Universal re-evaluating SeussLand?

The smart move would have been for them to keep their mouth shut. Guaranteed they have pissed off some people because they said something, later they will piss off other people when they don't do anything.

When I think back to what books were a part of Seussland, the easiest one to think of is the Sneetches. The theme of which is that appearances don't matter. Maybe that is an anti-woke idea.

I think it wouldn't be too hard to change the play area and the few signs that reference those books, if they decide they want to do that. It's not like they would have to alter or remove any of the rides or major set pieces in the area. And I definitely don't think they would change it wholesale like Disney is doing with Splash Mountain. More like the Pirates Red trade-out, if anything.

Did you guys not read some of those books? There are some very racist imagery. I can't believe anyone would against "remove the racist stuff" but here we are.

I can't believe this is a controversial option, but good for Universal for doing an evaluation and removing what needs to be removed.

Books are banned, but you can still find them to read them. The publisher doesn't stop publishing them. This is removing them completely, so I have no idea what was offensive. I can't see for myself.

Should the publishers pull these books from the shelves?

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/decade2019

The mascot for the Boston Celtics is racist, yet nary a peep.
Notre Dame “Fighting Irish”. Really?

c’mon man,

The mascot for the Boston Celtics is racist, yet nary a peep.
Notre Dame “Fighting Irish”. Really?

c’mon man,

I don't control everything, "man." I would say that groups that have been historically marginalized and are still marginalized today should have more focus. I'm just saying that removing racist cartoons from a theme park is a good thing. Who is arguing with that?

Books are banned, but you can still find them to read them. The publisher doesn't stop publishing them. This is removing them completely, so I have no idea what was offensive. I can't see for myself.

Should the publishers pull these books from the shelves?

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/decade2019

Yes, remove racist stuff from kids entertainment. Once again, this shouldn't be something that's arguable.

Honestly, if you are against removing racist stuff from a theme park, what does that say about you? Also... this isn't going to affect much of anything at Universal, if anything at all, so why is everyone so angry? I think Universal is just trying to make the park a more fun place for everyone who visits.

How much longer before we become like Fahrenheit 451?

Where do we draw the line? Censorship galore.

Censorship like that is banning a book from being printed in a country, or being arrested for possessing it. This is a private company deciding to not publish a book and another company deciding not to sell it. Not sure how you are connecting the dots here. Seems like you are afraid of a non issue.

And, once again, this is about racist imagery. I don't see why it's bad to realize there was an issue with it and then correct the problem. We are growing and learning everyday, why not embrace that?

We have a few of the books banned and DD is 10, so it hasn't been that long ago. I forget the title, the one with Pool in the title, I have no idea what the problem is. There aren't even more than a few people in the book. On the Mulberry Street book, is the problem the guy eating with chopsticks? When the book was written, in middle America, chopstick eating was so exotic it was worth stopping and watching. Just a week ago, DH mentioned an online video comparing chopstick methods from different countries. (So, it is still worth observing, and they were all very different)

Now if they were banning the 500 hats ones, I'd be good with that. :) It was so tedious I only read every third page and DD never noticed. The Lorax was annoying to read-aloud. Reading 'Thneed' somehow made my nose vibrate.

At around the time of the American Revolution, a group in Belgium that published a banned book list, censored their own list because people where using it as a reading list. Knowing that I'm amused by that tells you what I think about censoring.

A patent can be made invalid if don't use it, and aren't in the process of getting ready to use it. One idea, would be to remove the copyright in these situations. Maybe after a small number of years.

It probably depends on what gets done with the books in the long term. There has been talk of the possibility of ones that was just a matter of the images and not the writing that they might just do new illustrations, in which case they can ignore any changes. Most of these books were not well known. IT was 6 our of dozens and none of the popular well known ones are being pulled. Think all they have is the If I ran the Zoo play area they could rename and a store whose name references Mullbery street that could just get a new name as well.

This isn't about censorship, or wokeness, or cancel culture. Dr. Seuss' estate decided last year, on their own, that they didn't want to publish 6 - out of 60 - books that they decided have offensive content. I can't for the life of me figure out why people have flipped out so much about this! It's really not that big a deal that a private company is pulling some of their lesser-known books because the company considers them offensive today. People are legitimately this upset about it? Baffling.

Did you guys not read some of those books? There are some very racist imagery. I can't believe anyone would against "remove the racist stuff" but here we are.

I can't believe this is a controversial option, but good for Universal for doing an evaluation and removing what needs to be removed.

I realize this is Universal... but why have the Hall of Presidents at Disney? Thats a bigger issue than ficticious racist cartoon characters or images.

The answer to your question is there would be no theme park and no world if we erased everything.

Did you know the actor of the movie transformers has a checkered past? Why are we encouraging people to watch the movie? I could play that game with literally every single attraction.

I realize this is Universal... but why have the Hall of Presidents at Disney? Thats a bigger issue than ficticious racist cartoon characters or images.

The answer to your question is there would be no theme park and no world if we erased everything.

Did you know the actor of the movie transformers has a checkered past? Why are we encouraging people to watch the movie? I could play that game with literally every single attraction.

Speaking of checked pasts. What about Walt Disney being a Nazi sympathizer? Wouldn't that eliminate going to any of the Disney parks?

There have been several times in the last few years that I've learned a really dark thing about someone that was a hero. As in my first reaction is, "What a douche!" is the mildest reaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter