Universal newbie questions

Kalea

Mouseketeer
Hi there everyone. We are Disney vets planning our first trip to Universal and I'm hoping you guys can help me answer a few questions and/or tell me if my lines of thought are correct.

We're a family of 4 (kids are an adventurous 5 and less adventurous 10). We have done the math until our eyes bled, and decided to book a 2-night stay in January at RPH and to buy annual passes--3 power passes and one preferred pass. We plan to come back twice--perhaps 3 times at the most--before the annual passes expire.

My questions:
- We have always relied upon Josh for WDW touring plans. Can anyone point me to something similar for Universal? Which gods we can sacrifice to that will convince Josh to make a touring plan for Universal's 2 parks?
- What is rope drop like at Universal?
- With early entry + express pass, do you prioritize the rides without express passes or the headliners? Or is there a different strategy entirely?
- We are super tempted to book Blue Man Group since this trip in January is for the kids' birthdays. If we do, we'll book the 6/7pm show, which will mean sacrificing some park time. Is it worth it? Especially for a first visit?
- I've read that Universal doesn't like bags on rides. Are small bags or wristlets okay? If I want to avoid the locker stuff, do I need to buy a fanny pack?

I have a billion more questions but I'm trying to edit myself a bit. Thank you for reading and THANK YOU for any answers, advice, or tips!

My questions:
- We have always relied upon Josh for WDW touring plans. Can anyone point me to something similar for Universal? Which gods we can sacrifice to that will convince Josh to make a touring plan for Universal's 2 parks?
- With early entry + express pass, do you prioritize the rides without express passes or the headliners? Or is there a different strategy entirely?
- We are super tempted to book Blue Man Group since this trip in January is for the kids' birthdays. If we do, we'll book the 6/7pm show, which will mean sacrificing some park time. Is it worth it? Especially for a first visit?
- I've read that Universal doesn't like bags on rides. Are small bags or wristlets okay? If I want to avoid the locker stuff, do I need to buy a fanny pack?

I'm not familiar with a site like Josh's for Universal, but these forums will be very helpful. I also recommend listening to the Dis Unplugged Universal edition podcasts. They have some older ones that really cover everything you need to know, and are very helpful.

The best part about Universal is that you don't really need a strategy or much of a plan at all. With express pass and taking advantage of early entry, you'll have more than enough time to hit everything - especially in January. I would focus on Potter stuff in the morning, mostly because Gringotts and Forbidden Journey do not have express pass, so those lines will build later in the day.

In January, both parks will likely close around 6-7pm. This is normal for Universal. So, you wouldn't lose much park time at all if you do Blue Man Group. Universal doesn't really have nighttime entertainment, save for the Cinematic Spectacular at the Studios which is nothing to write home about IMO. We always end our park days around 3-4pm so we can take advantage of the awesome pools at our resort, and then clean up and have dinner and do some shopping at City Walk.

Even a fanny pack won't work on Dueling Dragons and Rip Ride Rockit. A wristlet or small bag is a no-go on any ride with lockers, but a fanny pack will work on some since it has a three prong clasp except for the two rides mentioned. Really, the lockers are not much of a hassle. They take an extra 30 seconds before and after the ride. Couldn't be any easier.

If you are staying at RPH (or any of the Universal on-site hotels other than Cabana Bay) then your room key is a permanent Express Pass (Uni's version of FP+) for all the rides except the big Harry Potter ones (Gringotts and Forbidden Journey). With your room key getting you past most of the lines you really won't need a touring plan, in 2 or 3 days you'll have plenty of time to do pretty much everything.

Staying onsite gets you in to the parks (some days it is one park or the other, sometimes it is both). You can ride the big Harry Potter rides then without much wait. If only one of the parks is open early you can do that one's HP ride then get on the Hogwart's Express and ride over to the other park just before opening.

Uni has been preventing ANY loose articles on their coasters (Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Rip Ride Rocket) for a while now. You cant take anything into line, not even pocket change - it all has to go in a (free) locker. All the other rides you'll be fine with small items.

Hi there! I can tackle some of these for you!

One of my favorite things about vacationing at Universal is that you really don't need a detailed touring plan! There is much more freedom to simply do what you want to do, when you want to do it. :-) That being said, there are a number of well-respected touring plan websites out there. A Google search will bring up several choices, and all of them have their pros and cons. Some are free, others require a paid subscription...

We generally try to arrive around 20-30 minutes before the scheduled opening time (or Early Entry time for onsite guests - that'll be you!). There's no ceremony or anything. They simply open the gates and start letting people through the turnstiles. :-) If you're going during EE, only certain areas/attractions will be open, and team members will be guiding your way to those areas!

Many people opt to prioritize the rides that don't have EP, especially during Early Entry in the Harry Potter areas.

I love Blue Man Group. The parks tend to close around the 7:00 mark in the off-season, if I'm remembering correctly, so it won't require a huge sacrifice of park time. It's definitely a fun show.

For the big coasters, you can't have anything on you. For some of the other rides that have lockers, you may be able to get away with a three-prong fanny pack. No wristlets or other bags, though. Honestly, the lockers are not a big deal, especially in the off-season.

This is the best place to come for answers to your questions. Keep 'em coming. :-D

If you are staying at RPH (or any of the Universal on-site hotels other than Cabana Bay) then your room key is a permanent Express Pass (Uni's version of FP+) for all the rides except the big Harry Potter ones (Gringotts and Forbidden Journey).

Uni has been preventing ANY loose articles on their coasters (Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Rip Ride Rocket) for a while now. You cant take anything into line, not even pocket change - it all has to go in a (free) locker. All the other rides you'll be fine with small items.

A few nitpicky things here...

*Your room key no longer serves as your Express Pass. It used to be this way, but several years ago they changed it a bit. You use your room key at a kiosk in the hotel lobby in order to print a paper EP that is a separate item.

*On rides like Mummy and Men in Black, you definitely won't be fine with small items in general. They're very specific about what they'll allow... many folks here have had good luck with a three-prong, low-profile fanny pack.... but definitely not with a wristlet or other type of bag.

Your room key isn't express pass anymore.You take the room key to an express pass kiosk in the lobby of the resort and make your express pass.it has your name, length of stay and photo on it.
No need for any real touring plans other than worrying about the rides that don't have express pass
For the big coasters..NO loose articles of any kind and that includes fanny packs
On the other rides (MIB, Mummy, HP forbidden journey, Gringotts) you would need to lock up anything that is not a 3prong-clasp fanny pack.

Thank you so much everyone!

It's going to take me a few minutes to wrap my head around not needing a touring plan. I'll still need to sketch something rough out, just because I'm a planner. But it does sound nice to not have to schedule every little detail.

If the lockers are no big deal, then I'll just bring my standard Kavu bag and not worry about it. That's a relief!

Your room key isn't express pass anymore.You take the room key to an express pass kiosk in the lobby of the resort and make your express pass.it has your name, length of stay and photo on it.

On the other rides (MIB, Mummy, HP forbidden journey, Gringotts) you would need to lock up anything that is not a 3prong-clasp fanny pack.

Am I correct in thinking that we'll have 2 items (room key + express pass) per person? We'll need to show the express pass every time we wish to use it, but the room key is just for early entry and hotel room entry?

I love Blue Man Group. The parks tend to close around the 7:00 mark in the off-season, if I'm remembering correctly, so it won't require a huge sacrifice of park time. It's definitely a fun show.

Okay, you sold me on it! Now I just need to decide if I'm cool enough for the poncho section, lol

Am I correct in thinking that we'll have 2 items (room key + express pass) per person? We'll need to show the express pass every time we wish to use it, but the room key is just for early entry and hotel room entry?

Three items, really... park ticket, room key, and express pass. I wear a lanyard and make a sandwich that goes in the clear pocket: Park ticket facing out on one side, express pass facing out on the other side, room key in the middle. You are correct that the only times you'll actually need the room key are to verify that you're eligible for early entry and to get in to your hotel room.

Three items, really... park ticket, room key, and express pass. I wear a lanyard and make a sandwich that goes in the clear pocket: Park ticket facing out on one side, express pass facing out on the other side, room key in the middle. You are correct that the only times you'll actually need the room key are to verify that you're eligible for early entry and to get in to your hotel room.

Park tickets slipped my mind. No big deal, just literally the only thing you absolutely need to get into the park at all.... ;) I'm definitely going to look for a lanyard that can hold everything.

Thank you for your help!

I wish Josh would do Universal too. I love his site! Luckily, Universal takes a lot less planning. I use these forums as well as Orlando Informer.

We still get to rope drop at US/IOA and take advantage of the early hour when on-site. We were rope droppers for Disney too and do both at about the same time, which is about 20 minutes early. (We're off-season for both).

We haven't done Blue Man Group yet, but are going for the first time in less than 2 months. Due to one child not wanting to go to bed too late and another child with sensory issues, we are going to a special sensory-friendly show and it's at 6pm. Otherwise, the only times I could find for our dates were later - after the park was closed. (I can't remember what time the park closes when I'm going. In the past, it closed at 6pm when we were there. I think it's 7pm for our upcoming trip though). We have multiple days at US/IOA though so we don't mind a shorter day at IOA/US.

About bags, if one person doesn't do a ride, then you won't have to worry about the lockers. So if your 5 year old isn't tall enough for Forbidden Journey, then it's easy to use rider swap. (Same with Hulk, Dragon Challenge, RRR). But, he's likely tall enough for Men in Black. Some rides have free lockers right outside of them. For others, you can rent a locker if needed.

Instead of doing a touring plan, just plan the first few rides/attractions of your day. Another tip - the stores in the HP area were super crowded when I went last and it was on a quiet day. They don't have a lot of room to walk around in them so it doesn't take much. So, hit the stores at the end of the day if they're too crowded. Look up the ride height requirements so you know ahead of time what your kids will be tall enough for. Also, look at the different menus and decide where you may want to eat. That should give you enough planning to make you more relaxed without having to do Disney level planning. :)

Park tickets slipped my mind. No big deal, just literally the only thing you absolutely need to get into the park at all.... ;) I'm definitely going to look for a lanyard that can hold everything.

I'm such a nerd... On a few trips I've waited until I'm at the park (or at the Universal story in Citywalk) to buy a Universal (OK, let's be honest here - a Harry Potter) lanyard to use for the trip. Just one more fun thing to look forward to. :-)

But, lots of folks do indeed purchase lanyards elsewhere for this purpose too!

I wish Josh would do Universal too. I love his site! Luckily, Universal takes a lot less planning. I use these forums as well as Orlando Informer.

We still get to rope drop at US/IOA and take advantage of the early hour when on-site. We were rope droppers for Disney too and do both at about the same time, which is about 20 minutes early. (We're off-season for both).

We haven't done Blue Man Group yet, but are going for the first time in less than 2 months. Due to one child not wanting to go to bed too late and another child with sensory issues, we are going to a special sensory-friendly show and it's at 6pm. Otherwise, the only times I could find for our dates were later - after the park was closed. (I can't remember what time the park closes when I'm going. In the past, it closed at 6pm when we were there. I think it's 7pm for our upcoming trip though). We have multiple days at US/IOA though so we don't mind a shorter day at IOA/US.

About bags, if one person doesn't do a ride, then you won't have to worry about the lockers. So if your 5 year old isn't tall enough for Forbidden Journey, then it's easy to use rider swap. (Same with Hulk, Dragon Challenge, RRR). But, he's likely tall enough for Men in Black. Some rides have free lockers right outside of them. For others, you can rent a locker if needed.

Instead of doing a touring plan, just plan the first few rides/attractions of your day. Another tip - the stores in the HP area were super crowded when I went last and it was on a quiet day. They don't have a lot of room to walk around in them so it doesn't take much. So, hit the stores at the end of the day if they're too crowded. Look up the ride height requirements so you know ahead of time what your kids will be tall enough for. Also, look at the different menus and decide where you may want to eat. That should give you enough planning to make you more relaxed without having to do Disney level planning. :)

Thank you for your suggestions! My 5-year-old is 47" barefoot, so we're definitely planning on Men in Black. I'm actually more concerned about rides that while she's tall enough for but are not geared towards kids that age. She loves Thunder Mtn and Splash Mtn, but I've no idea whether the Mummy or Forbidden Journey would spook her.

Definitely going to dive into restaurant research here shortly. We always go to WDW during free dining, so I have to keep reminding myself that we can go off site at Universal. :)

Thank you again and I hope your family enjoys your upcoming trip!

I carry two lanyards (over the top, I know), and I leave them on all the time. I also carry my cell phone all the time and slip it in my pocket for rides. My party won't do the big roller coasters with me, so I skip RRR and Dragon Challenge - I'm sure all of that would have to go in the locker for those.

I carry one of these with my debit card, room key, and any cash I am carrying: http://www.amazon.com/WITZ-Waterproof-Badge-Holder-Clear/dp/B001P5Y08C/ref=sr_1_56?ie=UTF8&qid=1444761219&sr=8-56&keywords=water+proof+lanyard+case

I also carry a smaller one with the express pass and park ticket both facing in a scan-able direction. This one has a hook that I can unfasten to hand it to someone who needs to scan one of these.

She loves Thunder Mtn and Splash Mtn, but I've no idea whether the Mummy or Forbidden Journey would spook her.

My daughter was not ready for Forbidden Journey on our last US/IOA trip. She was 7 and loved thrill rides but the intensity of FJ would have been too much for her. (Her favorite ride is the Aerosmith roller coaster at Disney - so she loves intense in the way of movement). She is doing FJ this year at 9. However, Mummy wasn't nearly as intense. It's still not a relaxing ride, but it won't seem like a giant spider is jumping out at least. She did fine on Mummy as soon as she was tall enough. Even my eldest, who doesn't like intense rides, liked Mummy. (He said he liked FJ too, and he loves Harry Potter. However, he didn't want to do it a second time so I think it was borderline too intense for him. A second time wouldn't have involved waiting, as we were doing rider swap so he could have done it twice in a row).

I normally hate lanyards but they are definitely the way to go at Universal. When you use Express Pass, you'll need to show it and then have it scanned at two different places in the queue. So you'll want those easily accessible at all times.

I normally hate lanyards but they are definitely the way to go at Universal. When you use Express Pass, you'll need to show it and then have it scanned at two different places in the queue. So you'll want those easily accessible at all times.

We hate lanyards too. Going to Universal for the first time at the end of the month. Now I am wondering if I should order a few from amazon to take with?? I was hoping not to use them but everything I am reading suggests using them.

We hate lanyards too. Going to Universal for the first time at the end of the month. Now I am wondering if I should order a few from amazon to take with?? I was hoping not to use them but everything I am reading suggests using them.

They do have Universal-themed lanyards at every store there, so you could buy one while you're there if you find it would make it easier. It of course would be more expensive than the ones on Amazon. If you can find some for a couple bucks online, might not hurt to buy it and bring it just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter