Turning 33 at Disney: Day One-Travel day/Catals

Lyn-CA

DIS Veteran
CAST OF CHARACTERS:

Lyn: 33; Nuttier Disney nut; Trip planner and reporter.
Rob: 38; DH or DN=Disney nut; Sports nut-considers ESPN ZONE his mecca.

Background: The last time we were in Disneyland was over the New Years holiday 2002. We decided we would return after TOT opens, since it is our favorite ride at WDW. I booked our air and hotel back in June. First we were booked at BW Park Place Inn, but I changed that to Paradise Pier and then at the last minute to Disneyland Hotel (DLH).

Day One – Friday: Travel Day / Downtown Disney / Catals

I spent the morning on the Community Board of the DIS. Our neighbor dropped us off at the airport. He has stayed at DLH and thought the bathrooms were cool. Even this little bitty detail got me even more excited.

Our flight down to Orange County was fairly on time. We marched down to the Hertz counter and I got us in the wrong line for Club members only. Luckily, the Hertz guy helped me anyway. We got a Buick Century and were told that if we returned the gas without filling it up, it would be priced at $5.99 a gallon. Wow! Now that’s Texas gold! While waiting, we were also eavesdropping on an interesting conversation next to us as these 3 guys wanted to go to Mexico and/or Vegas.

Before heading out to the parking lot, Rob just had to have his picture taken with “The Duke.” Next, we drove to Cypress Courtyard. We were using Marriott rewards points for this first night. Check-in was simple and fast and we quickly checked the room to make sure it was OK, then got back in the car and drove to Downtown Disney.

Once I saw the first Disney signage, I got more and more giddy as in ‘Disney-giddy’. I kept telling Rob, “We’re here, we’re here.” Am I a fool for Disney or what? For dinner, we went to Catals {$65}. We sat upstairs by the balcony behind the fragrant herbs. Rob and I amused ourselves by playing “Name that Herb.” I ordered the paella and Rob had the salmon. The paella was one of the best I’ve ever had, although the giant mussels kinda scared me so I didn’t eat them. For dessert, we had the trio of crème brulee-cinnamon, coffee and vanilla. They came in cute little ramekins. When our server came along later, I said, “Um, we got these empty.” He laughed and said he’s heard that one before. Oh well, at least I tried.

After dinner, we walked downstairs just as the fireworks from DL went off. Too bad we were already outside of Catals, as it would have been nice to see them from the balcony.

Since we subscribe to the philosophy that we can never have enough desserts, we went in search of the triple chocolate brownies from Marceline’s. Because we got distracted (in a good way) by the fireworks, we kept walking until we reached La Brea so we had to turn back around. It was so funny to see that Marceline’s was right next door to Catals-Duh!

We stood in line and just as it was our turn, a father and his 2 kids just cut in front of everyone to pay for their waters. It was a good thing my sweet tooth was already satiated by the crème brulee or else I would have said something.

Rob wanted the butterfinger brownie but I won out and we got the triple chocolate brownie. After all, I have been craving it ever since I heard of it. We scarfed down that brownie in about 5 seconds flat. It was sooo good and sooo rich.

The stores were slowly starting to close up for the night so we went to the sunglass place and quickly browsed over the really expensive selections. Rob picked out a pair for $235, but that’s way more than what he wanted to spend. My bargain-hunting prowess led me straight away to the clearance section but those weren’t much of a bargain either.

We drove back to Courtyard and went to bed. I had a hard time falling asleep because (a) the fan was loud and (b) Disneyland was a mere 6 miles away. Is it morning yet?

Excellent choice on the triple chocolate brownies from Marceline's. Two trips ago we unfortunately discovered them on our last night. Our last trip, we had them earlier in the trip, and also brought some home in ziplocs to freeze for later.

I don't know if you'll post later in report that you tried the butterfinger also. I hope you did. It was really good too. DW doesn't like butterfingers and she thought it was delicious - the perfect hint/flavor of butterfinger without the sticky on your teeth. I think she like the butterfinger even better than the triple chocolate.

One other by the way, if you're ever craving the brownies while in DL - you can get the brownies at the Pooh Corner store in Critter Country too.

Loving the report so far...I understand your giddiness, I have it everytime, isn't DTD great at "pumping you up" for the parks the next day? I love it there. Glad you enjoyed Catal and yes, their creme brulee is deeeee-lishhhhh!

Off to read the next day, thanks for posting:)

ahhh....i'm getting disneyland seperation anxiety while I'm reading your report! :charac2: (sad music comes in here....). I'm in the process of figuring out how to plan a trip before Christmas this year. Me and my DH just got married a month ago so we are broke. But we need to go back "home", we've both been itchin'!!

Anyway, thanks for the report!!! I'll be satisfied with even strolling around DD!:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter