Tropicana or Grand Legacy

Mynamewastaken

DIS Veteran
Tropicana 650.00 king room (4 night) or Grand Legacy Premier Room (850.00 4 nights). Torn......
Grand Legacy is newer with rooftop bar and free breakfast but doesn't he great reviews on yelp. Tropicana has good reviews but not newer. I think both are only a few steps from the maingate. These two are the only ones I am choosing from/

In don't consider "grand legacy" (I'm sorry, it was the ramada before and we had a junky stay there and the name is just weird to me) to be *that* close.

I'd go with Tropicana.

Tropicana is, as I recall, closer and I have stayed there more than once and been very happy. It's a basic motel but it was clean and the staff was friendly.

While we are regulars at Grand Legacy and love all our stays , the price difference would have me at Tropicana even though I've never stayed personally.

Don't mistake Grand for being newer , only sone rooms and the added suites are truly newer , the building itself was the "Ramada Maingate at the Park". We've stayed in several rooms under the old and new name with wonderful stays but again for the price I'd go Tropicana. Breakfast is negligible as it's just continental really and there's plenty of options nearby.

I was debating those two for our trip this past Feb. I had booked the Grand after asking here for reviews and found a couple of ppl who had just stayed there and said it was fine and close to the entrance. then I found the Tropicana for around the same price and changed it to there since it was a few steps closer ;) Both are close but for the price I would go with the Tropicana - I have a couple of photos of the room in my review (link in my signature). It was clean, staff was friendly, DD and I felt perfectly comfortable returning to our room at night.

I love Tropicana - if you can go for 5 nights, it would be the same price since you then get 20% off or the 5th night free or something.

The rooms are roomy and have fridges and microwaves. I like the convenience of the store (it's expensive though) and the proximity to Pizza Press. And of course love that it takes maybe 5 mins to get to Security.

$200 is nothing to sneeze at. That's a nice chunk of change to spend in the parks or to save for a future trip. If you're not planning on spending lots of time in the room, I'd go with the Tropicana.

Thanks everyone. I think I will try Tropicana :)

I stayed at Tropicana for my first time in December. Honestly, it's close, it's clean, the beds are comfortable, and they have a mini-mart on-site. It's only 1 motel away from the pedestrian walkway. I felt like my room was a little "dark", but I was on the first floor, and that's not an uncommon feeling. Everything was in good repair. I paid about $120/night, which is $20-30 cheaper than my standby Park Vue.

You said you'd save $200 staying at Tropicana.... Other ways to look at that:

... Dinner for 4+ at Blue Bayou.
... 40 churros or Dole Whips or Mickey Pretzels.
... 4-6 Disneyland sweatshirts.
... 20 meals at The Little Red Wagon (corndog meals).
... a round-trip ticket from PDX to LGB and back on Jet Blue (with some change left over!).
... another night at the hotel, along with adding another day on to your trip if you wanted (of course, this doesn't factor in airline charges or a 5-day park ticket limit, but you get the point).
... 2 guided tours like A Walk In Walt's Footsteps.
... 6 cell phone cases.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea already. I mean, I understand people paying more to stay elsewhere, because it holds some value to them. But, for me? For me, Dole Whips hold value, and if I could save enough to buy 40 Dole Whips, I'll gladly stay a motel down from my normal one! ;)

Such a good way to look at it !!

On our upcoming trip Friday June 30th to July 4th I actually found a better rate at HOJO with an AP discount than any other walkable hotel by $70-$120 less, that's huge! I'm all for loyalty if I like somewhere but cost is important too for what value is received.

We just got back from out 1st Disneyland trip on Saturday and stayed at the Tropicana. I agree it was a basic motel and was clean! I was actually surprised at how big the room was....especially after staying Value at Pop Century at Disney World. I would choose Tropicana again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter