bridging thing will take the start of the AP back to the first day the PH was used. But will I be able to download for free any of the PhotoPass photos that I may have taken on those 3 days before I switched over to the AP or will those PP photos be "lost" (downloadable for free) because they were taken before the day I actually went to a Guest Relations desk to do the AP upgrade?

Also, since I will have some family and friends linked on my account and on the trip with me, will their pre-AP-switch PP photos be "lost" regardless of whether I as the Platinum AP holder am able to download for free MY own pre-switch-date PP photos?

I want to know how the Memory Maker downloads benefit will "kick in". If I cannot get around to upgrading to the AP until after say 3 days of the PH has been used, I know the bridging thing will take the start of the AP back to the first day the PH was used. But will I be able to download for free any of the PhotoPass photos that I may have taken on those 3 days before I switched over to the AP...

Yes.

The situation created by "upgrading" any ticket is to (in effect) make it as though the ticket to which you upgrade is the ticket that you had "started with."

(Which is why they back-date the AP upgrade start-time to the date that you used the original ticket.)

The AP benefits that would have applied (like MM) would be back-dated, too.

What if you have already purchased MM before you upgrade to an AP? Will that amount be added in as well?

What if you have already purchased MM before you upgrade to an AP? Will that amount be added in as well?
No. You'd want to cancel your MM and get a refund. MM is a completely separate product.

Reactions: Fia

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter