Tyler's Wish Trip - Nov. 20-25, 2009 / Dream Factory

Yes, we are going on the 15th. We have reservations at the Crystal Palace that night since Pooh and friends dress up in their Halloween costumes during dinner. I thought it would be fun for the kids to be dressed up and have the characters dressed up too! We definitely need to meet up that night. I will pm you after the move and we will arrange for details! :wizard:

Can't wait.

I am still in the middle of packing up our house to move next Sunday and my in-laws 40th Anniversary party was last night. While all of this is going on our wish coordinator calls me. She asks me if we would be willing to drive three hours to fly out of Kansas City. I told her that if that was the only option we would. She said that prices from where we live were too high. So when I got home I looked up flights and prices and they were around $200 round trip. They had never heard of Air Tran. So, then they agree that we can fly out of here. Then she tells me the exact dates of our trip. We are supposed to leave on Saturday, Nov. 21st and return on Thursday, Nov. 26th. This is Thanksgiving Day! I told her that I would rather not travel on Thanksgiving. She said that she would have to do some checking. No, the only option is to fly home on Thanksgiving Day. So, we would only have 4 days in Orlando since 2 days are travel days for the whole entire day. The other option is to return on Wednesday and only spend 3 days in Orlando. I am so torn right now. I don’t know if we should politely bow out of his wish or just go on the trip. Nothing has gone right so far and I am just so confused. I know that Tyler would have fun, but I am just not sure it is worth trying to take three kids and all of their stuff on airplanes for a four day trip. I am not trying to sound ungrateful. I just do not know what to do and my husband will not help with the decision. Please tell me what you would do. Thanks!

I am still in the middle of packing up our house to move next Sunday and my in-laws 40th Anniversary party was last night. While all of this is going on our wish coordinator calls me. She asks me if we would be willing to drive three hours to fly out of Kansas City. I told her that if that was the only option we would. She said that prices from where we live were too high. So when I got home I looked up flights and prices and they were around $200 round trip. They had never heard of Air Tran. So, then they agree that we can fly out of here. Then she tells me the exact dates of our trip. We are supposed to leave on Saturday, Nov. 21st and return on Thursday, Nov. 26th. This is Thanksgiving Day! I told her that I would rather not travel on Thanksgiving. She said that she would have to do some checking. No, the only option is to fly home on Thanksgiving Day. So, we would only have 4 days in Orlando since 2 days are travel days for the whole entire day. The other option is to return on Wednesday and only spend 3 days in Orlando. I am so torn right now. I don’t know if we should politely bow out of his wish or just go on the trip. Nothing has gone right so far and I am just so confused. I know that Tyler would have fun, but I am just not sure it is worth trying to take three kids and all of their stuff on airplanes for a four day trip. I am not trying to sound ungrateful. I just do not know what to do and my husband will not help with the decision. Please tell me what you would do. Thanks!

I'm sorry you are having such trouble. Why don't you see if your wish agency will delay a month or two. I think that there is always a lot available in Orlando in January. Maybe waiting a month or two would ease everyone's stress.

Dreams come true with Disney Magic! I received an unbelievable phone call tonight from my son’s WISH coordinator. I had proposed a few weeks back that they could use the pin code I was given and we could stay on Disney property and get free dining. I explained that I assumed that they provided us with some $$$ for food and that they rented us a car that they could save that money as we would not need either of those. I knew that they were trying to save money. Then I gave them the price to stay at an All Star Resort with the free dining and explained that they could save the food money and we would not need a car. I was told that the condo in Orlando was reserved and the dates were firm so we would return on Thanksgiving and that staying on Disney property was not an option. I was so stressed with the upcoming move that I replied that whatever they selected for Tyler would be fine. Then I have just spent the past two days moving to our new home.

Tonight on my way home from dinner at my in-laws after moving boxes all day Tyler’s coordinator called. I almost dropped the phone with what she said next. We will leave November 20th (a day earlier) and return November 25th (the day before Thanksgiving). We will fly out of our hometown. We will be staying at All Star Sports with FREE dining! I almost dropped the phone again! Tyler will get the perfect Wish/Dream. I guess Dreams really do come true! This will make Tyler have the best trip as he was only interested in Disney anyway since he is so little. I guess I will need to make dining reservations next week. I will definitely schedule breakfast with Lilo and Stitch since he loves Stitch and his whole wish is about Stitch. I just have no words. After going round and round and giving in, this amazing news came in! My son will spend a magical five days at Disney at All Star Sports resort. He loves Sports! I am just in awe and disbelief! :woohoo::yay::cheer2:

Dreams come true with Disney Magic! I received an unbelievable phone call tonight from my son’s WISH coordinator. I had proposed a few weeks back that they could use the pin code I was given and we could stay on Disney property and get free dining. I explained that I assumed that they provided us with some $$$ for food and that they rented us a car that they could save that money as we would not need either of those. I knew that they were trying to save money. Then I gave them the price to stay at an All Star Resort with the free dining and explained that they could save the food money and we would not need a car. I was told that the condo in Orlando was reserved and the dates were firm so we would return on Thanksgiving and that staying on Disney property was not an option. I was so stressed with the upcoming move that I replied that whatever they selected for Tyler would be fine. Then I have just spent the past two days moving to our new home.

Tonight on my way home from dinner at my in-laws after moving boxes all day Tyler’s coordinator called. I almost dropped the phone with what she said next. We will leave November 20th (a day earlier) and return November 25th (the day before Thanksgiving). We will fly out of our hometown. We will be staying at All Star Sports with FREE dining! I almost dropped the phone again! Tyler will get the perfect Wish/Dream. I guess Dreams really do come true! This will make Tyler have the best trip as he was only interested in Disney anyway since he is so little. I guess I will need to make dining reservations next week. I will definitely schedule breakfast with Lilo and Stitch since he loves Stitch and his whole wish is about Stitch. I just have no words. After going round and round and giving in, this amazing news came in! My son will spend a magical five days at Disney at All Star Sports resort. He loves Sports! I am just in awe and disbelief! :woohoo::yay::cheer2:

So happy to hear everything is turning around for all of you. :thumbsup2 Free dining AND staying on site - AWESOME! :woohoo: And WOW to getting tfly out of your local airport! So much better than a long car trip before a your flight - and now you have more MAGIC time! :banana::banana::banana:

Yeah!!!!!!! Disney Magic strikes again!!!!

Can't wait to meet you guys next month!!!

So glad to hear that Tyler's Wish trip is going to be exactly what you and he wanted! We are looking forward to hearing about all your plans.

E

That is excellent! I am very happy for you. My daughter is thinking your wish trip sounds like a dream - she is a huge Stitch fan! You got the info just in time to start making ADRs! Have fun planning!

I have more good news to share! It is about Tyler's new school. We had met the special ed teacher during registration. Then last night at meet the teacher's night we met his teacher. She has a special needs son that has issues very similar to Tyler's. I did not ask what his diagnosis was. However, I asked if he could wear Crocs to school since even though it is a public school, the students wear uniforms. Her reply made me want to hug her. She said that Crocs were fine and they dumped the sand out of everyone's shoes when they came in from recess. She said this without prompting! It will be so nice to have Tyler not tiptoeing off of the bus due to his feet hurting so bad due to all of the sand in his shoes. It will also be nice to have a teacher that knows exactly where Tyler is coming from since her son is only a year older than him. He is in the right place and it was just by a prayer being answered that he is in this school. We had tried to move him to Rainbows, our local special needs agency and last week they declared bankruptcy so we are glad now that he did not get placed there. Then we could not find a new house close to our other one. This house is about 6 miles from the old one, but it puts us in a different school for Tyler. It is a magnet school that is difficult to get into if you don't live in the right area, but we live in the right area so he is automatically in. I am so happy! Then he met the speech therapist and she sat down on the floor with him and blew bubbles with him and they hit it off right away. She already knew who Tyler was and had read his file! He is going to do so well here! I just had to share my excitement! :banana:

Hi there!! I just read thru your PTR and I wanted to tell you I'm glad things are looking up for you guys! I'm so happy Tyler's wish trip is working out - I must admit I was a little frustrated by your earlier posts - your little boy deserves the very best and I'm thrilled he's going to get it!

I also know alot about special needs schools as my four year old daughter (not my wish child) has severe autism and we have been thru it all trying to find the right therapists and the right school for her. I can't describe the elation felt when it all starts to fit and you finally feel you are in the right place with the right people. It is such a relief.

I look forward to reading more good news!

I have more good news to share! It is about Tyler's new school. We had met the special ed teacher during registration. Then last night at meet the teacher's night we met his teacher. She has a special needs son that has issues very similar to Tyler's. I did not ask what his diagnosis was. However, I asked if he could wear Crocs to school since even though it is a public school, the students wear uniforms. Her reply made me want to hug her. She said that Crocs were fine and they dumped the sand out of everyone's shoes when they came in from recess. She said this without prompting! It will be so nice to have Tyler not tiptoeing off of the bus due to his feet hurting so bad due to all of the sand in his shoes. It will also be nice to have a teacher that knows exactly where Tyler is coming from since her son is only a year older than him. He is in the right place and it was just by a prayer being answered that he is in this school. We had tried to move him to Rainbows, our local special needs agency and last week they declared bankruptcy so we are glad now that he did not get placed there. Then we could not find a new house close to our other one. This house is about 6 miles from the old one, but it puts us in a different school for Tyler. It is a magnet school that is difficult to get into if you don't live in the right area, but we live in the right area so he is automatically in. I am so happy! Then he met the speech therapist and she sat down on the floor with him and blew bubbles with him and they hit it off right away. She already knew who Tyler was and had read his file! He is going to do so well here! I just had to share my excitement! :banana:

How wonderful that Tyler's school is so accommodating and compassionate. I'm glad everything has fallen into place for then next school year. He's going to have an awesome year!

Aw. This made me cry! I am so, so excited for you guys. School being just right is a HUGE blessing! I am so thankful for you guys. I know he will have a great year!

I have finally updated your info on the Wish Trippers thread! And am finally getting caught up on all of my pre-trippies!!! :)

First Day of School
FirstDayof4yearoldpreschool2009.jpg

Second Day of School
SecondDayof4yearoldpreschool2009.jpg

SecondDayof4yearoldpreschoolbus2009.jpg

After a minor mix up with where the bus was supposed to pick Tyler up, he went off to his first day of pre-K on Monday. On Monday and Tuesday the teacher said he used the potty! This is amazing. We have spent hours sitting on the potty, but he has never gone for me. He seems to really like his new school! I am so happy. Hayley just woke up so I will update our Disney plans in a little bit.

I will tell you where we are dining in November in just a minute. However, first you need to see where we are dining in September to understand Tyler’s November choices.

Sat. 9/12 - Whispering Canyon for dinner – My husband ate here on a business trip, but we have never tried it. I thought it would be fun for the kids.

Sun. 9/13 - Cinderella's Royal Table – lunch – We are doing lunch so they can see all of the princesses. At dinner only Fairy Godmother and Cinderella are present. This meal is a surprise for my kids so I need to keep Breanna away from this report for a little over 2 weeks!

Mon. 9/14 - Kona – Dinner - My husband also ate here on a business trip, but the rest of us have never tried it. I am looking forward to this one.

Tues. 9/15- Crystal Palace – Dinner – This meal is before MNSSHP so the characters should be in their Halloween costumes if they follow previous year’s precedents. I think it will be fun to have the kids and the characters dressed up for Halloween.

Wed. 9/16 – No meal plans. It is a late night for Animal Kingdom so we might have a late dinner at Rainforest after this park closes at 8 pm (7 pm back home). I have My Points gift cards for Rainforest.

Thurs. 9/17 - Boma – dinner – We have eaten here three times before and it is one of our favorite buffets! I cannot wait for the Zebra Domes!

Fri. 9/18 - Chef Mickey's – breakfast – Need I say anything? This place is awesome and by Friday the kids should not be scared of characters anymore!

Sat. 9/19 - Le Cellier – Dinner – This restaurant is now one of our favorites since my friend introduced me to it on a Moms Only trip in 2006.
Now for Tyler’s Wish Trip: Tyler sat down with me at the computer and looked at each restaurant on Disney’s site and picked where he wanted to eat.

Friday - Garden Grill – Tyler wants to eat with Chip and Dale. We have never eaten here. I also thought it would be easy to get from Epcot to the Magic Kingdom for MVMCP. I do not have tickets yet, but I hope to purchase some soon. I am afraid to ask our Wish volunteer for the plane times. I have an idea, but not concrete times. At one point in the planning I was asked to book the tickets and then they would reimburse us, but the messages got crossed with us moving to the new home and then their travel planner returned from her vacation and took care of it.

Sat - Yak and Yeti at 4:30 – Tyler did not pick this one. I did, but I thought it would be fun for him to see the Animal Kingdom with no one in it after dinner so I purposely booked this time with the park closing at 5 pm.

Sunday - Lilo and Stitch Breakfast at the Polynesian – Tyler’s whole Wish is based around Stitch so he wants to eat breakfast with him!

Monday - DS Sci-Fi – Tyler saw the cars that you dine in and wanted to try this restaurant. My husband and I ate here about 11 years ago and we were not impressed, but things can change so we will give it a try for Tyler.

Tues. - Coral Reef – Tyler wants to eat with the fish. Our family does not eat fish so we will see what the menu of non-fish is like. Everyone has told me that you have to take Wish kids to this restaurant. We have never eaten here either.

Wed. - Crystal Palace – Now either this meal or one of the other less expensive meals will be an out of pocket meal since we only have 5 dining credits and six meals booked. This meal is at a time before the Magic Kingdom opens so Tyler can see the empty park on his last day of his trip. He also loves Tigger and sleeps with a giant Tigger in his bed along with an even bigger Pooh Bear.

That is it for our meal selections. The Dream Factory only purchased single day tickets for us and it would be $200 to upgrade them to park hoppers so it was hard to try to figure out which day we would like to do which park this far in advance. I am sure it will all work out. Then we are also staying at All Star Sports and Tyler is an amazing athlete so he will love all of the giant sports icons here. The last time we were at Disney was in 2007. Tyler was two and we stayed at All Star Sports, but I don’t think he remembers it. Well that is as far as I have planned so far. I still need to make autograph books and Epcot passports for our September trip. I found the ones I like on the design section of this website, but I have not been brave enough to try to print and assemble them yet.
:cheer2:

We are back home from our family trip, but the three little ones are sick. I took Hayley to the minor emergency yesterday and she has bronchitis and an ear infection. I was originally going for a headache that I could not get rid of. It got so bad yesterday that I could not keep food in my stomach. I got a shot and some medication and feel much better today. Hayley's temperature is gone and the antibiotics are starting to work! Bre and Tyler are healing on their own.

I started our trip report from our family trip today. Here is the link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=33700264#post33700264

Enjoy!:wizard:

I have more exciting news. Our family has been chosen for the Big Give!

Positive Vibes for Tyler's Dream Trip:

DSC02310.jpg

DSC02311.jpg

DSC02312.jpg

By the middle of our September trip, Tyler was back to loving Stitch! :stitch:

I have more exciting news. Our family has been chosen for the Big Give!

th_DSC02312.jpg

By the middle of our September trip, Tyler was back to loving Stitch! :stitch:

Really? I had no idea! :thumbsup2

I love the Stitch pictures! Stitch always cracks me up in the parks!

Really? I had no idea! :thumbsup2

I love the Stitch pictures! Stitch always cracks me up in the parks!

You can't tell, but in the middle picture Stitch and Tyler were holding hands and just jumping up and down. They were having so much fun doing this. We found him near the entrance to Epcot and I guess no one saw him there. A little further up closer to Spaceship Earth there was a huge line for Daisy Duck. Tyler just got to play with Stitch for about 5 minutes uninterrupted.

Heather Sue, I hope you and your family have a wonderful upcoming trip! :wizard:

Oh the BIG GIVE!! How exciting!!! That was one of the highlights of our Wish Trip. It was an amazing time!! The gift were incredible!! I know that you will enjoy it!

Hi there,

I saw one of your responses on another thread I was reading and noticed we will be in WDW around the same time so I just had to take a peek at your trippie. And now I am hooked! I can't wait to see how Tyler's trip goes. And I am thrilled that you were able to stay on Disney property. That just makes any trip more magical, IMO. I am actually a speech pathologist which also drew me into your trip report. Last year I worked at a "separate day school" (basically a school for children with specials needs that are too severe to be in a typical school) and many of the children on my caseload were nonverbal, very little verbal expression, wheelchair bound or receiving PT and OT. This year I was placed in an elementary school with more typical students, but I am also working in the school's 3 autistic classrooms.

Friday - Garden Grill – Tyler wants to eat with Chip and Dale. We have never eaten here. I also thought it would be easy to get from Epcot to the Magic Kingdom for MVMCP. I do not have tickets yet, but I hope to purchase some soon. I am afraid to ask our Wish volunteer for the plane times. I have an idea, but not concrete times. At one point in the planning I was asked to book the tickets and then they would reimburse us, but the messages got crossed with us moving to the new home and then their travel planner returned from her vacation and took care of it.

Sat - Yak and Yeti at 4:30 – Tyler did not pick this one. I did, but I thought it would be fun for him to see the Animal Kingdom with no one in it after dinner so I purposely booked this time with the park closing at 5 pm.

Sunday - Lilo and Stitch Breakfast at the Polynesian – Tyler’s whole Wish is based around Stitch so he wants to eat breakfast with him!

Monday - DS Sci-Fi – Tyler saw the cars that you dine in and wanted to try this restaurant. My husband and I ate here about 11 years ago and we were not impressed, but things can change so we will give it a try for Tyler.

Tues. - Coral Reef – Tyler wants to eat with the fish. Our family does not eat fish so we will see what the menu of non-fish is like. Everyone has told me that you have to take Wish kids to this restaurant. We have never eaten here either.

Wed. - Crystal Palace – Now either this meal or one of the other less expensive meals will be an out of pocket meal since we only have 5 dining credits and six meals booked. This meal is at a time before the Magic Kingdom opens so Tyler can see the empty park on his last day of his trip. He also loves Tigger and sleeps with a giant Tigger in his bed along with an even bigger Pooh Bear.
:cheer2:

Just wanted to post some thoughts on your restaurant choices (the ones I've been to anyway).
Garden Grill - definitely liked it. The character interaction was great, food was good and it was really neat to "spin around" the Land
Coral Reef - Haven't eaten here in a few years, but when I did it was really good. I had the blackened catfish (yum!), but they definitely have non-seafood dishes.
Poly b-fast - another fun breakfast and the food is good too. Plus I just love the Poly

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your planning adventures...plus how the actual trip turns out!

P.S. What is the "Big Give" (for those, like me, that aren't in the know)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter