Umbrella / lightweight Stroller recommendations for 4 month old

messyjessy

Mouseketeer
Need something durable for our week at WDW. Any recommendations?

Would like it to be
  • Umbrella / lightweight Stroller
  • possibly recline (not a deal breaker if it can't)
  • durable wheels (not plastic & noisy)
  • has a sun shade/ canopy
  • Safe for a 4 month old
  • easy to open and close
Is there a stroller out there that fits these parameters?

any suggestions are appreciated!

Do you own one already or are you going to rent? We own an Uppababy Vista that was perfect when we were at MK with a newborn (he was 6wks old). I also used an Ergo depending on what made him happier. I don't like umbrella strollers at the parks since they sit lower and it's harder to stash all of the newborn baby stuff underneath (we have the G Luxe umbrella stroller). If you are renting, I saw that some of the rental companies have City Minis that are great for the week.

I wouldn't do an umbrella stroller personally. They are too hard to push. Handles tend to be lower and wheels often get hung up. To have a baby that young you will have to have a stroller that can lay near flat. Plus you will need an oversized canopy to block the sun. My advice is a city mini. It's lightweight and folds with 1 hand. Super easy for buses! We bought ours when we were taking our newborn (12 weeks old) to Disney 3 yrs ago. I have never regretted this purchase! This is our 4th child and have owed many many strollers! Best by far!

Do you own one already or are you going to rent? We own an Uppababy Vista that was perfect when we were at MK with a newborn (he was 6wks old). I also used an Ergo depending on what made him happier. I don't like umbrella strollers at the parks since they sit lower and it's harder to stash all of the newborn baby stuff underneath (we have the G Luxe umbrella stroller). If you are renting, I saw that some of the rental companies have City Minis that are great for the week.
I haven't purchased one yet. I have a peg perego system but it is really large. Two days I will be solo with the kids and driving to the parks. Need something easy to get on the tram and to push.

I wouldn't do an umbrella stroller personally. They are too hard to push. Handles tend to be lower and wheels often get hung up. To have a baby that young you will have to have a stroller that can lay near flat. Plus you will need an oversized canopy to block the sun. My advice is a city mini. It's lightweight and folds with 1 hand. Super easy for buses! We bought ours when we were taking our newborn (12 weeks old) to Disney 3 yrs ago. I have never regretted this purchase! This is our 4th child and have owed many many strollers! Best by far!
Is the citi mini able to get on the tram (parking lot)?
I'm going to be solo for a few days with the kids and need something easy to fold and unfold by myself.

Is the citi mini able to get on the tram (parking lot)?
I'm going to be solo for a few days with the kids and need something easy to fold and unfold by myself.

We rented a double city mini the last two times we were at Disney. It is very easy to fold one handed. The single should be easy to get on and off the trams by yourself. My husband usually handled the double one, but I was able to do it if needed. It does fold flat for nap time too, which is great with an infant.

I agree with not wanting an umbrella stroller. They are way too hard to push. I would go for the easy pushing (all day long) over the easy loading and unloading (isolated throughout the day).

Joovy Groove Utralight - this folds like an umbrella, but it's much nicer. It's very sturdy, the wheels are solid, it reclines and has a large canopy. The handles are very comfortable, too - it was tall enough that even my husband didn't have to hunch over to push it. We took this to Disney and several other places and have been very impressed with the quality ... so much that we bought another Joovy for our running stroller.

The only downside is price (if you were looking for something cheaper). It's $189 at a lot of places right now ... but when I bought my running stroller, I used a Bed Bath & Beyond coupon. Hope that helps!

We rented a double city mini the last two times we were at Disney. It is very easy to fold one handed. The single should be easy to get on and off the trams by yourself. My husband usually handled the double one, but I was able to do it if needed. It does fold flat for nap time too, which is great with an infant.

I agree with not wanting an umbrella stroller. They are way too hard to push. I would go for the easy pushing (all day long) over the easy loading and unloading (isolated throughout the day).
Where did you rent from?
Don't really want to spend another $350 for a stroller system. I have limited space at home (Condo) and already have a whole travel system. I do want something easy to push/ maneuver but also lightweight.

Joovy Groove Utralight - this folds like an umbrella, but it's much nicer. It's very sturdy, the wheels are solid, it reclines and has a large canopy. The handles are very comfortable, too - it was tall enough that even my husband didn't have to hunch over to push it. We took this to Disney and several other places and have been very impressed with the quality ... so much that we bought another Joovy for our running stroller.

The only downside is price (if you were looking for something cheaper). It's $189 at a lot of places right now ... but when I bought my running stroller, I used a Bed Bath & Beyond coupon. Hope that helps!
How are the wheels on the joovy? Are they plastic or rubber?
Just wondering. I don't like noisy wheels. lol

How are the wheels on the joovy? Are they plastic or rubber?
Just wondering. I don't like noisy wheels. lol

We have the Joovy 'Groove' lightweight single stroller as one of our 'single' strollers. This is super light weight for its size, it has great weeks and the big benefits are the size of the canopy for sun protection, and the fact it reclines a lot and allows the lower leg rest to fulfill up to create a 'bed' like platform for kits to sleep. It is only a one handed fold system that auto locks. This is a great single stroller!

https://www.amazon.com/Joovy-Groove-Umbrella-Stroller-Greenie/dp/B0085KJULW

The wheels are actually much bigger than they look which is a positive. We use this exact color model to take our youngest by himself. Moderately priced but very well built, we have had ours for 5+ years and the only signs of wear are on the canopy where the wheels touch when folded. (design pet peeve!) They are a plastic wheel with a rubber outer surface component so you don't sound like a MontiPython coconut horse going down main street ;o)

IF you are considering a double stroller, I would recommend scouring craigslist and the like for a City Mini Double Stroller or the CityMini GT double. We upgraded to the GT over a year ago and it is a god send, THE best stroller we have had ever and we have had almost all the major brands and models throughout the years. The width of the City mini double is not a lot more than some of the single strollers! Which is mind boggling when you consider the additional load capacity. However, at almost $600 new, it isn't cheap and I understand that this kind of money on a stroller is not feasible for some. I got ours by chance by randomly looking on Craigslist, it was a little beat up and sun damaged. The owners didn't look after it all all. I picked ours up and proceeded to call up Baby Jogger for some replacement parts, they ended up sending us an entire canopy set up and seat / fabric for free as a good will gesture! So there are deals to be had and I love their customer service. There is a reason most companies rent them exclusively at WDW!

Where did you rent from?
Don't really want to spend another $350 for a stroller system. I have limited space at home (Condo) and already have a whole travel system. I do want something easy to push/ maneuver but also lightweight.

I have rented twice from Orlando Stroller and just booked a stroller for our up coming trip in May. Price isn't too bad and it was super easy. They drop it off at bell services and pick it up from there as well if you are staying in a hotel.

This is completely opposite what you asked but here's my 2 cents having traveled a lot with 3 little ones (now 3 elementary age, one with special needs), the strollers we've liked best in the park were our big ones. First the Graco from our travel system, then we moved on to the BOB jogger, now we have a Tomato chair for bigger kids with special needs. We had a Combii that i LOVED but I like the storage basket on the bigger strollers.

If you already have a stroller that you like and are familiar with, especially with storage on the bottom for your diaper bag, snacks, milk, etc, I would really recommend taking it. I'd wear the baby in a carrier or sling while on transportation then switch to the stroller at the park. The brief aggravation you might have getting on or off the tram is well worth the rest of your day being easier. And you won't have to spend money for a rental of something you already own or a second stroller that you don't want to keep at home.

We have an Uppa Baby Vista which we love but I would never travel with it. It's too expensive and too heavy. For that age you really should get one with a good sun canopy and one that reclines as much as possible as they should be as flat as possible when sleeping.

We use a City Mini as our "umbrella" stroller. It's a little bigger then an umbrella but it is super comfortable, has a great shade and folds pretty flat and compact.

How much older are the other kid(s)?

I would rent. We just rented on our last trip from Orlando strollers. I did a double because my 6 year old had a few issues from walking all day. He persevered, but he definitely benefited from having a ride every now and then.

I would do the city mini, either single or double (depending on other kids ages). It has a super easy fold up, which is nice when dealing with little ones.

I baby wear at that age. Much easier than having to deal with a stroller. However, if you're set on a stroller...a 4 month old isn't old enough for an umbrella stroller. You could rent a stroller. We've rented from magic strollers or kingdom strollers. They're nice...fold easy, push easy, and recline so younger ones can nap.

I love my Summer Infant 3D flip. It was great with my 6 month old son during his first disney trip.

I can't picture putting a 4 month old in an umbrella stroller. I would baby wear at that age, or you could rent a stroller. We rented a City Mini and had it delivered to our hotel when our son was 13 months, it worked out well. I think the City Mini can be folded with one hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter