Upgrading Ticket to AP - A Few Questions - UPDATED - Still Need Help

Bowen9475

DIS Veteran
We are headed to Universal in mid February and staying at Cabana Bay. I bought discounted 3 day/2 park tickets on Black Friday. Would it be possible to upgrade one of them to a Seasonal Pass to take advantage of the AP rate at the hotel? How much would this cost? I have a rate of $248 per night. The APH rate is $174. The difference is over $300. Would I be able to wait until we get to the hotel and ask about the APH rate? I don't want to change the ressie now, in case something doesn't work out. I don't want to get stuck paying a higher rate when we get there. Thanks for any help and information!

No, you can't upgrade to the AP rate once you get there. It needs to be done previously. Most likely, there will be no AP rooms left by then. I'm not sure if your discounted tickets are upgradable. Best thing to do is contact guest services and check. Then call the reservation line and change your reservation to the AP rate.

Do what damo said and find out if you can upgrade one of the seasonal passes

If you can, then book the room on the Aph rate

Looking at the black out chart for seasonal passes, no restrictions in February for park admission

Rooms will fill up on the Aph rate quickly

I remember this poster from sometime back
:yay:

Just a word of warning. I called guest services 3 times and got 3 different answers on upgrading my ticket. I have a 4 day ticket I bought through Undercover Tourist on Black Friday for the cost of 2 days. I went ahead and made the AP reservation and think I will be able to upgrade my ticket when I get there. 1 person on the phone told me that discount tickets could not be upgraded and that seemed incorrect to me. I called back and 2 others said that my ticket could be upgraded to an AP but the cost was different for the two of them (one quoted the price difference between a 2 day and AP, while the other quoted the difference between 4 day and AP). I am not completely blaming guest services: they do not have my actual ticket in hand to scan to see what pops up on their screen. I am only saying something because people should be prepared if they are told on the phone one thing that might be different when they arrive. You cannot upgrade the tickets to AP over the phone.

I believe that my ticket will be upgraded to an AP and it will cost between $20-50 to upgrade; the AP rate for my hotel dates will save approx $250. I think the person on the phone that said "no" might think a discounted ticket is the same as a complimentary ticket. I am there during non-blackout days but will have to see if there are concerts that would blackout the seasonal AP for Universal on concert days (still could use the AP for IOA).

A discounted ticket is not the same as a complimentary ticket. No worries about that.

The only issue is about a very specific ticket, but other threads had smarter people saying that IF it's an issue it just means they'll upgrade from a ticket with lower days, which doesn't lose the person any money. It just isn't bridged as universal has recently has had us expect.

The person will be credited to the 2 paid days but not the free days

You still come out ahead as by using the pass to enter the park, that pass will be at the current ticket value

Like bumbershoot stated, you won't lose any money

I appreciate the knowledge on the forums and think you are correct. I just wish the people working the phones knew as much.

I always tell people that if they disagree on what ticket policy the TM gives over the phone, request to talk to a supervisor about it

The TM will tell you that if you give your phone number the supervisor will call you back

They say this if the sup is tied up at the time you call

Each time I have requested to talk with a sup, I did get a call back within the hour

From what I have experienced, the supervisors are well informed and accurate on procedures, processes and information about tickets, room bookings, etc

UO has grown
With that, not all phone employees at times, give out accurate info

Could be they are not up to date on future ticket changes until it is about to go into effect

I am planning on doing the same thing. I was worried I would book the APH rate and then not be able to upgrade. I wanted it in writing so that if I had an issue when I arrived - I wouldn't be stuck paying whatever the rack rate that day was. So I emailed them and they said that I could upgrade. I know that doesn't guarantee it - but it felt better having it in writing.

I am planning on doing the same thing. I was worried I would book the APH rate and then not be able to upgrade. I wanted it in writing so that if I had an issue when I arrived - I wouldn't be stuck paying whatever the rack rate that day was. So I emailed them and they said that I could upgrade. I know that doesn't guarantee it - but it felt better having it in writing.
There are so many peeps that post the facts about how to book and upgrade for the AP rate

I moderate the UO boards and have not seen any false info posted to steer anyone wrong for AP bookings prior to purchase

You will be fine to book with the AP rate and buy the AP or update your ticket pass once at UO

hope you are able to find the AP rate for the dates you need

You can book now and then modify your rate to the AP when it is available

If you are locked into specific dates, book early and modify your rate when it comes out

There are so many peeps that post the facts about how to book and upgrade for the AP rate

I moderate the UO boards and have not seen any false info posted to steer anyone wrong for AP bookings prior to purchase

You will be fine to book with the AP rate and buy the AP or update your ticket pass once at UO

hope you are able to find the AP rate for the dates you need

You can book now and then modify your rate to the AP when it is available

If you are locked into specific dates, book early and modify your rate when it comes out

I guess I should have been more clear. I was worried that when I went to upgrade my ticket to an AP - I would not be able to. As a PP said you can get multiple answers on whether or not you can upgrade. There was a post about discount tickets that were not able to be upgraded. Which is why I wanted to know from Universal that they would upgrade my (bought by another vendor) ticket to an AP.

Once I got that in writing - I did call Universal a had them change my reservation to an AP rate. I saved $230 on the hotel - but of course still need to upgrade my tickets. It will probably be a slight savings - but will save more with the parking and food discounts. And of course - an easier conversation to get my husband to go back:)

I just spoke with Guest Services. The person I spoke with seemed to think I should have no problem upgrading one of our tickets to a Seasonal AP but couldn't give me an idea of what the cost would be. She said it would depend on the value that is given to the tickets when we go to do the upgrade because they were bought through a third party. Because I had questions about changing our hotel reservation to the AP rate, she called the front desk of the hotel to get information. She came back and told me that I would not be able to change my hotel reservation. I would have to cancel and rebook with the AP rate. She also said she was told that I would have to have the pass in hand when checking in to receive the discounted rate. We are arriving on a Monday but not going into the parks until Tuesday. This seems to contradict what I have been reading here. :(

Call and ask to talk to a supervisor at the hotel

Hotel employees are not connected to the parks

I recently modified my room rate to the AP rate

When you use your ticket to enter the parks, the value of your ticket reflects the current price of tickets

Upgrade your tickets to the pass then

The person on the phone can not give you info in the amount of what your ticket value would be
They don't know 3 rd party vendors costs

The only thing I can think of if someone you talked to on that phone call, checked AP dates and did not find AP availability

You could also call again with your same questions and find a phone rep that would have accurate info.....

This would be the easiest way to get correct info

I just spoke with Guest Services. The person I spoke with seemed to think I should have no problem upgrading one of our tickets to a Seasonal AP but couldn't give me an idea of what the cost would be. She said it would depend on the value that is given to the tickets when we go to do the upgrade because they were bought through a third party. Because I had questions about changing our hotel reservation to the AP rate, she called the front desk of the hotel to get information. She came back and told me that I would not be able to change my hotel reservation. I would have to cancel and rebook with the AP rate. She also said she was told that I would have to have the pass in hand when checking in to receive the discounted rate. We are arriving on a Monday but not going into the parks until Tuesday. This seems to contradict what I have been reading here. :(

I am in the same situation as I just added a day to my room reservation meaning I am checking in after mid-night on my arrival day before I can upgrade my ticket to a Seasonal Pass. My first park day is a blockout day. I am staying 7 nights and have the SMSM rate right now. If AP rate is better, I will book then with the AP rate, but I am a bit worry about not being able to show a Seasonal Pass at check-in. I just hope UO employees can be more consistent.

I've had no trouble upgrading my tickets bought at Undercover toutrist to an annual pass at Universal. Now at Disney you need to use the tickets once to get the full gate value of the ticket and then they bridge it to the current price. I don't know if it's the same at Universal, but I know we upgraded on the last day and they valued our tickets at full gate price and we paid the difference. They generally don't ask you to show your AP when you check in. If they do just explain to them your going to upgrade your tickets, and you'll show it before you check out. I'm sure your not the first person to do this.

If I buy tickets from UT I will save $25 in all for our five passes. I intend to upgrade to an AP for four of us. Apart from the $25 savings, what is the benefit to upgrading UT tkts over simply buying the APs at the outset?

If I buy tickets from UT I will save $25 in all for our five passes. I intend to upgrade to an AP for four of us. Apart from the $25 savings, what is the benefit to upgrading UT tkts over simply buying the APs at the outset?

Having them in hand. That's pretty much it.

When we got an AP rate I just bought my AP online and picked it up at a willcall kiosk. I was only doing it for the rate, not totally sure if we would continue to LOVE it as much as on our first visit. Bought hubby and son's tickets through UT, and ended up upgrading them b/c we did love it. And that was at the time BEFORE UO was "bridging" like WDW does, so there was truly no benefit.

Having them in hand. That's pretty much it.

When we got an AP rate I just bought my AP online and picked it up at a willcall kiosk. I was only doing it for the rate, not totally sure if we would continue to LOVE it as much as on our first visit. Bought hubby and son's tickets through UT, and ended up upgrading them b/c we did love it. And that was at the time BEFORE UO was "bridging" like WDW does, so there was truly no benefit.
Thank you. This morning I did all the math. I think if I buy from UT I save $106.55. I'm buying three adult three day park to park and two kids. I will then upgrade four passes to APs. An AP costs $410.02 so if I understand correctly I will pay the difference between the AP rate and the three day park to park rate.

I have two rooms booked with an AP rate. It shouldn't be a problem to show my AP prior to check out and not at check in?

Lastly. Do you think I should just upgrade all five to AP to give us flexibility to return? I know I'm going back with the kids once but dh is scheduled just for this trip. Worth the extra cost? I guess it depends how he likes it.

Thanks to all you experts. I am a Disney veteran and can plan that in my sleep. Universal virgin here!

Show your ap at the hotel desk the evening before check out day to keep your discounted rate

Their system goes down by the end of the day and the accounts are processed at that time

I clear up my hotel charges before 11:00 pm the day before I check out

The cc you have on file will be charged unless you clear your bill in advance

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter