Unofficial Guide 2013?

shm_helene

Mouseketeer
I posted this on the "strategies" board but didn't hear many responses. Wonder if any of you have answers...

I've used the UG in the past. I think the most recent one I purchased was 2009. We are going back this year and I was wondering if purchasing a new one would be worth it - with the changes of Fantasyland and the addition of AoA. I was also thinking that I could just get the subscription to the website. Anybody purchase it and think it was worth it to get the new one? Thx in advance!

Also, is the UG with Kids worth it or just basically the same information at the UG?

shm_helene said:
I posted this on the "strategies" board but didn't hear many responses. Wonder if any of you have answers...

I've used the UG in the past. I think the most recent one I purchased was 2009. We are going back this year and I was wondering if purchasing a new one would be worth it - with the changes of Fantasyland and the addition of AoA. I was also thinking that I could just get the subscription to the website. Anybody purchase it and think it was worth it to get the new one? Thx in advance!

Also, is the UG with Kids worth it or just basically the same information at the UG?

I have the 2011 UG and I went to the store to buy the 2013 version. I was unimpressed with the 2013, I thought there would be more on fantasy land but it was mostly speculation. I didn't end up buying it. I think the website subscription would be fine. I would get the book if you also want info on the restaurants because those have probably changed a lot since 2009.

Thx! That's what I was feeling when I browsed it the other day. I didn't think of the restaurant section though!

I use the passporter often and like it better. Have you looked at that?

It definitely has changed enough from 2009. For what it's worth, I find that I can spend an afternoon with a Starbucks coffee in the Barnes and Noble and get the info I need without making the purchase.

I responded over there to check it out from the library.

The problem with guidebooks is that the 2013 edition is published in last 2012, which means it's info from mid-2012. This is so with all guidebooks.

I'll add here....if I were going to pay for a book (vs getting it at the library) I would get the Passporter (and I DO do that), because you can get electronic updates to your current edition.

We buy an updated version every 3 years. I was at Barnes and Nobles today reading the 2013. We're are the three little pigs resort and dwarf caverns resorts? The book talks about them but never heard of them before.

Thx! That's what I was feeling when I browsed it the other day. I didn't think of the restaurant section though!

I love the UG, but not for the restaurant section. You can see complete menus online, so I generally don't read about restaurants in guidebooks. The exception is character meals, where just looking at the menu won't give you a sense of the experience.

I like Passporter for its section on Disney hotels.

If you pay for the UG subscription, you can get the full App. Last year I found it to be the best app. Much better than the official Disney app, which never worked well on the Droid that I had at the time. (Obviously there may have been improvements in other apps in the past year.)

I checked out UG13 from the library. I've read a good deal of it and I haven't read any of the other versions, but I can tell you that there is almost nothing on AoA or the new Fantasyland in there. Even on the big hotel comparison charts, the spaces for AoA are mostly filled with -. I did take it to work and copy some of the pages that I liked (like the important phone numbers chart and a couple of the touring plans), but I don't feel that it would be worth it for me to buy.

Thx! I will look at the Passporter, that's nice about the electronic updates. I do try to go to BN and look though, but, with a 2.5 yo my time there is limited :)

I got both the 2012 and 2013 from the library. Highly recommend it as it's free and you have a few weeks to look it over. There weren't many changes from 2012 to 2013 but I would imagine there would be considerable changes since 2009.

I have the 2011 guide and the 2013 (thinking, like you that there would be a lot on New Fantasyland) they are almost the same book! Maybe a bit more than speculation from '11 to '13 and they do give a little info on the NF restaurants but that's about it! I was pretty disappointed!

I have the 2011 guide and the 2013 (thinking, like you that there would be a lot on New Fantasyland) they are almost the same book! Maybe a bit more than speculation from '11 to '13 and they do give a little info on the NF restaurants but that's about it! I was pretty disappointed!

That's what I was worried about :(

I got both the 2012 and 2013 from the library. Highly recommend it as it's free and you have a few weeks to look it over. There weren't many changes from 2012 to 2013 but I would imagine there would be considerable changes since 2009.

I would totally get it out of the library but 2010 is the most recent one they have!

I would check out the 2010 and just use online or another guidebook like Passporters for the New Fantasyland things. Not much will have changed from the 2010 on the basics! I've heard great things about PPs though and even though I'm a seasoned Disney goer if I had the money I'd buy it with the online extras! However, if you're spending money on a guidebook I would not go with the 2013 and waste $16+ on not too much info on what you want! :) Hope you have a great trip though!!

I would check out the 2010 and just use online or another guidebook like Passporters for the New Fantasyland things. Not much will have changed from the 2010 on the basics! I've heard great things about PPs though and even though I'm a seasoned Disney goer if I had the money I'd buy it with the online extras! However, if you're spending money on a guidebook I would not go with the 2013 and waste $16+ on not too much info on what you want! :) Hope you have a great trip though!!

The only main thing to remember is if you are using a touring plan written prior to 2012-2013 they may tell you to pull fastpasses to use past their return time and you can no longer due that. Other than that most info will be repetitive. I think the big changes will come to the 2014 or 2015 versions depending on when fp+ comes out. If I remember last year the 2013 guide came out around sept/oct.

I had the 2011 and got the 2013 as well. Thinking back on it, I think I should have just skipped it because I ended up paying for touringplans.com anyway - which gives you the touring plans and crowd schedules and all that other fun info. I'd say if you have a recent copy of UG, I would just supplement it with the online stuff. Or, maybe check the library or ask around to see if someone can loan you a copy.

Thx all! I did get the subscrip online but think I'll just browse it at BN one day and maybe get passporter :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter