Unsure if I should go ahead...

DisneyGuy758

Let's go Murphys!
I want to book a short trip for my wife and myself only in late October.

By then, our youngest son will be 3. She's been home with him (minus when she in school and interning) since he was born. She is also a big one for saving money for future investments (read: a house).

I'm more nervous about her not being there for the youngest. The money part I can get by/around.

I asked my wife the other night if just her and I going would be bad. She said no, and she'd like to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I took that as her wanting to do it...but maybe not this year...

We had a rough last part of the year (wife had a miscarriage at three months), things were rough for a while, but we seem to have rekindled a lot of what made us us.

What I would really love to do it book the trip with the down payment, and when I do tell her (in a couple of months) if she's upset about it, I would be willing to eat the $200 downpay and just move on.

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

I want to book a short trip for my wife and myself only in late October.

By then, our youngest son will be 3. She's been home with him (minus when she in school and interning) since he was born. She is also a big one for saving money for future investments (read: a house).

I'm more nervous about her not being there for the youngest. The money part I can get by/around.

I asked my wife the other night if just her and I going would be bad. She said no, and she'd like to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I took that as her wanting to do it...but maybe not this year...

We had a rough last part of the year (wife had a miscarriage at three months), things were rough for a while, but we seem to have rekindled a lot of what made us us.

What I would really love to do it book the trip with the down payment, and when I do tell her (in a couple of months) if she's upset about it, I would be willing to eat the $200 downpay and just move on.

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

Well the $200 will be fully refundable until 45 days before your trip! But honestly, why would you do anything behind your wife's back, especially after a rough year? Tell her you'd like to put down a deposit but that there's time to decide if she'd really like to go before it becomes non refundable.

Please don't think of it as behind her back. I was aiming more for surprise than sneaky.

That's fair, and very sweet. I guess since you brought it up with her and she didn't necessarily agree, I saw it as kind of sneaky. But when you surprise her, maybe mention that it is still refundable if she really isn't ready to go, and wait to buy your flights if you're flying.

She didn't exactly disagree...she was just wasn't as enthusiastic as I was about the idea of it. She was, however, quite specific about where she wanted to stay at AKL. Not on the ground floor, and where she can see the animals in the morning.

Personally, I could go to Disney every year and be quite happy with it.

I'd do it! I would love it if my husband took the initiative to plan a getaway like that! (Especially after having a tough year)

The biggest thing is, I know (and so does she) how expensive a trip can be. Even if it is just us. I'm hoping for a future discount or even a pin for that time frame.

Im kind of torn on this decision.

I can understand trying to surprise her, but maybe honesty is the best bet here. After a tough year she may feel more secure with the money in the bank that being away from her baby.

To me it sounds like she wants to go otherwise she would have said that. Nothing would make me happier than my husband booking a "surprise" trip just for the two of us. It would show me that he loves me enough to do something just for me - especially if it was after a "rough" year. It sounds like it's exactly what the two of you need - an escape from reality to the "Happiest Place on Earth". Is there ever really enough money?!?! As long as it's not permanently scaring your family finances, I say GO FOR IT!!!!

The thing is, you know your wife better than anyone. It is hard to say. I would personally say go for it. My wife and I had the same problem. We were always saving for the future. I handle the money in the relationship and I always felt we could swing a 4 day trip before the kids came. She wanted to save. Then we started the family process. We had 4 miscarriages total. Now we have 4 kids. We NEVER did anything once the first baby was born. It was all about the baby. No lie, we have gone on 3 "dates" since our oldest was born, and she will be 10 on Friday. Now we are getting divorced because we grew apart.

While I don't want to tell you to do something that might cause her to be upset, there is also a fear that you may grow apart if you can't ever do anything as a couple anymore. If she is a Disney fan than how can she hate it? Make a compromise, don't go that long. Go long enough to get time together but short enough to keep the cost down a bit. Now, if she hates Disney and this is more your thing, welll that could cause problems.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you with my opinion, it was jumping around a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter