• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Uber or Lyft

lindamomof3

Mouseketeer
Hi. I am wondering if anyone has an recent experience about whether Uber or Lyft felt safer from a Covid perspective. Did either have dividers? Drivers always masked? Trying to figure out if I should rent a car from the airport to the dolphin or could take a ride

Local here,

We use Uber all the time, when you request a ride, you must agree to wear a mask... We have not had any driver not wear a mask, most offered us, a hand wipe or hand sanitizer... We noticed several drivers pulling into a spot at Epcot getting out and wiping down the back seat, door handles windows.. then driving away... On Christmas Day our driver after dropping us off at Epcot, we notice he did this. Not saying every driver but we have seen it... If you want you can bring your own hand wipes and do it yourself, if you feel the need...

Local here,

We use Uber all the time, when you request a ride, you must agree to wear a mask... We have not had any driver not wear a mask, most offered us, a hand wipe or hand sanitizer... We noticed several drivers pulling into a spot at Epcot getting out and wiping down the back seat, door handles windows.. then driving away... On Christmas Day our driver after dropping us off at Epcot, we notice he did this. Not saying every driver but we have seen it... If you want you can bring your own hand wipes and do it yourself, if you feel the need...

Out of curiosity, do you use Uber at Disney frequently (just because you said you were local, I was wondering if it's around Disney property or just uber in general). I ask because we don't ever uber in normal life (live in a rural area), and we took 3 ubers at Disney our last vacation and swore never to do it again. One was great. The second one couldn't find me even though I pinged my location and messaged him. He got lost in the resort parking lot I guess? He was not wearing his mask and we had to ask him to. I then had to stop him from taking 2 wrong exits on the highway, and then he charged us a late pickup fee (I had definitely requested the ride in the right spot). The third guy also was not wearing his mask when he pulled up, and then was reallllly speeding. I'm honestly curious if we were just super unlucky.

I go to WDW about 5x a year and I almost exclusively use Lyft while I am there. I have had a few hit or miss experiences as well but for the most part I have had good success. I would recommend pricing both against each other (which is easy to do when you link both Uber and Lyft with the Google Maps app). Also, I like Lyft better just because I have my Skymiles and HHonors accounts linked to my Lyft account and I get "free" miles/points just for using Lyft.

I found the drop/pickup issues to be significantly reduced since WDW has embraced ride share and has added specific park pickup/drop off points.

We use Lyft as well, really only at WDW and it is super useful for getting around. The drivers are usually pretty knowledgeable about the resort as well. We visited Universal during our recent trip in December and the driver dropped us off at the Hard Rock rather than to main entrance and we were able to get in a lot quicker!

Can't believe I'm giving this heads up but I've used Uber at Disney many times in the past 4 trips. Love it. Never a problem My trip in Sept/Oct did have a problem and someone within Uber breached the credit card that was in the system. I was used many times in various states for Uber Eats (never, ever used and never in those states except FL). It was definitely them as per Chase.
It was a big mess.

Just be VERY vigilant in watching your credit card activity that is in any WALLET (which Uber is if it's auto charged) as per Chase.

Will it stop me from using either company for my late January trip?
No. I'm just going to watch the account like a hawk.

Out of curiosity, do you use Uber at Disney frequently (just because you said you were local, I was wondering if it's around Disney property or just uber in general). I ask because we don't ever uber in normal life (live in a rural area), and we took 3 ubers at Disney our last vacation and swore never to do it again. One was great. The second one couldn't find me even though I pinged my location and messaged him. He got lost in the resort parking lot I guess? He was not wearing his mask and we had to ask him to. I then had to stop him from taking 2 wrong exits on the highway, and then he charged us a late pickup fee (I had definitely requested the ride in the right spot). The third guy also was not wearing his mask when he pulled up, and then was reallllly speeding. I'm honestly curious if we were just super unlucky.

We use Uber alot, to go back and forth to the Disney Parks or Disney Springs, to the Airport, and we have used Uber all over when we travel...
We have gotten a few drivers that were kinda new, and we had to tell them no don't turn here or there... as well some have had a heavy foot, my DH spoke up and said, hey the cops are always radaring out here, he slowed down...
then we had one driver that went way below the speed limit, he was new, and nervous...

When you say, the one driver got lost in the Resort Parking lot? ... I really don't understand - Uber, Lyft and Taxi are only suppose to pick at the designated area in the front of the resort. They should not be in the actual parking lot where the guest park their cars? Its a safety thing for the drivers and passengers ... My friends wanted the lyft driver to take them into their room at CBR, and the driver said no we are not allowed... She was mad and complained to Lyft, and they told her that drivers should only pick up and drop off at designated spots...and that the resort designate the spots, and the drivers must use them...

As far as the mask, we have not had a driver not wearing one... now maybe he or she pulled it up as they were arriving to get us, so really you don't know, so just be sure you follow all the precautions.

Can't believe I'm giving this heads up but I've used Uber at Disney many times in the past 4 trips. Love it. Never a problem My trip in Sept/Oct did have a problem and someone within Uber breached the credit card that was in the system. I was used many times in various states for Uber Eats (never, ever used and never in those states except FL). It was definitely them as per Chase.
It was a big mess.

Just be VERY vigilant in watching your credit card activity that is in any WALLET (which Uber is if it's auto charged) as per Chase.

Will it stop me from using either company for my late January trip?
No. I'm just going to watch the account like a hawk.

DH checks the amount of the charge, leave the star rating, and he will later on check the credit cards..
DH checks the bank, and credit cards, in the morning when he gets up, and then a couple times during the day, and then at night before we go to bed... twice he has caught charges and called the bank or CC company to let them know right away, and they take care of it on the spot...

When you are traveling or using ride shares, use a CC and not your actual bank card... it is easier to deal with the CC companies than the bank...

DH checks the amount of the charge, leave the star rating, and he will later on check the credit cards..
DH checks the bank, and credit cards, in the morning when he gets up, and then a couple times during the day, and then at night before we go to bed... twice he has caught charges and called the bank or CC company to let them know right away, and they take care of it on the spot...

When you are traveling or using ride shares, use a CC and not your actual bank card... it is easier to deal with the CC companies than the bank...
Totally agree. I only use CC's for everything. I refuse all bank cards.(debit) for the reason you mentioned.

I personally prefer Uber based on my three years of experience of driving for both companies. I have also found Uber's pickup times generally somewhat better when I travel to other cities.

But for the casual rider, I don't think it matters at WDW. There are a lot of drivers for both companies, many venues have waiting queues anyway, and the pickup times should be about the same. I recommend having both apps on your phone and price-checking. You might also get promos from either company which might make them a better choice at the moment.

You should know that both companies now require both drivers and riders to wear masks. If I ever got a driver who wasn't wearing a mask, I would cancel and report them.

Both companies have also reduced capacities and forbidden riders in the front passenger seat. The capacities now are 3 people max for X or regular Lyft, and 5 max for XL.

They don't have them in Orlando anyway, but both companies have also suspended operation of their trashy shared-ride programs nationwide because of the obvious infection risk.

IF u check u will find that MOST of the drivers work for both....So it doesn't really matter which one u choose

IF u check u will find that MOST of the drivers work for both....So it doesn't really matter which one u choose
That is generally true, with two caveats.

Many new drivers drive only for one company because they are renting or leasing their car through that company or its partners. Those rental agreements effectively lock them into only driving for that company. That's not a bad thing -- just means they didn't have a car that qualified for rideshare and had no other option.

You will occasionally also find a driver who only drives for one company because they were kicked off the other platform for some reason.

If they drove for some period of time and were deactivated because of low ratings, that's a bad thing. If they were deactivated because they drove drunk hours, or the shared-ride customer pool, and got a series of unfounded "I want a free ride" complaints, they may well be a perfectly good driver.

I’ve only used Uber so I can’t speak for Lyft. But I have had great experiences with Uber. The handful of Uber rides I’ve taken around property during covid have been clean with hand sanitizer and wipes available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter