• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip planned for the fall and worried about the school situation

thr33boys

DIS Veteran
I am going to preface this thread with a caution that this is not intended to be a debate on sides. I am not looking for arguments in support or against teachers or the union or the gov't. I am just simply wondering if anyone else is worried like I am.

We have 3 kids who attend an Ontario public elementary school. We have a trip planned in November and will be pulling our kids out of school for 7 school days. We booked this trip a few months ago. Our oldest son will be in grade 6 and will probably be the last trip that I'd feel ok pulling him our of school for. For our past trips, we've always asked for homework ahead of time and have had it done before we leave. We'll do the same for this trip.

However, I'm fairly worried that school will not start on time in September and very concerned how long a strike might last. I know I have no control over it and it may not even happen (fingers crossed) but I am beginning to think this trip is a bad idea. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Hi,

I am taking my daughter out of school (grade 8) for 11 days to go to WDW in November. I guess I'm a little concerned, but we are going no matter what so we'll just hope for the best.

I would go on your trip and have a blast!

No, I'm not worried. DD just finished grade 9, DS grade 3. I've never had any issues with my kids missing school for trips (DD missed over 2 weeks of grade 9 to go to Thailand). Teachers are generally pretty supportive as well. A potential strike does complicate things a little but I'm not changing my plans because of it.

Thanks, we're not changing our plans either and my kids do very well in school so I'm not concerned with them having to catch up. I guess that I'm just looking for reassurances to ease my guilt.

We were in your shoes this time last year. BC public school teachers went on strike at the beginning of June 2014. in July we booked a trip to Cancun for November, thinking the strike would be over before school started in September. School didn't start until the 3rd week of September. We took the trip in November anyway. No harm, no foul - we had a blast and it was all good. I say don't worry about it, honestly.

I have pulled my kids out the last 2 Septembers for a week with no issues. This coming September I booked the trip around a PA Day so it's one less day missed ;). However we are now looking at moving and I'm a little worried that missing a week in a new school could be an issue :-/ Its tough, going to Disney during school breaks just isn't an option for us.

I am also in Ontario and have a trip planned for October. My kids will miss 10 school days. Yikes! I have never taken them out that long before. I am also concerned about them missing too much time if a teacher strike does happen. My oldest is in grade 8. This was to be our last big bang and have a big trip before he starts high school. We will still go but I am worried about it.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're comfortable taking your kids out of school for a trip, do it. Your kids are not going to be any more behind then the other students that missed school as a result of a strike. They're really only going to miss the days you were planning to pull them out anyways.

we are in Manitoba and we have taken the kids out a few times as normal school breaks are not usually an option for us.

I am also in Ontario and have a trip planned for October. My kids will miss 10 school days. Yikes! I have never taken them out that long before. I am also concerned about them missing too much time if a teacher strike does happen. My oldest is in grade 8. This was to be our last big bang and have a big trip before he starts high school. We will still go but I am worried about it.

We're lucky that one of the days is a pd day or it would be 8 days. I sure hope things are settled ahead of time. While I don't mind taking my kids out for a family vacation, I don't want to make a short school year any shorter.

:welcome: to the boards!

Well here are two facts.
1) School well start on time.
2) Teachers will strike (or have some sort of work action)
3) You will have a great time, enjoy your vacation!!:)

We were in your shoes this time last year. BC public school teachers went on strike at the beginning of June 2014. in July we booked a trip to Cancun for November, thinking the strike would be over before school started in September. School didn't start until the 3rd week of September. We took the trip in November anyway. No harm, no foul - we had a blast and it was all good. I say don't worry about it, honestly.

Same with us. We are also from BC and the kids started about 3 weeks late. We took our kids out in November for a week to go to Disneyland and then again in May to got to Aulani for another week. My boys are in kindergarten and grade 6 and i don't regret it one bit. My husband can't travel during school breaks because that is his busiest time of year at work so we have to take them out during the school year. Every year our teachers have been fine with it, and the boys have just caught up with what the missed when they have gotten back.

I took my two youngest on the fifteen day Disney cruise to Copenhagen in May and we spent a week in the UK afterwards. One is in grade eight and the other grade five. Neither had issues with their schools. Apparently, parents are fined in the UK. Yikes. Neither girl really missed all that much and what they gained was priceless. Maybe Canadian schools are just more accepting of this kind of thing or we were just lucky.

I am actually thinking of planning a vacation in September - to hopefully coincide with a (potential) strike. I figure there is no sense in hanging around here if we can get away. Now to try to figure out which week in September to go! Have a good trip in November!

I am actually thinking of planning a vacation in September - to hopefully coincide with a (potential) strike. I figure there is no sense in hanging around here if we can get away. Now to try to figure out which week in September to go! Have a good trip in November!

I would have loved to book something to coincide with the start of the school year and wouldn't have minded them missing anything as it's only review anyways but my guys do not do well in the heat and there was nothing I could say to convince them. They'd rather be in a classroom :confused3

If your kids are good students then don't worry about it. It's only a few days of school and your kids are young. It really only becomes an issue when they get to high school.

Yes! I 100 % support this. After our strike was over last year i remember thinking that i wished we had gone away instead of hanging around just waiting for the strike to be over. Plus September is off season so it is way more affordable!!!

I wouldn't worry about it. They can catch up. I will probably always take my kids out for holidays. The last 3 years we have gone for two week holidays and they have missed 5-10 days each time. They have had no problems catching up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter