Universal trip - Hyatt Place or Crowne Plaza - best hotel within walking distance

famofour

Mouseketeer
We're looking at off-site hotels within reasonable walking distance to US, IOA and CityWalk. Have been reading many reviews on various sites.

We've sort of narrowed it down to these:

Hyatt Place nearest Universal - we can get an awesome rate of $546 for 6 nights for a standard

Crowne Plaza near Universal - This one is a higher in price - $1200 for the 6 nights

Would appreciate others comments, reviews, recommendations...

Thanks!

Definitely the Hyatt Place hands down. It's right across the street from Universal's parking structure. We stayed at the Hyatt Place this past August (2 rooms because we have 4 kids) and had a blast. Free continental breakfast with Starbucks coffee, rooms were very spacious and well-appointed and the staff was very helpful and friendly. They also have a free shuttle to Universal (even though it's just across the street) 2 times each morning.

The Crowne Plaza is about 2-3 miles from Universal, definitely not walking distance at all. We stayed here about 7 years ago and it is more geared toward business travelers. Valet parking was $24 and they had free self parking but the walk from the lot to the lobby elevators was about 3 blocks. I also felt very self-conscious about any little noise my kids made because it seemed to bother the "suits" everywhere. Definitely not a place I'm in a hurry to go back to.

Overall I feel the Hyatt Place is a better deal because it's much closer to Universal, has free breakfast and costs a whole lot less.

Thanks for the reply! I've been reading and reading and reading over reviews on various sites and just can't bring myself to click that 'checkout' button!

The price for Hyatt Place can't be beat ($546 for 6 nights). We just want to be sure we can actually walk to the parks. I've read some reviews about fences being up around the parks and so it's not as easy to walk to the parks from the off-site parks as it seems. Is there any truth to that?

Our checklists of must-haves in a hotel stay are simple:
1) CLEAN
2) friendly and helpful staff
3) nice pool area
4) restaurants nearby - within walking

My wife and I got the Hyatt Place on a Priceline bid for a steal last year. I wasn't sure what to expect . . . I also read the reviews online stating that it's too far to walk. It's not. I'm not a very athletic individual. If you can walk around a theme park all day, you can make the walk to the park. It takes less time to walk there than to take the bus, because the bus stops at 5 million other hotels after the HP. You just walk up the road, past a few hotels, cross the main road that runs in front of the UO parking structure . . . you'll be to the right of them, right by the kennels. At that point, you're only slightly farther away than people in the parking garages. It's not that much more walking than it would be parking in the one that is farthest from the park entryway. Maybe an extra 5 minutes, if that. Don't sweat it!

The rooms were WAY better than expected. It was pretty fancy for us. We're DVC members now, and I must say that the HP rooms are way better than the ones in Disney's Beach Club Villas. It was a modern decor, and they have HUGE flat panel TVs in there. It's set up like a studio apartment, with a little kitchenette and all. no microwave, just a wet bar and a fridge. You'll dig it, unless you are a Ritz-Carlton frequent stayer. :thumbsup2 Even then, it's a great place for the money and then some.

The free breakfast is a nice bonus. You can swipe an extra cup of milk and cereal to go & stick it in your fridge for a midnight snack. Nobody will care. And if you want to do Citywalk -- this is great -- no taxis required! You could easily walk back to the room intoxicated. It's a mild trek, but definitely doable. If you're on this forum, I assume you can handle a kamikaze park day, in which case you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip!

Our checklists of must-haves in a hotel stay are simple:
1) CLEAN
2) friendly and helpful staff
3) nice pool area
4) restaurants nearby - within walking

The pool area at Hyatt Place is pretty basic -- pool, a few tables and chaise lounges. Clean and adequate, but not very fancy. If this is really important you may want to choose the Crowne Plaza.

Within walking distance of the HP there is a TGIFridays, Cracker Barrel, Ponderosa and Chinese Restaurant, in addition to the restaurants at Citywalk.

HP really IS within walking distance to Universal -- we did it many times in the 2 weeks we were there in August with our kids.

Thanks for post this. I near my choices down to Hyatt Place and Marriott Fairfield Inn or SpringHill Suites. Both hotels I can get for free rewards cards too.

We stayed at HP last July. Got it on Priceline for $30/night and it was a great stay! We walked to Universal once, probably would have done it more, but it was hot. I didn't find the shuttle to be bad, seems like it took us 20 minutes to get there. A cab from Universal was $5. Breakfast was good. The room was HUGE---2 beds and the dressers and bathroom on one side of the room and the other side had lots of open floor space, a sleeper sofa and a bar area with a fridge and sink. The TV was a nice flat panel and there was a place to plug in computers and electronics. Wi Fi was free. I am hoping to get HP again when I do Priceline for next summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter