Two Annual Pass Questions

mtiger

Earning My Ears
My family has two trips planned this year (May/Sept) and have decided to get APs. I understand they don't "start" until the day you first use them, but is there any advantage to buying them early (now) vs April (when our FP+ window opens (we're staying offsite)). Just don't want to miss some "spring offer" because I buy them now.

Also, was reading about the FP+ and noticed you can only make 7 days at a time with APs. Assuming that means for our 9 day trip, we will have to wait until the end of day1/2 to make the last day's FP+? Seems that way, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks as always - this board is amazing!

My family has two trips planned this year (May/Sept) and have decided to get APs.
1. I understand they don't "start" until the day you first use them, but
2. is there any advantage to buying them early (now) vs April (when our FP+ window opens (we're staying offsite)).
3. Just don't want to miss some "spring offer" because I buy them now.

4. Also, was reading about the FP+ and noticed you can only make 7 days at a time with APs. Assuming that means for our 9 day trip, we will have to wait until the end of day1/2 to make the last day's FP+? Seems that way, but wanted to confirm.

1. Close, but not actually true.
The APs become active when a guest go to a Guest Relations or ticket booth and, well,
ACTIVATES them. The guest sometimes does that on a day prior to actual park entry.
2. There may be a price increase before then. You never know.
3. Again, you never know.
4. If you are staying at a WDW Resort, you can book for your entire stay.
Not stopped at 7 days.
If you are NOT staying on-property, your description is correct.
7 days of FP pre-booked in advance, one-day-at-a-time, starting 30 days before first use.
Then, one day more, one-day-at-a-time, as you start using the FP days.

Last edited:
Question 1: Buying now means you lock in today's price. If the price goes up (which happens with no notice) between now and April you will pay the more expensive price.

Question 2: You can get length of vacation FP+ if you are staying on site.

Don't make the same mistake I did when the first advanced FastPass thing was in progress (a few years ago). I thought I had to have the actual Annual Passes in my hands before I could make FastPasses. No, you don't. What you can do is get your passes now, link the numbers into your My Disney Experience account(s) and then, depending on if you are staying onsite (60 days) or offsite (30 days), you can start making your FastPass reservations. And the 60 and 30 days is before you want to enter the parks for your FastPass. As a resort guest, you would get more time as others have stated. If offsite, it would be day by day.

Robo is correct with the activation advice. You will receive a voucher and then will need to present that along with photo IDs of all adult members when you either arrive (this needs to be done at a theme park or at Disney Springs, NOT at a resort) or the first time you want to enter a park. BUT - your "countdown" starts at the activation. So if you arrive today, February 11th, and want to get a head start on tomorrow, the 12th and activate today, your "countdown" starts on the 11th, not the 12th.

Also, once you do activate the passes, please check two things. That the date on the pass is correct and that each name on the pass is correct.

thank you all - one last question. My father is going to be buying all of the APs, but not going until the Sept trip. Will we need him there to activate ours in May or just photo IDs of the four names he purchases them for? Just want to make sure we aren't stuck in Orlando with no way to get into the parks.

btw in case you didn't see the news, but it looks like as of tomorrow, the annual pass price is going up. Not a ton, but if you can buy today you can save a bit per person.

thank you all - one last question. My father is going to be buying all of the APs, but not going until the Sept trip. Will we need him there to activate ours in May or just photo IDs of the four names he purchases them for? Just want to make sure we aren't stuck in Orlando with no way to get into the parks.

To make things easier, make sure he orders the APs through his MyDisneyExperience account.
And, all of you who are getting the APs are in (or connected to) his MDE account.
Then, he/you can attach the APs to the appropriate individuals in MDE.
(You'd need to do this in order to make advance FP+, too.)
Then, at WDW... with each AP person showing a legal photo ID at the activation at Guest Relations, everything should be fine.

just saw on my FB feed - thank you Mr Iger for answering my question directly and so quickly. I think we'll be good with the gift APs as it seems like you just need the photo ID of the person whom the magic band is assigned to.

thank you all again - going to be a first time AP holder by the end of the day!

My family has two trips planned this year (May/Sept) and have decided to get APs. I understand they don't "start" until the day you first use them, but is there any advantage to buying them early (now) vs April (when our FP+ window opens (we're staying offsite)). Just don't want to miss some "spring offer" because I buy them now.

Also, was reading about the FP+ and noticed you can only make 7 days at a time with APs. Assuming that means for our 9 day trip, we will have to wait until the end of day1/2 to make the last day's FP+? Seems that way, but wanted to confirm.

You will be able to make FP for the duration of your trip 60 days before the check in date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter