Universal Newbie - Cannot Decide on Resort - Help!

Poly-Or-Boardwalk

Earning My Ears
Help wanted :)

Our family has been to Disney many many times. We have not ventured to Universal. I went for the day back in 2000 (Studios only) and while I liked the atmosphere, I just wasn't sold and haven't returned.

Fast forward to now - four kids (20, 16, 14 & 7) and the seven year old is now into Harry Potter and is a thrill seeker as well - the discussion on Universal is now a consideration. The problem is, I am having a very hard time determining which resort is best for our group and would love some insight.

A few things about us:
1) We have done mostly deluxe at Disney - Wilderness, Boardwalk, Saratoga Springs and our most recent stay was Art of Animation which we adored (sans the big kids).
2) We love concierge. Can't help it, just do.
3) We have six people in most travel scenarios, but this trip could likely be just five of us (not the 20 year old). We love good food and good beer.
4) We also enjoy, when available the ability to have a separate master area - however, club is probably more important than having a separate master sleeping area.
5) I don't think Cabana Bay is for us - I could be wrong, but the theming just wouldn't hit it off with my crew - has zero to do with amenities.
6) I like the look of Sapphire Falls more than Royal Pacific (odd?) but noticed that there is a differentiation between the two and one has no club or Express Pass?

Here are opinions I would love to know about any of the Universal Resorts
-Which pool is the best and why?
-Which club level was most enjoyable and had the best variety?
-We are big on themes and aesthetics - help me understand what each resort feels like and what each does well or not so well.

Thank you! Photos welcome!

Go to the UO resort forum

There are hotel stickies for all 5 hotels

Details about the hotel, the amenities and pictures in the 3 deluxe stickies

The other two also has the same basis

That would help narrow I think down to a couple of hotels to consider

Cbay is a value ane Sfalls is a moderate

Keep in mind which hotels offer the unlimited express pass too. Your traveling party might want that option. In that case it will drop your choices down to 3- HR, portafino and RPR.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with loving Club Level.........yep, RPR has Club Level and EP. Sapphire Falls, although a beautiful resort has no Club nor does it have EP, but you do get Early Entry.

As for choice, as Mac says have a look at the hotel stickies.......we have put loads of pictures in them of all the hotels........it may help you decide what will suit you and your family best.

1) We have done mostly deluxe at Disney - Wilderness, Boardwalk, Saratoga Springs and our most recent stay was Art of Animation which we adored (sans the big kids).

We have stayed at Portofino Bay and Royal Pacific at USO. I think RPR is cooler than even the Poly at WDW. PBR is an Italian feel.

2) We love concierge. Can't help it, just do.

Nice! Both RPR and PBR have club level. RPR's is one one floor where your room is. PBR lounge is off of the main lobby and your room could be anywhere in the building.

3) We have six people in most travel scenarios, but this trip could likely be just five of us (not the 20 year old). We love good food and good beer.

You could get a deluxe, club level room at PBR for all five of you. It is spacious and has a nice, big bathroom area.

4) We also enjoy, when available the ability to have a separate master area - however, club is probably more important than having a separate master sleeping area.

We did two rooms at RPR (smaller, cheaper cost) and on the club level (same floor as room). We used the club lounge as a living room. Would go there so the teens could use the bathrooms alone. With two rooms, we had two bathrooms. Worked out great for cost and to get 6 of us on vacation together.

5) I don't think Cabana Bay is for us - I could be wrong, but the theming just wouldn't hit it off with my crew - has zero to do with amenities.

You are allowed to 'pool hop' and visit all of the other resorts on USO property. CB has two pools you can try out. One has a lazy river, one a short slide. For what it is worth, my teens (20, 18, 16) love CB resort so much, we went back for a 10-day there!

6) I like the look of Sapphire Falls more than Royal Pacific (odd?) but noticed that there is a differentiation between the two and one has no club or Express Pass?

Both PBR and RPR have the EP, club level and great pools. You will love either choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter