• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

With the recent news of President Biden banning all imports of Russian oil and gas and energy, I thought it would be helpful to discuss alternative ways to save at the pump, heating bills and airfare.

Let's start with Saving Money at the Pumps:
  • Buy Gas Gift Cards: This is the last month to earn 5% back at Grocery Stores on various credit cards. Also see Discount District.

• Choice Thank You Gift Card
    Includes:
    Old Navy, Ulta Beauty, Applebee’s, Chevron/Texaco, Regal Cinemas, Grubhub and Total Wine.
  • Shell Gift Cards DP: Stack the Savings
    • You can save 10 cents per gallons with T-Mobile Tuesdays
    • Pay cash prices since you’re using a gift card
  • Use gas savings from Stop & Shop purchases
  • Check your Credit Card Offers or consider getting a new credit card specifically for Gas.
  • Use Gas Apps:
    • AAA Triptik: Free to everyone, includes stations & gas prices
    • GasBuddy: Real-time Updates and Alerts for Deals
    • Gas Guru: Cheapest Gas Prices and you can search by amenities
    • GetUpside Gas App: To learn more go to DoC
  • Consider Carpooling even if it's once or twice a week.
  • Also see Transportation & Traveling with Points
    • BPme AA SimplyMiles Offer: Spend $20+at BPme & Get 450 Miles - Targeted
Again, this is an open to everyone, if you know how to save at the pump I encourage you to share.
I mentioned it before but we use the conoco app which saves .10/gal (more I think if you tie it to you checking acct/debit card) and then we pay with my sams club MC which is 5% cb on up to $6000/year on gas. Sometimes there is someplace on Getupside thats available but all of our vehicles are diesel so there isn't always a savings on that. Also Hy-vee is someplace I don't see mentioned a lot here. But we try to watch their fuel saver stuff and they will often have a save .25/gal with a purchase of $50. So we will break our trip up into 2 or 3 payments to get that .25 x3. And stack that with purchasing the things that have an additional fuel saver like sometimes milk will be.10/gal if you buy the hyvee brand. If we do it right we can often save $1.00/gal on a fill up.

Murphy USA
Thanks for posting! DH would like to drive to Orlando so this could be very useful! Have you tried using discounted Visa/MC gift cards at the pump?

Just adding,
Murphy USA/Walmart Partnership
Earn Murphy Drive Rewards points with purchases and redeem for free snacks and up to $1 off per gallon at the pump for up to 20 gallons. Plus use the store finder so you’re never far from savings.
Cards - We accept all major debit and credit cards, along with SNAP, WEX, Fuelman and other fleet cards
Tap to Pay - We are enabled to accept NFC enabled cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay

Thanks for posting! DH would like to drive to Orlando so this could be very useful! Have you tried using discounted Visa/MC gift cards at the pump?

Just adding,
Murphy USA/Walmart Partnership
Earn Murphy Drive Rewards points with purchases and redeem for free snacks and up to $1 off per gallon at the pump for up to 20 gallons. Plus use the store finder so you’re never far from savings.
Cards - We accept all major debit and credit cards, along with SNAP, WEX, Fuelman and other fleet cards
Tap to Pay - We are enabled to accept NFC enabled cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay
I haven't tried using discounted Visa/MC gift cards because we've got a Walmart Credit card that gives 5% back on fuel purchases (I think)

I have used my Bing Rewards to get $25 Walmart GC's then taken the paper GC from Bing into a Walmart to get a physical card to use at the gas pumps! Every little bit helps :)

I mentioned it before but we use the conoco app which saves .10/gal (more I think if you tie it to you checking acct/debit card) and then we pay with my sams club MC which is 5% cb on up to $6000/year on gas.
Thank you for posting.

Just adding,
Conoco
Save up to 25¢* per gallon when you purchase gas via the My Conoco® App.
The My Conoco® App is safe and secure. And for a limited time, you can get up to 10¢* off per gallon when you purchase gas via the My Conoco® App. Then save another 15¢* per gallon when you use direct pay or the Conoco® Credit Card in the My Conoco® App. Download today, setup your mobile wallet and spend less to get where you're going.
Offer ends 3/31/2022.
Fine print: *25¢ is a combined savings of 10¢ off per gallon (up to 30 gallons) at the pump at participating Conoco® locations AND 15¢ off per gallon when you pay for fuel using your select payment methods within the My Conoco® App.​

I've added Murphy USA and Conoco to Saving Money at the Pumps.

I have a question on Disney GC. I have a Chase offer of 10% off. I have seen some people use it with success on ShopDisney. Do I need to purchase something else in order to get it to trigger? What portal sites work, if any, on this? I mostly use RMN and Ebates/Rauteken.

Is it a mailed GC or emailed? We may be booking a last minute cruise today so will need to pay in full upon booking.

Thanks!

I have a question on Disney GC. I have a Chase offer of 10% off. I have seen some people use it with success on ShopDisney. Do I need to purchase something else in order to get it to trigger? What portal sites work, if any, on this? I mostly use RMN and Ebates/Rauteken.

Is it a mailed GC or emailed? We may be booking a last minute cruise today so will need to pay in full upon booking.

Thanks!

The ShopDisney Chase offer should work on GCs no problem! Either eGC or physical will work (take a look at the max discount, it's usually $5 or so). Regarding cashback sites tracking GC purchases on shopDisney, I've had best luck with RMN (100% of my shopDisney GC purchases, both eGC and physcial, have tracked there). I've seen some DPs saying that Rakuten sometimes tracks, but haven't had any luck with it myself. YMMV of course!

Edited to add: my purchases have been just the GC, no need to add anything to get it to trigger!

In terms of Saving Money on Flights, which is another whopping post we'll get into later, I just wanted to let you know it's recommended to buy now to lock in pre-pandemic prices and have travel insurance.

I have a question on Disney GC. I have a Chase offer of 10% off.
The ShopDisney Chase offer should work on GCs no problem! Either eGC or physical will work (take a look at the max discount, it's usually $5 or so). Regarding cashback sites tracking GC purchases on shopDisney, I've had best luck with RMN (100% of my shopDisney GC purchases, both eGC and physcial, have tracked there). I've seen some DPs saying that Rakuten sometimes tracks, but haven't had any luck with it myself. YMMV of course!

Edited to add: my purchases have been just the GC, no need to add anything to get it to trigger!

I agree with @catsinawindow on all the above. RMN is your best bet for tracking and they're currently at 5% cb. Since your going soon, do the egift to prevent delayed shipping.

I agree with @catsinawindow on all the above. RMN is your best bet for tracking and they're currently at 5% cb. Since your going soon, do the egift to prevent delayed shipping.

Thank you both for your quick and detailed responses! I have been scrolling through all the things on Shop Disney to see if there was cheap filler just in case!

Additional Offers Added ~ 3/09/22

Disney Gift Card Deals
Harris Teeter: Earn 4x Fuel Points On Disney Gift Cards (All 3rd Party Gift Cards)
Expires 3/22/22. GCG

Kroger: Earn 4x Fuel Points On Disney Gift Cards (All 3rd Party Gift Cards)
Expires 3/22/22. GCG

Discount District
Harris Teeter:
  • Buy 2x Select Gift Cards totaling $50+ & Get $5 off:
    • Includes: Happy Her, Choice Retail Therapy and Choice Treat Yourself
    • Expires 3/15/22. GCG
  • Earn 4x Fuel Points On All 3rd Party Gift Cards and Fixed-Value Visa & Mastercard Gift Cards
  • Buy Select Gift Cards Earn 200 bonus fuel points:
    • Includes: Giving Good, Chipotle and Gap Options
    • Expires 3/22/22.
  • Buy 2x Fanatics Gift Cards totaling $50+ & get $7.50 off
    • Expires 4/05/22.
  • Limit 1 per offer. Direct link to digital coupons. GCG
Kroger: Earn 4x Fuel Points On 3rd Party Gift Cards and Fixed-Value Visa & Mastercard Gift Cards

Let's start with Saving Money at the Pumps:
I don't use a lot of gas because I drive an electric hybrid that only has a 7 gallon tank. I usually buy my gas at Costco (where it's cheaper) and use my Costco Credit card at the gas pump which gets me 4% back. That comes out to about 15 cents per gallon these days :car:.

We buy our gas from Kroger using the x4 fuel promotions and pay for gas with our Kroger cc. The card takes off $1.25 per gallon so that's $43.75 saved on 35 gallons as we fill two cars. If only one car needs gas, we go to Costco.

We have several independent gas stations, grocery stores with gas stations and warehouses clumped together so prices for gas in my area tend to stay pretty true. If we were to drive into a neighboring township the prices are all over the place.

Just bought $300 Disney GC from Harris Teeter and was hoping to get the 4x fuel points as well as the 5% rewards points by paying with my Disney Chase card (with their current promotion for 5% rewards for grocery store purchases) however I guess I won’t be getting the extra disney reward $ since “charges on your credit card will appear as BHN*GIFTCARDS” so apparently the charge won’t show up as a grocery charge...I usually buy my gas at BJs since it is always cheaper but still I will definitely use the fuel points at the station at Harris Teeter...

Wanted to note that I was very successful last month with purchasing Gift of College gift cards ($200/$5.95 fee) at Kroger during the 4x fuel points. On the $1600 I purchased, I'll have saved $206 on fuel after fees.

I am combining credit card sign up bonus(es) with this promotion. Here are how my calculations are working out (part tested, part theory) on $7500 in GOH contributions.

$ 1,537.50cc bonus
$ 377.36tax savings
$ 965.63fuel savings
$ 2,880.49

Previously I was making my 529plan contributions from my bank account, and only realizing the state tax savings. I am very thankful to have found a way to earn on these contributions.

**** For the Kroger deal that just launched today, Gift of College cards are only being sold up to $100 for the $5.95 fee. If I go that route, it will eat into my fuel savings, but I'll still come out way ahead.

Just bought $300 Disney GC from Harris Teeter and was hoping to get the 4x fuel points as well as the 5% rewards points by paying with my Disney Chase card (with their current promotion for 5% rewards for grocery store purchases) however I guess I won’t be getting the extra disney reward $ since “charges on your credit card will appear as BHN*GIFTCARDS” so apparently the charge won’t show up as a grocery charge...I usually buy my gas at BJs since it is always cheaper but still I will definitely use the fuel points at the station at Harris Teeter...
You bought them online?
Harris Teeter & Kroger Online do not code as Grocery. Charges go through Blackhawk Network. What a drag though, glad you're still able to use those points. What cc will you be using at the pump?

You bought them online?
Harris Teeter & Kroger Online do not code as Grocery. Charges go through Blackhawk Network. What a drag though, glad you're still able to use those points. What cc will you be using at the pump?

yes I bought them online as my Harris Teeter no longer has the Disney cards in the store...kind of bummed since I could have bought the cards at Target and saved $15! Not sure which card I’ll use at pump prob my bank card or AE.

yes I bought them online as my Harris Teeter no longer has the Disney cards in the store...kind of bummed since I could have bought the cards at Target and saved $15! Not sure which card I’ll use at pump prob my bank card or AE.

Wow, this is first time I've read that. Are they temporary sold out or are they no longer going to sell them. Which location please. That's crazy!

Hi I was wondering... The Chase shop Disney offer says up to $5.00 minimum back. Has anyone had luck doing this more than once?
Each of the Chase Offers is a one time thing. Once you use it, that's it. They do pop up again. Through the Disney one is pretty few and far between but others, like 5% off Starbucks, seem to return for me the next month.

Each of the Chase Offers is a one time thing. Once you use it, that's it. They do pop up again. Through the Disney one is pretty few and far between but others, like 5% off Starbucks, seem to return for me the next month.
Thank you for your quick reply!!!! I love this board!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter