TSM at RD

jnadelman

DIS Veteran
How do they coordinate all of the people at RD going to TSM?
Do they hold you back and walk the line slowly?
I hear people saying that they were there for RD and still waited 15+ minutes just on the FP line and the standby line was 60+.

What is the best strategy?

There is a troop of CMs who walk the TSM crowd over to the attraction in an orderly fashion. If you want to get a FP first, stay to the right of that crowd. The CM's tell you where to stop for the FP.

When I go for RD I make sure I get there to be first in line at a turnstile, then when we go in I make sure that I am actually able to touch the rope.

Here is my nephew at the turnstile on our DHS day:

ry%3D400

We'd always call my sister to chat while we waited for the park to open in the morning. When she realized that we were calling from the park and were first in line she asked why we would do that. So, I took these pictures of the line behind us so I could explain it when we got back home:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

All of these folks were there at rope drop with us. The line went well beyond the ticket booths that you see in the pictures. The folks at the back of that crowd, even though there for rope drop, probably had to wait for FP's and to get on the attraction as indicated in your post.

So how much before opening were you are the turnstiles?
If you are close to first in line for FPs, how long will the standby line be by the time you get your FPs?

I try to be at the park 45-60 minutes before it opens. In July we got FP's first--took about 3 minutes. When we went over to the ride we waited about 10 minutes--although the posted wait time was much longer.

Yesterday, I arrived at about 8:45 and the turnstiles were just opening. I wasn't first in line, but I was between the ticket booths and turnstiles. Since I'm on a scooter with a sprained ankle right now, I went on the ride first. I was off the ride at 9:20 and got a FP (maybe had to wait for three people ahead of me in line) with a return time of 11:25.

A lot will depend on when you're going. Under normal circumstances (no injury, no scooter), I get there 30 minutes before park opening and have never had any problem being toward the front of the crowd, getting a FP with a minimal wait, then riding with another minimal wait (10-20 minutes). I don't think the entire process from RD through FP and first ride has ever taken me more than 30 minutes. All that said, I go in slower times (May & early December). As the pp said, stay to the right of the crowd if you want to get a FP first.

Yesterday, I arrived at about 9:45 and the turnstiles were just opening. I wasn't first in line, but I was between the ticket booths and turnstiles. Since I'm on a scooter with a sprained ankle right now, I went on the ride first. I was off the ride at 9:20 and got a FP (maybe had to wait for three people ahead of me in line) with a return time of 11:25.

A lot will depend on when you're going. Under normal circumstances (no injury, no scooter), I get there 30 minutes before park opening and have never had any problem being toward the front of the crowd, getting a FP with a minimal wait, then riding with another minimal wait (10-20 minutes). I don't think the entire process from RD through FP and first ride has ever taken me more than 30 minutes. All that said, I go in slower times (May & early December). As the pp said, stay to the right of the crowd if you want to get a FP first.

Wow, you arrived at the turnstiles at 9:45 and were off the ride by 9:20, your good. :rotfl2:
I assume you mean you arrived at 8:45. Isn't that only 15 minutes early? doesn't sounds like enough time. Did you arrive at 7:45?

At Rope Drop, the CMs direct guests to enter via the "Rope Drop Path" thru the Animation archway.
DHS-Gate-TSM-BE_092609.jpg

DHS-Gate-TSM-Sat_092609.jpg

Wow, you arrived at the turnstiles at 9:45 and were off the ride by 9:20, your good. :rotfl2:
I assume you mean you arrived at 8:45. Isn't that only 15 minutes early? doesn't sounds like enough time. Did you arrive at 7:45?

Oops, my bad :lmao: (will edit). Yes, I arrived at 8:45. I left BCV on my scooter at 8:30, and it took 15 minutes to get to DHS

The rush to TSM is crazy. Previous poster is correct - to say you were at rope drop for this situation means you have to be at the front of the pack - we usually get there about 30 minutes early. I have never been first at the turnstiles, but near the front.

When you wait for the rope to drop, stay to the left (less people there) and then work your way to the right of the pack as you walk - I have always been able to inch my way up doing this.

We arrived at DHS around 9:45 on a day that it opened at 9:00 on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Yes, i know, rope drop, but it couldn't be helped this day. Anyway, after the descriptions here, I think I'm glad I we waited. We did go directly to TSM, and I was able to get fastpasses with no wait in line at all. Our return time was 11:50, which we thought was very reasonable. Maybe we were just lucky, but being in a crushing pack trying to fight my way to TSM sounds like a nightmare!

With all of the rush to TSM, how are the waits at ToT and RnR at that time of the morning? Dh will not be riding either, so I am thinking of sending him to get the FPs and DS and I heading over to knock the other two out.

Essentially your best bet is to get there late, say just after rope drop. As you see the herd moving your way down the streets you knock into them all and push them aside. Preferably with a stroller. Then you worm your way up to the front of the line saying you are meeting someone already in line. That is how you get on Toy Story Mania first thing...

In August 2008 my family and I got there before Hollywood Studios had opened, however we were somewhere between the middle of everyone else. Anyway had Toy Story Mania not broken down as we were about to get on, we would have basically walked right on with very little wait while in the standby line.

We have an 8:05am breakfast reservation at H&V with park opening at 8am. If we get there about 20 minutes before our breakfast we will be able to go straight to the restaurant, right? Our thought is that all 6 of us will go to the restaurant and then DH will veer off and head to TSM to get fast passes.

Somehow I don't think it is going to be that easy though. Has anyone tried this before and have any suggestions on how to get DH to TSM and back without too much problems? :confused3

No one is able to get FPs until the park has officially opened. My suggestion would be to be one of the first groups to check in for breakfast. Once you get seated and make contact with your server, you can ask for you check sooner rather than later so you don't have to wait for it at the end of the meal when you are panicking and ready to go. At least one person should be done with their meal by 8:40 and walk over to the rope drop area. Approximately 5-10 minutes later, they are going to allow the masses of people waiting at the turnstiles to swipe their tickets and proceed to the rope drop area. The key for you (and/or your husband) is to stay ahead of this pack. Good luck!

1- I don't think it is going to be that easy though. Has anyone tried this before and have

2- any suggestions on how to get DH to TSM and back without too much problems?

1- You're right. He could likely miss a lot of breakfast, I'm afraid.

2- Likely they will open the gates about 7:45AM to all guests.
They will be held in the rope drop area (see image below.)
If your DH decides to go get FP, he will have to wait in the Rope Drop crowd until they finally drop the rope and everyone heads to TSM.

He can get FP's (likely some time in line to get them) and then try to "swim upstream" towards the restaurant against the still in-coming TSM crowd.
If he cuts over towards the Mickey Hat, there are stairs there that will get
him headed toward the restaurant a bit freer than trying to go back through the Animation Arch.

This will likely be a time-consuming venture.

On many mornings, guests (B) are held for Rope Drop near the HAT (#2)
before being released into the park at opening time (Regular of AM EMH.)

[
DHS-EntranceRope-050808.jpg

At Rope Drop, the CMs direct guests to enter via the "Rope Drop Path" thru the Animation archway.
DHS-Gate-TSM-BE_092609.jpg

DHS-Gate-TSM-Sat_092609.jpg

I did not catch the 8:00 park opening with my prior response. Sorry about that. I guess my strategy could still be helpful for anyone who has a 8:05 reservation with a 9:00 park opening. :thumbsup2

I did not catch the 8:00 park opening with my prior response. Sorry about that. I guess my strategy could still be helpful for anyone who has a 8:05 reservation with a 9:00 park opening. :thumbsup2

This is our situation. We have an 8:00 a.m. reservation at H&V before the 9:00 a.m. park opening on 12/18. So, it seems like it would be best for us to arrive to eat as early as possible, ask for our check upon sitting down, and head to the rope drop area around 8:40 a.m. or earlier if possible, correct? Thanks!

:thumbsup2

This is our situation. We have an 8:00 a.m. reservation at H&V before the 9:00 a.m. park opening on 12/18. So, it seems like it would be best for us to arrive to eat as early as possible, ask for our check upon sitting down, and head to the rope drop area around 8:40 a.m. or earlier if possible, correct? Thanks!

:thumbsup2

That would be my recommendation, especially if your entire party's priority is maximizing as many rides on TSM for the day as possible. If some of your party is younger and seeing the characters at H&V is equally important as TSM, this is where you have a decision to make. If you have the luxury of having at least 2 adults in your party, 1 adult can make sure that they are done with breakfast and out the door by 8:40, while the other adult can take their time to finish breakfast and visit with the characters. Your party would then meet up after breakfast, after park opening and hopefully soon after your TSM RD adult has just secured their early FP return time for TSM! Just typing out this response gets me excited. TSM is an awesome attraction and worth the time it takes to plan out an effective strategy to maximize your opportunities. Have fun! :goodvibes

That would be my recommendation, especially if your entire party's priority is maximizing as many rides on TSM for the day as possible. If some of your party is younger and seeing the characters at H&V is equally important as TSM, this is where you have a decision to make. If you have the luxury of having at least 2 adults in your party, 1 adult can make sure that they are done with breakfast and out the door by 8:40, while the other adult can take their time to finish breakfast and visit with the characters. Your party would then meet up after breakfast, after park opening and hopefully soon after your TSM RD adult has just secured their early FP return time for TSM! Just typing out this response gets me excited. TSM is an awesome attraction and worth the time it takes to plan out an effective strategy to maximize your opportunities. Have fun! :goodvibes

Thanks so much! I love the helpfulness of members like you on this board. :goodvibes

Not to mention the lively discussions.... :rotfl:

My 3.5 yo nephew will want to see the characters. I will head out early to get the TSM FP and meet the rest of the group at the line. It would be great to ride twice that morning. It is our last day, and it is the only day we plan to be at DHS early enough to get a FP to ride TSM.

2 days!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter