• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Troubling issue with MK parking lot trams

You'll be walking miles in the theme park once you reach it, so what's another half a mile?

It may be the trams are down temporarily for maintenance or something.

I think the part that is concerning is the safety aspect. You can't get run over by a car inside the park. Confused motorists and confused pedestrians don't tend to mix well. If there were a dedicated pedestrian path, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

A half mile on hot blacktop, with traffic, no shade, no distractions isn't safe, so yes, "another half mile" is a big deal when it's a half mile in those conditions. I agree with @KrazeeK120 - if there were a dedicated pedestrian path, perhaps with shade, and not made of blacktop, it would be a lot different.

From what I can find they own a total of 28 trams for the 4 parks. I'm more curious as to how long tram service was down. The OP didn't hang out for hours. They saw one small moment in time. I would think if they were down all day we would have seen more than one post about it.

Does anyone know where they are stored when they are not in use?

I just noticed the OP saw trams running. I wonder where they were running to? A different part of the lot? Their assumption that it is a cost saving measure makes me want to discredit their whole post. That is a huge conclusion to draw out of one moment in time.
They are stored in the back parking lots. You've never noticed them parked and lined up in the MK parking lot?

Read the CM post a couple above yours. AK has 4 trams and they HAVE had situations where 3 have been down at one time. Now, that is AK. No idea how many MK has, but if they have a large enough percentage out, then it can impact the whole schedule. Does Disney have back ups? I am sure they do, but who knows how many backups they have (would be stupid if they keep too many on hand not being used yet still have to maintain them) or if they were already in service somewhere else.

And in the OP's post they do say that there were SOME running, just to lots further out then they were at. "There were trams running, but they were not servicing Hook or anywhere nearby." It would make sense that if Disney was short for whatever reason that they would prioritize the lots at the VERY far edges and use what they had as far as they could.

Now, I am NOT saying this is what happened OR that Disney was 100% in the right. There are some safety issues that should have been taken care of by them. I am only saying that the idea that this HAS to be a cost cutting measure is a reach. There could be other reasons that we have no control over or knowledge of. I just think people shouldn't freak out "OMG Disney is cutting stuff again!!!!" without at least some more information.

It probably was just a fluke and they were having issues that day.. ok. All I would ask for is that there are signs or CM's telling folks what lots don't have trams running that day. Then I can make an informed decision, and park in a lot where there's a tram available to me. If I have to wait for a tram, that's my choice but at least I was informed. For those who don't mind the walk, they can park where they want.. seems reasonable. That seems fair to me.. but, don't just tell guests once they are parked, it's not far to walk and then push them to walk.. that seems wrong in my opinion.

Is there any point where some of you wouldn't defend Disney? I'm really curious because it sure seems like there never comes a point for some of you where Disney isn't always in the right. It's always the person with the complaint who seems to be the problem for some of you.. never the multi billion dollar business that is charging a fortune to visit their parks. I'm sorry but, sometimes these complaints are actually legitimate and yes, even Disney is imperfect!

Disney absolutely is imperfect. But we don't know everything about this situation yet. One thing I learned working at Disney is that humans (both in person and on the internet) are quick to judge. The public does not get to know everything about the inner happenings behind the scenes, nor should it. But people then always assume bad intentions, even when there are none.

There could be so many explanations, but people jump to greed and budget cuts as the first response for many things. I don't doubt the OP's account of what they saw, but we need more data points before we jump to the default internet outrage.

In any case, it is always proper to send a rational note to Guest Services if you truly feel unhappy about something. There is no vast conspiracy to destroy the Guest experience... and your feedback is always taken seriously internally (even if there are certain things they can't tell you in official correspondence).

Sometimes there are people who come here to complain and you can sort of tell that they are just looking for anything little thing to get upset about.
I think as posters we can discern for ourselves what to take seriously and what to dismiss.

Other times, like this thread, there are real complaints that seem reasonable and shouldn't just get brushed off from the usual "Disney does no wrong" crowd.

After OP posted this within the first few responses were people making it seem like OP was just a malcontent who shouldn't complain about having to walk that extra distance.
It does feel some have this attitude that the guest owes Disney something and not the other way around. As if we should thank our lucky stars Disney accepts our money and let's us vacation there.. lol

I chimed in because I thought it was unfair. Some of us have physical limitations and that extra distance to walk is really pushing it. I have a issue where a scooter isn't the answer for me as sitting all day is just as bad for me as being on my feet. So yes I can walk but, it's gets to a point where the walking has a limit and even a short distance after I reach that limit can be very difficult. A long walk before I even get started in the parks would just mean I come to that limit sooner than I normally would if I had a tram to ride. And the walking back to the car after a day in the parks would be quite difficult for me I think.

I definitely would let Guest Relations know if I was in OP's position. I'm hoping I do not run into anything like that on my next trip this fall.

We were there a month ago and I've never seen so many trams at MK. They were literally coming one after another. They also told us that if we miss the last tram back, it would be a 20 minute walk (can't recall which lot but it was heroes).

I can't see how they would think it was acceptable to not have any tram service from that lot. They could tell you there are technical issues and there will be severely reduced service, but to have none at all is just not acceptable.

People are glossing over the part of the OP's story where, as a regular visitor to the park, they have observed CMs directing people to walk instead of waiting for trams on recent visits.

We have been to WDW 5 years in a row and have never observed this once. This CM behavior makes it seems as if they are trying to condition people to not use trams and walk instead. It would be nice to hear from other recent visitors if this is something they have observed regularly.
I agree - the OP was very specific about behavior not seen before. If the OP's observations were correct, and I will assume that they were, then something unusual was happening. Something that requires a little more attention if it represents a change, but may be nothing altogether if the CMs were just trying to get past some sort of issue.

First I'd like to thank the original poster for providing this information. While I don't typically see a 1/2 mile as that big of a deal (my most recent race was a 50 k, which is longer then a marathon) but I don't wan't to be told as I'm facing a day in the heat chasing after my child and trying to convince her to let me push her in the stroller that I get to walk an extra 1/2 mile. Additionally I agree on the saftey factor; as last time I was there I did not see any clearly marked pedestrian path I don't really think it's a great idea to walk around there. Finally, what about the parents who are renting a stroller once they get inside the Magic Kingdom; now they get to carry or have their child walk for that distance. For younger children this could be an issue. I'm rather shocked that Disney is doing this and will keep my eyes open when I visit in May to see if they are doing this while we are there.

I agree with OP. We were there the first week in April and parked in both the Mulan and Rapunzel lots. Both mornings we were shocked that they were saying it was just a quick walk to the TTC, DH and I just looked at each other and thought "No way is that a "quick" walk." Especially with a 3 and 5 year old. We gladly waited for the tram and passed numerous people who had started walking way before the next tram arrived. This was also during the April heat wave and by the time we got to the gates of MK I was dripping in sweat, I could only imagine how I would have felt if we had walked!

I, too, agree that this is a cost cutting measure only. If they want to get rid of the trams completely, that's fine but I will be fully prepared when I get to the parking lot. Don't offer a tram only part of the time and then lie to the guests about how far it is.

Hi everyone -- thanks for all of comments and discussion! I just finished a shift serving ice cream at GKTW (the best part of being a local - so many cute munchkins tonight!) and I knew there would be some good responses to read through. Definitely some things for me to think about...also, I have a few things to add to clarify and maybe elaborate a bit.

1. First, yes, part of the reason I raised this is definitely because I feel like I'm seeing a trend. My AP has been blacked out for the past 2 weeks, but for the 4-6 weeks prior to that I have noticed that each time I visit on Saturday morning, there is a CM very loudly and enthusiastically telling me to walk to the gate rather than wait for a tram. I was sort of hyper aware of it one morning because even though I usually do prefer to walk rather than wedge myself onto a packed tram, that morning I just didn't feel like making the walk. It was unusually humid, I was tired, and...I just didn't feel like it. And while I was waiting for another tram, I was just really surprised to have this CM repeating over and over "YOU. DO. NOT. NEED. TO. WAIT. FOR. A. TRAM! It's just a 3-5 minute walk! It's faster to walk!" It was aggressive, and it just didn't have a tone of someone trying to offer a helpful suggestion. It was more like, don't be lazy, just walk. That particular time I was in Peter Pan, about halfway into the section.

I thought it might help to provide a few visuals. First, here's an aerial view I found of the parking lot (I believe this is the current Heroes/Villains layout) -- the blue line marks the distance from where I parked in Hook yesterday to the bag check area at the TTC. We basically walked across half of the lot:

PL full.JPG

2. My main concern was safety. As others have mentioned, there is not really a clear pedestrian pathway. As you travel through the lot, the lines sort of become unclear and it's hard to figure out where traffic might be coming from. Also, from Hook you follow a pathway that curves around, and then you have a lot of freedom as to where to walk (the same thing is true on the Heroes side as well). There probably is a "correct" path to follow, but it requires you to follow a long curve and it isn't the most direct way to get to the tunnel that leads to the TTC. Here's a very crude rendering (the blue line) of the path that people are probably meant to take (this is a cropped view of the total walk, but you'll get the idea):

pl right.JPG

The problem I saw yesterday is that once people got past the tree line (marked) and they could kind of see where the TTC tunnel is, they just sort scattered and walked any way they thought was correct. This is where I saw lots of people crossing active roadways and traffic, because they didn't seem to realize that people were trying to park in the preferred and handicap lots. The red lines represent the directions that various groups of people were taking (they were literally everywhere), and I would estimate that there were about 200-300 people in my line of sight at any time (and plenty more behind me):

pl bad.JPG

*note -- I know these maps have AAA Diamond Parking marked and that's not there anymore, but otherwise I think these are pretty accurate

There were no CMs past the tree line, and no one to help visitors find the proper path to take. Now, I didn't see any accidents, or even near accidents...but I couldn't help but feel that the potential for something to happen was just way too strong for my comfort.

3. I didn't question the CM yesterday who said there were no trams for the Hook lot. No one else really questioned him (there was just a lot of groaning) and I am perfectly able-bodied and could manage the walk. So I didn't directly ask for an explanation (like tram maintenance or something else), but he did not offer one. There were trams running, we did see one on the Villains side heading from the TTC out into the parking lot, but we were told we could not wait for that one or cross the road to board it. There were several trams running from the Heroes side (they passed us as we all went through the tunnel), and I was able to take a tram back out to the Villains side when I left a few hours later.

4. Part of the reason this leaves a bad taste in my mouth is that I do feel like the CMs are misleading people, or being told to mislead people, about the walk times and I feel (again, my opinion) that it's intentional. Telling people it will be a 3-5 minute walk from any lot other than preferred parking is just wrong. I was told 5 minutes from my spot in Hook yesterday, and when it clocked in at least .5 miles, I feel confident saying that few people are making that walk in 5 minutes. So tell people to walk, no problem...but tell them it is probably 10-15 minutes and let them decide whether they are up to it, whether they want to insist that their little ones are in strollers, or whether they want to wait. I wondered what the CM might say to someone on crutches or using a cane, someone who has an obvious mobility issue, maybe they would get more accurate info. But still, there are so many people who don't have "obvious" issues that might really need a tram, and what will their experience be?

5. I do agree that this weekend was particularly busy and that might have been a factor. Spring break crowds were still out in force and they were parking people on grassy areas when I was leaving, leading me to believe the parking lot was quite full, and the Star Wars races were taking up some space in the farthest section of the MK parking lot. And I do wonder if either of those played a role...but on the other hand, those are all things under Disney's control. If they want to have a race, or allow huge numbers of cars into their parking lot on a busy weekend, that's up to them. I don't see that this gives them an excuse to provide substandard service to guests paying high prices for both tickets and parking, particularly if that poor service creates potentially dangerous situations.

ETA: I also thought about whether this had something to do with the move of bag check and metal detectors to the TTC. And, maaayyybe that could be possible, at least as a theory Disney is testing. I did notice the "encouragement" to walk well before security screening started at the TTC, but maybe it was an anticipatory move...concern about too many trams full of people arriving at the same time? The problem is, the walkers still arrive in pretty big throngs at the same time, and I still don't think that is a good excuse for telling people "it's just 5 minutes" and not providing clear and safe walkways. But I did mention this in my email to Disney, so we'll see if there's anything there.

6. I'm pretty sure the guest experience is still important to Disney, and this was not a good one. Walking through a hot parking lot without shade is not magical. And I only expect tram service in the parking lot because Disney has been providing it for the 25 years that I've been visiting WDW. They created that expectation for me (and all of their guests), and it means something if they are going to suddenly limit or restrict that service.

7. And finally, regarding my assumption that this is a cost-cutting measure -- it's true, this is just a guess and it's based only on my experience. But I will say that in the past year, I have seen so many things at Disney go shockingly down hill that I just tend to default to blaming it all on management trying to save money. Bathrooms that are absolutely filthy, trash strewn throughout ride queues, cast members that are badly misinformed and downright rude, rides CONSTANTLY breaking down...again, it's just my experience but the change is pretty dramatic and I do find myself missing the magical experience of just a few years ago.

I will await a response from Disney, and I may also try to go over to the MK one morning this week and see what the situation is. I'd love to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience -- maybe I'm just realllly unlucky these days!

Last edited:
It is another cheapening of the high cost experience

The fact that they provide bandaids?

Trams being down for an unknown reason shouldn't be considered cheapening it. Gotta find out what's going on first.

Bumbershoot, I did stop by City Hall on the way in and out but the line both times was insane. I sent an email to some generic address and I expect to get a generic response.

Bummer that this wasn't worth the wait. You seem to care enough about it to wait.

The bummer is that if you wait in line that day at that park it's an immediate thing. Now with the email you're getting someone offsite who isn't there and wasn't there that day, and it's not immediate.

And all you have is this now. You don't have a "the rest of the story" yet. And having the full info from the CMs there that day would have been amazing.

She doesn't need a cane or wheelchair, but she does have a limit to how much walking she can comfortably do and it really seems a waste for her to do it in the parking lot (especially when CMs are not being truthful about "just a five minute walk"). I thought others might be in a similar situation.

If you had been with her, wouldn't you have gone to the CM and talked with them? Gotten help? I sure would have. But you didn't talk to the cm to see what would be done in that situation, so you don't know what their full capabilities were that day.

People are glossing over the part of the OP's story where, as a regular visitor to the park, they have observed CMs directing people to walk instead of waiting for trams on recent visits.

Wine and Dine half marathon weekend 2014 my friend and I chose to walk when the MK tram CMs told us what the wait would be like! Nothing new. Just doesn't happen to everyone every day.

Not everyone wants to be in a tram. I think I've only ridden the MK tram once or so, because we tend to get there either very early or in the afternoon and were directed to the front of the lot (where I suppose preferred parking is now, so those days are over). The time with my friend we were in Egypt but still
chose forward motion rather than standing in the sun.

I agree - the OP was very specific about behavior not seen before. If the OP's observations were correct, and I will assume that they were, then something unusual was happening. Something that requires a little more attention if it represents a change, but may be nothing altogether if the CMs were just trying to get past some sort of issue.

Sure would've been nice to have the answers from the CMs that day.

But I'm "that guy" who would have talked to a CM telling me it was 5 minutes if I knew it wasn't 5 minutes. :) Proper communication is very important to me (I hate miscommunication and being misunderstood more than I hated bell peppers as a child), so understanding why they were giving bad timing advice would be a priority for me. (Yes i irritate my family when I do that)

And the couple times I've had an immediate complaint at the parks? I wait in the line to get heard.

Last edited:

Trams being down for an unknown reason shouldn't be considered cheapening it. Gotta find out what's going on first.

Bummer that this wasn't worth the wait. You seem to care enough about it to wait.

The bummer is that if you wait in line that day at that park it's an immediate thing. Now with the email you're getting someone offsite who isn't there and wasn't there that day, and it's not immediate.

And all you have is this now. You don't have a "the rest of the story" yet. And having the full info from the CMs there that day would have been amazing.

If you had been with her, wouldn't you have gone to the CM and talked with them? Gotten help? I sure would have. But you didn't talk to the cm to see what would be done in that situation, so you don't know what their full capabilities were that day.

Wine and Dine half marathon weekend 2014 my friend and I chose to walk when the MK tram CMs told us what the wait would be like! Nothing new. Just doesn't happen to everyone every day.

Not everyone wants to be in a tram. I think I've only ridden the MK tram once or so, because we tend to get there either very early or in the afternoon and were directed to the front of the lot (where I suppose preferred parking is now, so those days are over). The time with my friend we were in Egypt but still

Sure would've been nice to have the answers from the CMs that day.

But I'm "that guy" who would have talked to a CM telling me it was 5 minutes if I knew it wasn't 5 minutes. :) Proper communication is very important to me (I hate miscommunication and being misunderstood more than I hated bell peppers as a child), so understanding why they were giving bad timing advice would be a priority for me. (Yes i irritate my family when I do that)

And the couple times I've had an immediate complaint at the parks? I wait in the line to get heard.

So it's the OP's fault? You sure seem to be implying OP did something wrong here and didn't handle it correctly.. not like you would have done had it have been you.

The bummer is that if you it in line that day at that park it's an immediate thing. Now you're getting someone offsite who isn't there and wasn't there that day, and it's not immediate.

And all you have is this now. You don't have a "the rest of the story". And having the full info from the cms there that day would have been amazing.

If you had been with her, wouldn't you have gone to the CM and talked with them? Gotten help? I sure would have. But you didn't talk to the cm to see what would be done in that siatuatiom, so you don't know what their full capabilities were that day.

Wine and Dine half marathon weekend 2014 my friend and I chose to walk when the MK tram cms told us what the wait would be like! Nothing new. Just doesn't happen to everyone every day.

Not everyone wants to be in a tram. I think I've knot ridden the MK tram once or so, because we tend to get there either very early or in the afternoon and were directed to the front of the lot. The time with my friend we were in Egypt but still

Sure would've been nice to have the answers from the cms that day.

But I'm "that guy" who would have talked to a CM telling me it was 5 minutes if I knew it wasn't 5 minutes. :)

I'm the OP and can address a couple of things. Trams weren't down yesterday, CM just said there were no trams stopping in Hook. I was by myself and was fine to walk, so I didn't think it was the right time for me to go up to that CM and talk hypotheticals (what if I had my mom with me, what if I had a broken foot, etc.). I'm certain they would have found a solution for us, but to me that's a major change from the usual experience (being able to just wait for a tram, whether I needed it or just felt riding instead of walking) and I don't think this CM would have been able to explain if there was some larger strategy change at play.

In the past, I haven't found City Hall/Guest Services to be great about handling these kinds of issues. If your Magic Band isn't working, or you need a guest assistance card (or whatever they call it these days), yes, they can help. But something like a parking lot issue, I've always found that they just take a little report and say someone will contact you. So I thought my email to Disney accomplished the same thing. If there was some real issue (major mechanical failure of multiple trams), I would hope that would be something that is logged and could be looked up by whoever answers my email. And if it was just a weird fluke...OK, maybe that's what it is. But part of the reason I wanted to raise it here was to see if others had the same experience and see what people think. Sometimes there are coincidences and sometimes there are patterns of behavior...I just feel like I'm seeing a pattern.

Thanks for posting OP. I hope you will update the post with your re-visit observation and the response that Disney provides, if they respond and choose to explain.
I'm hoping this was an Off day.

The scenario you describe.. allegedly purposely indicating the wrong total walking distance, not offering Signage to indicate no tram before parking and the safety issues of walking thru a parking lot.. not a path ( and not covered) ..It certainly does not represent the Disney service that long time Guests, including me have come to accept.
Again, hope it was an isolated instance.

First I'd like to thank the original poster for providing this information. While I don't typically see a 1/2 mile as that big of a deal (my most recent race was a 50 k, which is longer then a marathon) but I don't wan't to be told as I'm facing a day in the heat chasing after my child and trying to convince her to let me push her in the stroller that I get to walk an extra 1/2 mile. Additionally I agree on the saftey factor; as last time I was there I did not see any clearly marked pedestrian path I don't really think it's a great idea to walk around there. Finally, what about the parents who are renting a stroller once they get inside the Magic Kingdom; now they get to carry or have their child walk for that distance. For younger children this could be an issue. I'm rather shocked that Disney is doing this and will keep my eyes open when I visit in May to see if they are doing this while we are there.

Thanks! I'm mostly a lurker and didn't know if anyone would even look at this thread or my super wordy post -- I really was curious what others thought, and it sounds like we're pretty much on the same page (except for our athletic abilities -- I max out at a half marathon, so congrats on the 50K!). I'll be interested to hear what your experience is like next month.

I agree with OP. We were there the first week in April and parked in both the Mulan and Rapunzel lots. Both mornings we were shocked that they were saying it was just a quick walk to the TTC, DH and I just looked at each other and thought "No way is that a "quick" walk." Especially with a 3 and 5 year old. We gladly waited for the tram and passed numerous people who had started walking way before the next tram arrived. This was also during the April heat wave and by the time we got to the gates of MK I was dripping in sweat, I could only imagine how I would have felt if we had walked!

I, too, agree that this is a cost cutting measure only. If they want to get rid of the trams completely, that's fine but I will be fully prepared when I get to the parking lot. Don't offer a tram only part of the time and then lie to the guests about how far it is.

Rapunzel and Mulan are so far away! Sometimes I skip the wait for a tram at the end of an MK visit and walk back, and I ALWAYS regret it if I'm all the way in one of those lots. As I said, I am active and walk a lot in my everyday life (and lived in NYC near a terrible subway line for 10 years before moving to Orlando) and telling people it's an easy walk to the TTC from every section of the parking lot just isn't cool. With monorail service as unpredictable as it's been, next thing they'll be saying is "it's just a quick 1 mile swim from the TTC to the MK, how refreshing after that long walk through the parking lot!" :rotfl2:

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm mostly a lurker and didn't know if anyone would even look at this thread or my super wordy post -- I really was curious what others thought, and it sounds like we're pretty much on the same page (except for our athletic abilities -- I max out at a half marathon, so congrats on the 50K!). I'll be interested to hear what your experience is like next month.

Rapunzel and Mulan are so far away! Sometimes I skip the wait for a tram at the end of an MK visit and walk back, and I ALWAYS regret it if I'm all the way in one of those lots. As I said, I am active and walk a lot in my everyday life (and lived in NYC near a terrible subway line for 10 years before moving to Orlando) and telling people it's an easy walk to the TTC from every section of the parking lot just isn't cool. With monorail service as unpredictable as it's been, next thing they'll be saying is "it's just a quick 1 mile swim from the TTC to the MK, how refreshing after that long walk through the parking lot!" :rotfl2:

Thanks for your report! I'm thinking of having a car on my next visit in June, so if I end up driving I'll keep an eye out for whether this is still happening.

Disney's cost cutting, penny pinching, scratching-clawing-scraping for every last dollar is going from stingy to miserly, to ridiculous. The more billions they make, the cheaper they get. They spend a lot of money to build new attractions (probably because competition from Universal and others makes it unwise to slash budgets there) but cut corners everywhere else, hoping not too many of us will notice. Well, we're noticing. I don't even drive at WDW and this has gotten me steamed. And lying about the walking distance shows such contempt for guests, this is truly adding insult to injury.

We need to complain to Disney about crap like this. Let them know that we're not going to put up with this, and they can't just keep hacking and slashing at the guest experience.

Last edited:
What the OP is describing is a nightmare scenario for for my family. DH broke his spine in an ATV accident and has a titanium vertebrae, plus multiple bolts and hooks in his spine. You would never know it looking at him. Thank god, he's a walking miracle. But he's limited in the amount of walking he can do until his back pain becomes unbearable, and sitting for long periods of time makes it worse, so no scooter for us. This means the minute we get to the park a timer goes off and we only get to spend as much time as his back will allow. We manage the parks thanks to meticulous planning. Starting the day off with a half mile walk would have a big negative effect on our day. It's beyond me how people can judge others and not be just a tiny bit open minded and think that possibly there are others for whom half a mile is a long way to walk.

What I'd really like to hear is more people's experiences at the parking lots. So many on these boards go to WDW often. It would be great to hear if this has been their experience as well!

Last edited:
So how come we never heard of this kind of thing happening during other Spring Breaks? It's just a coincidence that this is happening under Bob Chapek (rearrange the letters to spell "cheap") as Parks Chairman? He's done nothing but institute one round of cost-cutting after another.

Let's not be too quick to bend over backwards coming up with excuses for a multi-billion dollar company that is rolling in profits and with vast resources at its disposal. IMHO, instead of inventing rationalizations, we, as fans, should hold them up to the high standards they have set in the past. Let's not forget where all this parks money comes from: our collective pockets!

Last edited:
I'm the OP and can address a couple of things. Trams weren't down yesterday, CM just said there were no trams stopping in Hook. I was by myself and was fine to walk, so I didn't think it was the right time for me to go up to that CM and talk hypotheticals (what if I had my mom with me, what if I had a broken foot, etc.). I'm certain they would have found a solution for us, but to me that's a major change from the usual experience (being able to just wait for a tram, whether I needed it or just felt riding instead of walking) and I don't think this CM would have been able to explain if there was some larger strategy change at play.

In the past, I haven't found City Hall/Guest Services to be great about handling these kinds of issues. If your Magic Band isn't working, or you need a guest assistance card (or whatever they call it these days), yes, they can help. But something like a parking lot issue, I've always found that they just take a little report and say someone will contact you. So I thought my email to Disney accomplished the same thing. If there was some real issue (major mechanical failure of multiple trams), I would hope that would be something that is logged and could be looked up by whoever answers my email. And if it was just a weird fluke...OK, maybe that's what it is. But part of the reason I wanted to raise it here was to see if others had the same experience and see what people think. Sometimes there are coincidences and sometimes there are patterns of behavior...I just feel like I'm seeing a pattern.

Thanks for the maps. It does illustrate the safety thing much more clearly!

Something I was wondering about, OP:

Do you only go on Saturdays? Have you seen this pattern at other times during the week?
My thought is that the "no tram" was a fluke- and the other times the CMs tell people to walk it's because otherwise they have to put up with people complaining about the wait for the tram. That wouldn't excuse them lying about the distance, but I could definitely see that being the case. And in the case of no trams- you didn't ask for assistance to to park elsewhere or have anyone with you who visibly needed assistance. So you don't know if they had a protocol in place for that- maybe they had golf carts on call or something.

Also: I'm not sure if you said, but were there teams running at the end of the night?

Anyway, I'm not a "Disney can do no wrong" type but I kind of agree with the folks who say you just don't have enough information to draw the conclusion that this is some kind of cost cutting measure. There ARE a finite number of trams, after all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter