Trying something different

littlbugmom

DIS Veteran
DH and I are planning an adults only trip. All but one of our previous trips have been at an off property condo and for our family of 4, that's what we prefer. But we think that because this trip will just be the two of us, we should mix things up and stay on property.

We're considering Art of Animation for the first week of May. I'm kind of freaking about not having a kitchen. How difficult is it to spend a week in just a room? Are there tricks to making it more convenient?

The only other time we stayed on property was our first trip at OKW in a villa. The villa was great but we have to stick with a value resort for this trip.

DH and I are planning an adults only trip. All but one of our previous trips have been at an off property condo and for our family of 4, that's what we prefer. But we think that because this trip will just be the two of us, we should mix things up and stay on property.

We're considering Art of Animation for the first week of May. I'm kind of freaking about not having a kitchen. How difficult is it to spend a week in just a room? Are there tricks to making it more convenient?

The only other time we stayed on property was our first trip at OKW in a villa. The villa was great but we have to stick with a value resort for this trip.
Why do you want to stay at a value instead of offsite? WDW values are like motel rooms. Is it for the theming? You could do an AOA suite which would be more like what you're used to, but that would be pricey (as much as an upper-tier moderate or less-expensive deluxe standard room). You might enjoy staying onsite, but be prepared for the lodging to be bare bones.

Last edited:
Value is all we want to spend. We can't justify spending more on a vacation for 2 than we do for a vacation for 4.

If I were going value, I wouldn't stay in AoA, it's the most expensive one there is. For the almost the same price, you can go moderate or in some cases, the Dolphin. As far as your question, we have never stayed off site but we have stayed in one bedroom and studio DVC villas (we aren't DVC members but in one case I rented points and in the others, they were just cheaper than a regular room). I'm not a huge fan of cooking while on vacation, I'll be honest, I rarely cook at home. The only thing I used the kitchen for in the one bedroom was to make coffee and store leftovers in the fridge, which then got thrown away. The only thing I used the microwave for in the studios was to heat up coffee from the coffee pot when I made a full pot and didn't drink it all. I think it would depend on what you use the kitchen/microwave for as to whether you would miss it. All the resorts have microwaves in the QS dining areas so if it's just to heat something up, you could do it from there and all the resorts have small dorm type fridges in the room. The values are going toward putting coffee makers in the rooms but they haven't all gotten there yet, all the moderate and deluxe rooms have them and the Swan/Dolphin have them.

I would look at FQ. If it’s just you two how much will you really need a kitchen?
FQ standard rooms will probably be slightly over $200 without any discounts (sometimes they offer them for this property but I’ve also seen it excluded before).

I would not spend the money at AofA if I wanted a value. It is the most expensive, and honestly, I would just move to a moderate at that point. For a couple I like POFQ.

I never cook at all on vacation so no kitchen is a non issue for my family. We are low maintenance in terms of food, so if I wanted to eat in our room I would pack breakfast bars or buy yogurt to keep in the refrigerator.

Having stayed at All Star Movies I'd rather stay offsite in a condo with space, kitchen, and laundry. We hardly ever do EMH.

DH and I went just the 2 of us last November. We stayed at Pop and loved it. One of our favorite things about a Disney trip is neither one of us has to drive for the entire week. We have always had free dining, though, so we do not miss having a kitchen. As the one 100% in charge of food acquisition and prep, I love not having to cook or prepare any food except for tossing a granola bar to someone here and there.

If you're used to a off-site condo a Value resort is going to be quite the adjustment. The All-Stars, are far from everything but the AK, and IMO, quite dated. AOA is newer BUT if you don't want a suite you are in the back of the property furthest from everything. Of all the Value resorts, I'd try POP. It's a bit closer to the action than the All Stars and you have a better chance at a decent room location.

All that said, and I'm a HUGE Disney fan, but have you considered one of the DS area hotels? There is a DoubleTree Guest Suites close and the B hotel runs lots of specials. There are some good options there for those who don't want to deal with the Disney prices but are still pretty much in the middle of the action.

Value is all we want to spend. We can't justify spending more on a vacation for 2 than we do for a vacation for 4.
I understand, and still I personally can't recommend it. We spent a week at Pop once and that was enough to make me realize that values aren't for me. I'm just so done with motels. Since you're used to comfortable accommodations during WDW trips, you might have issues with it, too.

Do you like camping? If you're going when the weather is fair, you could tent camp at Fort Wilderness. We really enjoyed that.

But otherwise, I'd recommend a nice offsite hotel room within the WDW gates, instead. I'm sure you could find one for the price of a WDW value.

I second looking at the Disney Springs Resort Area Hotels. They have some pretty good deals and they come with all the FP benefits of being onsite as well as EMH and shuttles to the parks. And they can cost less than a value. http://disneyspringshotels.com

That said, I actually don't hate AOA. I do find it a little pricey at times and would rather stay at CSR which I can often find a good deal on for not much more than AOA. I never miss having a kitchen in a room, I never really cook there so wherever I have suites with kitchens I only ever use the sink, and rarely. The space is enough, and I find I spend more time out and about the resort, at the cafes or pools.

How difficult is it to spend a week in just a room? Are there tricks to making it more convenient?

It's not 'difficult' at all, thousands of people do it every day there. But they mainly eat in Disney food courts and restaurants... And it cost a good bit of money to do that.
If you want to cook/eat in your room, then most on site regular rooms are not what you are looking for... Especially the values.
So need to decide what's more important... Having facilities in your room to cook, or staying on Disney property. Sounds like money is an issue, so obviously off site is going to be much cheaper option.

Depending upon how much you're willing to cook in room, you might be able to save enough on food to afford a slightly higher nightly rate for the 1bed villas w/kitchen at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West. Otherwise, I'd look at Pop or POFQ (both should be cheaper than AOA). Or Swan/Dolphin, Disney Springs area, or Bonnet Creek area hotels.

If it were me, I'd get enough sandwich and breakfast foods that don't need cooking (utilize the in room fridge)to save on two meals per day, eat out for one hot meal per day, and stay at POFQ.

Camping at Fort Wilderness is an excellent value. We buy our on food from the grocery and cook for the week. Very relaxing in the outdoors.

If a kitchen is important... AOA suites aren't cheap.

You could also easily rent DVC points for a studio for about $160-$180 a night depending on where you choose which would include a kitchenette.

Last edited:
We have never stayed off site so I cant compare, but when we go I am on vacation and I dont want to cook or drive if I dont have too. I would also suggest forgoing the AoA if its just the two of you. We have stayed at POR (moderate) several times or I would suggest POP if you are looking to save some $$.

We've done both. It really isn't that bad. If your all about saving money though you can always take an uber to a nearby supermarket and buy some food. Or if your driving pack it in a cooler. Sometimes if were w/o our whole family on the trip (especially my dad) we buy food (muffins, bread, etc) and make sandwiches until it's gone. There's is a refrigerator in your room so you can store food. Might I suggest for your next trip as a family staying at either AoA, ASMu, (they have kitchenette's) or even the cabins a FW! The cabins have AMAZING kitchens inside them:tongue: Also look into Dave's DVC Rentals. He has some good deals on deluxe studios and most of them have kitchenette's;)

p07jmt82e68hmsnr.png

When it’s just the two of us I pack English muffins and Jif singles and buy some fruit in the gift shop. We eat breakfast out maybe once. Then we head out to the pool til after lunch-and you can easily share a sandwich from the pool bars-we find it’s hot and you don’t want to eat that much.
Since it’s just the two of you, check out the bars for dinners-it’s fun to just order a drink and a couple appetizers. You won’t miss your kitchen at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter