• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Troubling issue with MK parking lot trams

From the OP's post, it doesn't seem like Disney was even admitting the issue to guests......just telling people "not to wait" instead of saying there would not be a tram (if that's that case).
Thanks. Like I said, signage would have solved the problem.

There is a huge difference between walking in a theme park with periodical shade and wonderful attractions that grab your attention and walking with your kids across a blazing hot asphalt surface with no shade and no distractions in sight.

Actually, I still think about our seemingly endless trek across the Hollywood Studios parking lot. Somehow, all the miles we walked in the parks never bothered me like that sweaty walk.

This is concerning and a huge change from the last time I was there (7 months ago) when the tram service was very well coordinated with the cars parking so that a tram would pick up a row or two at a time and leave right away, it was extremely efficient. That's when I was arriving at the start of the day. I have arrived at random times during the day and don't always have a tram waiting, but in most cases at those times I end up parked closer then first thing in the morning so I just walk. I always wondered why they kept a closer section open early in the morning and I figured out it was for later in the day arrivals so they can more easily walk and then running trams with only a handful of people isn't necessary.

But, if they aren't offering a tram at a peak arrival time and they have crowds of people walking through the parking lot at the same time, then that makes no sense to me and definitely concerning.

Actually, it seems the correct term old have been ignorant. No one can be so self-involved that it wouldn't automatically occur to you that not everyone has the same situation as YOU. Obviously it seems YOU don't have a need/want for the tram, but there are MANY other ppl. who do (pretty simple thought process that not everyone brings their own scooter or stroller -hence the ridiculous amount of money Disney makes off their renters.)

Ok.

It absolutely helps to send an email to Disney with your feedback. Even if you get a generic response, trust me that they will read it and will discuss it in meetings. Guest satisfaction is actually very important to Disney (despite how it sometimes sounds on here), so if this was indeed a cutback and people are not happy, your feedback actually makes a difference.

I would also ask the cast member if there was still tram service and how long the wait would be. Maybe they figured walking was fine for some people, but I would insist on knowing if it were important to me.

I'm wondering if this might have to do with the spring break problem that all theme parks face, where college students only have a week off but you need to staff up for multiple peak weeks. Many tourist attractions are frustrated during this time trying to fill shifts. In that case, it might not be as much an issue in the summer.

It is clear to me that this is a cost-saving measure to reduce the number of trams and CMs needed in the parking lot (as we walked, everyone was making jokes wondering if Disney would be charging for tram rides now or if there would be carts on Main Street selling bandaids for everyone's new blisters). I have been visiting the MK for more than 20 years and I have NEVER not been offered a tram from the parking lot or been aggressively cajoled by CMs to walk from the middle or back sections of the lot.

This part troubles me. After going to Disney World for over 20 years, the first thing you click on is Disney trying to save money. Please post what happens next time you visit Magic Kingdom.

Does anyone truly believe they would remove the trams to save money? Anyone? I feel ridiculous even typing that. Need a parachute for that jump to conclusion.

Probably there was an issue with the trams. Disney isn't going to tell guests if they are broken. I'm not understanding why it is even a huge deal. It would suck to have to walk in from the parking lot, but not the end of the world drama.

Does anyone truly believe they would remove the trams to save money? Anyone? I feel ridiculous even typing that. Need a parachute for that jump to conclusion.

Probably there was an issue with the trams. Disney isn't going to tell guests if they are broken. I'm not understanding why it is even a huge deal. It would suck to have to walk in from the parking lot, but not the end of the world drama.
It sounds like they weren't running any trams in one area. Would so many trams have issues all at once?

Also, walking such a distance can be difficult for some people.

I don't know how many trams MK has available, but I know from the parking folks at my park that we have four, and there have been times where three were out of service for technical issues.

It's entirely possible that a majority of their equipment was out of service at once, or that they'd had a lot of parking CMs call sick for the same shift, or any combination thereof.

MK has the unique issue of having two different tram routes to staff, as well. If we have a full lot at, say, Epcot and only one tram running, it could still theoretically service every single lot (if they have cast to manage it). That's not so at MK, so if both sides are being parked simultaneously, they need to run separate trams to both sides.

I really sincerely doubt there's any vast conspiracy at work here. They're in the process of upgrading all the parking tram equipment, which would be a wasteful move if they planned to reduce or eliminate the service.

You'll be walking miles in the theme park once you reach it, so what's another half a mile?

It may be the trams are down temporarily for maintenance or something.

I agree with your first point. Another half mile won't even be noticed by the end of the day. But your second point I can't agree with. I am sure that WDW has lots of extra trams especially the "locomotive" car. There can't be so many of them down that they would have to cancel tram service. They are not like the monorail, which there are a limited number and when one goes down the entire unit goes down. I have not read the entire thread but it will be interesting to see what caused this.

Maybe they figured by the time they made a sign and put it up the problem would be solved???
Assumptions - everyone in the thread is making them, including you. But I do agree that this was probably a one off and there is no way that I would have allowed it to upset me.

I agree with your first point. Another half mile won't even be noticed by the end of the day. But your second point I can't agree with. I am sure that WDW has lots of extra trams especially the "locomotive" car. There can't be so many of them down that they would have to cancel tram service. They are not like the monorail, which there are a limited number and when one goes down the entire unit goes down. I have not read the entire thread but it will be interesting to see what caused this.

From what I can find they own a total of 28 trams for the 4 parks. I'm more curious as to how long tram service was down. The OP didn't hang out for hours. They saw one small moment in time. I would think if they were down all day we would have seen more than one post about it.

Does anyone know where they are stored when they are not in use?

I just noticed the OP saw trams running. I wonder where they were running to? A different part of the lot? Their assumption that it is a cost saving measure makes me want to discredit their whole post. That is a huge conclusion to draw out of one moment in time.

This would have been a problem for me. I have a bad left leg.. it's not enough to warrant a wheel chair or scooter but, that extra walking adds up for me.
A WDW vacation is possible for me but, does push my limits. What seems like no big deal to some is actually sort of a big deal to others.

Not everyone is super healthy and those who would have an issue with this aren't just lazy and complainers. It sure feels there's a real lack of empathy or understanding from some. Walk a mile in another's shoes before you instantly jump on the Disney pedestal.

Is there any point where some of you wouldn't defend Disney? I'm really curious because it sure seems like there never comes a point for some of you where Disney isn't always in the right. It's always the person with the complaint who seems to be the problem for some of you.. never the multi billion dollar business that is charging a fortune to visit their parks. I'm sorry but, sometimes these complaints are actually legitimate and yes, even Disney is imperfect!

If WDW were free and was just there out of the goodness of their heart to share the magic, I would understand the thinking some of you have but, when guests pay big bucks to enjoy their parks, I think sometimes it is perfectly ok to have some expectations. This one is not a frivolous complaint.. it's a good example of a legit issue!

Read the CM post a couple above yours. AK has 4 trams and they HAVE had situations where 3 have been down at one time. Now, that is AK. No idea how many MK has, but if they have a large enough percentage out, then it can impact the whole schedule. Does Disney have back ups? I am sure they do, but who knows how many backups they have (would be stupid if they keep too many on hand not being used yet still have to maintain them) or if they were already in service somewhere else.

And in the OP's post they do say that there were SOME running, just to lots further out then they were at. "There were trams running, but they were not servicing Hook or anywhere nearby." It would make sense that if Disney was short for whatever reason that they would prioritize the lots at the VERY far edges and use what they had as far as they could.

Now, I am NOT saying this is what happened OR that Disney was 100% in the right. There are some safety issues that should have been taken care of by them. I am only saying that the idea that this HAS to be a cost cutting measure is a reach. There could be other reasons that we have no control over or knowledge of. I just think people shouldn't freak out "OMG Disney is cutting stuff again!!!!" without at least some more information.

People are glossing over the part of the OP's story where, as a regular visitor to the park, they have observed CMs directing people to walk instead of waiting for trams on recent visits.

We have been to WDW 5 years in a row and have never observed this once. This CM behavior makes it seems as if they are trying to condition people to not use trams and walk instead. It would be nice to hear from other recent visitors if this is something they have observed regularly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter