Tropical Storm Gustav Heading our way!!Update Trop. Storm 8

We are also going on the 5th woohooo..

When is the storm supposed to hit landfall?

Too early to say, as it depends on where it ends up. The furthest out the forecast goes has it in the SE Gulf of Mexico by Sunday morning. Where it goes from there, who knows? It is really so far out anyway, the track could easily change.

Safe to say though, anyone from Texas all the way over to Florida needs to keep an eye on this one.

It would be in orlando (current predictions via the weather channel) on the 4th or 5th. BUT the predicted path this morning showed it turning into the gulf after hitting the keys, sooooo it may not go to Orlando at all - good for us but bad for the folks on the gulf coast.
Minnesota

The remnants of Fay is just leaving our area today, but she left a good number of tornados and storm damage. Not looking forward to another so soon - doesn't really give us a lot of time to repair and prepare for Gustav.

We are traveling to DW next week and planning to leave on Thursday but, it may become necessary to leave a day earlier to stay ahead of the weather depending on where the storm goes.

My prayers go out to any region that the storm will impact. All of us who live in the Gulf Coast are fully aware of the dangers that occur from living in one of the best location in the US just as the others that live in areas prone to tornados and earthquakes. I personally would rather have wind and rain than feel the earth move under my feet both events cause considerable damage and heartbreak.

I pray for safe travel for all!

And to brighten everyones day - Have some Disney Magic! pixiedust:

Prayers for anyone who will have to deal with this storm.....May God keep their families safe. May we all have the strength and wisdom to come to their aid when the storm has past. :hug:

As a person who lost my entire house, belongings and community to 13 feet of water from Hurricane Katrina I do not want to see Gustav head into the New Orleans area. Here when anyone hears a Hurricane has just been formed and may head into the Gulf it really puts everyone on edge.

We leave tomorrow Wed Aug 27 for Disney:cool1: . My son :cool2: is playing baseball at Wide World of Sports. Which is really cool. They will be playing at least one game at the large stadium. Games start Friday morning.

I need to be prepared ibefore I leave home in the event that we come home on Monday to the possiblity that this storm is heading for us.

We recently moved into a new house and are now located 44 feet about sea level and would not flood.

I do not wish a hurricane on anyone and hope it just fizzles out and does not hit anyone.

We are leaving for a long weekend trip on Fri (not Disney) we are preparing the houses and yards before we leave. If the hurricane is knocking on our door Tuesday, we won't have to return to get the houses ready.

Fighting the traffic during and evac is miserable, so we will be ahead of the game.

I hope we are worried for nothing, and the hurricane fizzels out. Although that would be a miracle at this point, but I do believe in miracles.

I think those who are vacationing in Central FL don't have to worry about this storm. However, for us living in South Louisiana, unfortunately it looks like we have a lot to worry about.

I think those who are vacationing in Central FL don't have to worry about this storm. However, for us living in South Louisiana, unfortunately it looks like we have a lot to worry about.

I just saw the afternoon projections and it's looking more and more like LA may get hit by a strong storm. My heart wants to believe that this thing could fizzle out but my head is telling me to start getting prepared.

I think the main reason everyone is referring to Katrina is because of the huge disaster it turned into when thousands of people stayed rather than evacuating. Yes, the loss from the levy's breaking and and flooding were catrostrophic, but the loss of life and horrible conditions that occured at the Superdome is what everyone saw on the news. The 500 yr. flood that happened last year in like 7 states in the midwest, is very comparable if not surpasses the flooding in NO. Levy's broke all the way down the Mississippi River and billions of dollars were lost from the floods.

My brother had friends and co-workers that lived in the on the outskirts of the lower 9th ward and they lost everything, but even he (the co-worker) says that no one thought anything of the hurricane coming and the proper precautions were overlooked. I know there's only so much you can do when a levy is breached and if its gonna flood, its gonna flood but if anything good came outta Katrina it is that it made people aware of just what these storms can do. God forbid another 3+ Catergory storm devistate an area but hopefully, people will use the transportation supplied to get outta town and not risk their lives for their belongings. Unfortunately, for some people their home is all they have and I understand that but please don't risk death and disease to try and stay behind and save something Mother Nature will ultimately win.

Try and stay dry people.

We always evacuate for Cat 2s and above, (when we lived on the levy we evacuated for every named storm) but it is very easy for us to evacuate. We have family members all over the state and have no pets. We don't have to rely on hotel availability or shelter for our pets. For many evacuation is not that easy, hotels become full fast and charge max rates and many don't take pets.

Lots of people here spend big bucks on generators and bunker down for storms, thinking that they are prepared, not us, we close the storm shutters, board and brace the doors, pick up the lawn furniture and the garbage cans, gas up and get out of dodge. Even if the storm doesn't obliterate my house, the whole town will be without power and water for days, I'd much rather be somewhere else than at my house eating potted meat and vienna sausages in the dark sweating my butt off. Thats just me.

isgustavtheoneep8.gif

Best wishes and prayers to everyone on the gulf...I think the people in New Orleans, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida are safe, but...it looks like this thing could slam right into Houston, possibly as a category 3, 4 or maybe a 5! :scared:

Keep watching the storm, everyone on the coast of Texas and Western Louisiana, and please evacuate if told!

We always evacuate for Cat 2s and above, (when we lived on the levy we evacuated for every named storm) but it is very easy for us to evacuate. We have family members all over the state and have no pets. We don't have to rely on hotel availability or shelter for our pets. For many evacuation is not that easy, hotels become full fast and charge max rates and many don't take pets.

Lots of people here spend big bucks on generators and bunker down for storms, thinking that they are prepared, not us, we close the storm shutters, board and brace the doors, pick up the lawn furniture and the garbage cans, gas up and get out of dodge. Even if the storm doesn't obliterate my house, the whole town will be without power and water for days, I'd much rather be somewhere else than at my house eating potted meat and vienna sausages in the dark sweating my butt off. Thats just me.

Heehee. I'm with you girl. We live in Covington and I JUST emailed my hubby and asked if I should make a hotel ressie somewhere just in case? I will not sweat it out with a 5 year old. All of our family is in VA, so we will head in that direction, but I am SOOOO not looking forward to this, what should be, nice 3 day weekend :(

I live in south Louisiana and leave for Disney in the morning. I pray that we have a sunny vacation and return home to sunny weather. I hope and pray that this thing just goes away.

My thoughts and prayers to those on the gulf side. It looks to be a powerful storm. Not one to take lightly. If it was headed this way I would have the kids evacuate the state with my father- anything Cat 2 or above has always been our plan. For dh and I we have to stay and work since he is in the FD and Im a nurse. This time of year is always so uncertain for us that we do not plan any trips esp. during the month of sept. because of it. I guess thats what comes along with living in Fla. You take the good and the bad. God bless and Be safe!

I'm in N.O. - not looking forward to watching this hurricane track all weekend.

Unfortunately, we all know once it gets in the Gulf, it's going to hit someone. And we will leave if above Cat 2 - just like we did with Katrina.

Just praying it doesn't gain strength or size, and where ever it lands that everyone is safe.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed this does not turn out to be as bad as they say! I feel bad for anyone in it's path. Just when we were getting relief at the pumps the words gulf and hurricane in the same sentence reck havoc on prices. Gas here jumped 19 cents from this morning to tonight. Tell me that;s not crazy!

We live in Baton Rouge, a good ways from the coast. After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, we vowed not stay at our home again during a storm. We had large pine and oak trees go down all around us, with one hitting our house. It was very scary experience. We will head north if it even looks to come our way this time. Watching the news, praying it will die out. Good luck to all along the coast. Leaving for WDW on Sept. 6th!

b810434c.gif
Its getting nasty out there... I will be there in a few days so I am starting to get a bit on edge.

That's all the reasons I gave for not cancelling my vacation. Somone told me what about a bumpy airplane ride? Well, that's two hours compared to days of no electricity and/or days of a cramped hurricane shelter. My house is pretty safe but I worry about the electricity part because I don't have a generator and I'm scared to use one.

Well that's scary :scared1: From what I've read on some weather sites, the GFDL is usually (not always of course) the most accurate. That puts it in the Gulf, which would be really bad news.

Why is these models different than the ones on wunderground.com? It's the same models by names. I sure hope that you are wrong about that one being the most accurate. We don't need another direct hit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter