UH Oh possible budget snag....off site hotels

mommymanda

Mouseketeer
We are staying at Disney in August. However we are driving to there, and spreading the 20hour trip over a 2 day span.

My plan is to stay at simple hotels while we are on the road. Nothing fancy, just enough for the night. We would most likely be staying 1-2hours outside of Disney the day before our reservation (but we are not booking anything because there are too many unknowns). That way we can get to the Disney resort and hang out there before our room is ready, have an early start to our trip.

Someone mentioned they also do that, and stop at a value room at Disney that final night. Great idea!

Well when I went to see what that would cost me. I forgot that we are a family of 5 (3,5 and 11year old) :( This means a 'value' room at Disney would cost us $250ish..not what I was hoping for.

Than I realized, is this going to be an issue at ANY hotel we stay at (can you tell we don't vacation often) so even when we stop somewhere along the way we will be paying more? Please tell me other hotels won't do this...if they do it is going to cut our plans and we will have to drive the full night and have a late/grumpy start to our Disney arrival :(

There are some properties that have two beds and a pull out sofa, that sleep 6. they are not as easy to come by as regular rooms, but they are reasonable. I would check Marriott and Hilton properties online and try for a AAA discount.

We are staying at Disney in August. However we are driving to there, and spreading the 20hour trip over a 2 day span.

My plan is to stay at simple hotels while we are on the road. Nothing fancy, just enough for the night. We would most likely be staying 1-2hours outside of Disney the day before our reservation (but we are not booking anything because there are too many unknowns). That way we can get to the Disney resort and hang out there before our room is ready, have an early start to our trip.

Someone mentioned they also do that, and stop at a value room at Disney that final night. Great idea!

Well when I went to see what that would cost me. I forgot that we are a family of 5 (3,5 and 11year old) :( This means a 'value' room at Disney would cost us $250ish..not what I was hoping for.

Than I realized, is this going to be an issue at ANY hotel we stay at (can you tell we don't vacation often) so even when we stop somewhere along the way we will be paying more? Please tell me other hotels won't do this...if they do it is going to cut our plans and we will have to drive the full night and have a late/grumpy start to our Disney arrival :(

We usually drive also from San Antonio and stay a couple of nights on the way up (Lake Charles and maybe somewhere around Tallahassee). The Comfort brands are usually inexpensive. We asked for a rollaway. There may be an upcharge, but sometimes they don't even actually charge it. Have fun:)

Can you bring a twin air mattress, or have the 3 year old sleep with you and DH? Personally, I've never (with the exception of Disney Resorts) said the number of people when making a hotel reservation. I honestly had no idea it could impact the room rate. I know if we were in the same situation, only one of us would go in and request a room, and I don't know if they would ask how many people? If you are nervous about it, could you plan your stops ahead of time to try and research and get deals? Or use Expedia on your phone when you get close to stopping?

We look for country inn and suites, residence inn, springhill suites, or townplace suites. Aaa rate or other online coupons are often useful.

Can you bring a twin air mattress, or have the 3 year old sleep with you and DH? Personally, I've never (with the exception of Disney Resorts) said the number of people when making a hotel reservation. I honestly had no idea it could impact the room rate. I know if we were in the same situation, only one of us would go in and request a room, and I don't know if they would ask how many people? If you are nervous about it, could you plan your stops ahead of time to try and research and get deals? Or use Expedia on your phone when you get close to stopping?

I am generally an honest person generally (I don't even download music illegally LOL), but I would just leave the 3 year old off the reservation and stay at whatever hotel I wanted on the way down if you think your family can make due with two queen beds. Also most hotels don't really seem to care.

Now, I would not try to cram that many people in a value room at Disney with 2 double beds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter