U.S. Department of Defense Announces Same-Sex Spouse Benefits

Uncle Remus

Raconteur / can't name 'em Jeb
Today, the Department of Defense announced its plan to extend benefits to same-sex spouses of uniformed service members and Department of Defense civilian employees.

After a review of the department’s benefit policies following the Supreme Court’s ruling that Section Three of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional, and in consultation with the Department of Justice and other executive branch agencies, the Defense Department will make spousal and family benefits available no later than Sept. 3, 2013, regardless of sexual orientation, as long as service member-sponsors provide a valid marriage certificate.

The Department of Defense remains committed to ensuring that all men and women who serve in the U.S. military, and their families, are treated fairly and equally as the law directs.

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=16203

:woohoo:

It's great to see this support of our troops and other employees of our Dept of Defense. :goodvibes

As great as this is, tough luck to those who live in states like NJ where the Governor vetoed equal marriage legislation because he felt civil unions provided everything needed for equality. Now citizens of his state are left out of this benefit.

As great as this is, tough luck to those who live in states like NJ where the Governor vetoed equal marriage legislation because he felt civil unions provided everything needed for equality. Now citizens of his state are left out of this benefit.

The military families will not be left out. If there are same sex couples that want to receive marital benefits, the DOD is granting 10 days of leave for the couple to travel a state that is doing same sex marriages. After the couple is married, the DOD will recognize the marriage and give the benefits of a heterosexual couple.

If a same sex couple has already been married, their benefits will be retroactive back to the date of the ruling of the Supreme Court.

The military families will not be left out. If there are same sex couples that want to receive marital benefits, the DOD is granting 10 days of leave for the couple to travel a state that is doing same sex marriages. After the couple is married, the DOD will recognize the marriage and give the benefits of a heterosexual couple.

If a same sex couple has already been married, their benefits will be retroactive back to the date of the ruling of the Supreme Court.

That's generally fine, but although the DoD will recognize the marriage, there are still issues with tax filing status.

I'm actually curious as to how the IRS handles this. There have been some opinions that if the couple isn't filing their state taxes in a SSM state, the feds won't allow the couple to file as a married couple. The IRS and Treasury are still reviewing this to come up with guidelines.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Answers-to-Frequently-Asked-Questions-for-Same-Sex-Couples

NOTE: The questions and answers below do not reflect the Supreme Court's June 26 decision relating to DOMA. We are reviewing the important June 26 Supreme Court decision on the Defense of Marriage Act. We will be working with the Department of Treasury and Department of Justice, and we will move swiftly to provide revised guidance in the near future.

Here are some articles on the upcoming decision on tax status. The main question is whether or not a SS couple married in a state or country that recognizes SSM lives in a state which doesn't. Will the IRS consider that couple married for tax filing purposes. It will get interesting since obviously the state won't allow a married filing status.

Here are a couple of articles by the same reporter on this subject (Bloomberg owns Businessweek):

IRS Already Under Siege Must Make Rules for Gay Marriages
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-siege-must-make-rules-for-gay-marriages.html

The IRS's Gay-Marriage Tax Problem
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-18/the-irss-gay-marriage-tax-problem

Those living in Washington, D.C., or the 13 states that allow same-sex marriages can file a federal tax return next April just like other married couples. Not so for the thousands of gay couples who took their vows in one of those states but who live in one of the 37 others where same-sex marriage isn’t recognized. It’s not yet clear whose definition of marriage the IRS is supposed to follow in evaluating their taxes—the state where the couple got married, or the one in which they reside. And will the federal government recognize gay couples in civil unions who file a joint return?

Lets see. DOD furloughed 600K civilian employees for six weeks because they had no money. DOD threatens to take EARNED benefits away from retirees because they have no money. DOD is seriously talking about reducing the force and mothballing major weapon systems because they have no money and the next few years look worse than 2013. But somehow, somewhere they find money for this. What DOD national security program will lose out to PC? Cheer feel-good programs all you want but I don't think DOD is the place for this little bit of social engineering.

Lets see. DOD furloughed 600K civilian employees for six weeks because they had no money. DOD threatens to take EARNED benefits away from retirees because they have no money. DOD is seriously talking about reducing the force and mothballing major weapon systems because they have no money and the next few years look worse than 2013. But somehow, somewhere they find money for this. What DOD national security program will lose out to PC? Cheer feel-good programs all you want but I don't think DOD is the place for this little bit of social engineering.

To me, this is an apples and oranges argument..... I do not see how this is a "feel good program." Same sex couples are not receiving these benefits as a charity. They are receiving these EARNED benefits because they are now considered equal to other heterosexual married couples. They spent many years not receiving these EARNED benefits & now, in 2013, those dark ages are coming to a gradual end. Sorry, but this is not a social engineering experiment. This is just present day America. In present day America, same sex marriage are considered equal in increasing states.

To me, this is an apples and oranges argument..... I do not see how this is a "feel good program." Same sex couples are not receiving these benefits as a charity. They are receiving these EARNED benefits because they are now considered equal to other heterosexual married couples. They spent many years not receiving these EARNED benefits & now, in 2013, those dark ages are coming to a gradual end. Sorry, but this is not a social engineering experiment. This is just present day America. In present day America, same sex marriage are considered equal in increasing states.

Exactly. One thing has nothing to do with the other. We can discuss the furloughs etc on another thread.

I think it is about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think the DOD should only hire single people without kids? Because that would sure save money. If you're going to offer benefits for married couples, the Federal law now is that you have to offer benefits for ALL married couples. It's really not that complicated, and has nothing to do with political correctness or social engineering.

Do you think the DOD should only hire single people without kids? Because that would sure save money. If you're going to offer benefits for married couples, the Federal law now is that you have to offer benefits for ALL married couples. It's really not that complicated, and has nothing to do with political correctness or social engineering.

Looking for the "like" button!

Well, as long as we are talking about equality, why don't all couples get ten days of free leave? My honeymoon leave came out of my 30 days a year.

Well, as long as we are talking about equality, why don't all couples get ten days of free leave? My honeymoon leave came out of my 30 days a year.

It's only 10 days if they're out of the US. It's 7 days if they don't have the option to get married in the state. It's nothing if they live in (or close to) a state or country where they can get married.

It's more complicated than that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter