• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip Insurance

TheBigErn

DIS Veteran
Although I’ve never purchased trip insurance before, seems like a good idea for our cruise in November. My concern is a positive test at the terminal. My understanding is that DCL will refund the cost of the cruise. That being said, do you include the cruise cost in getting the insurance quote?

We always purchase cancel for any reason insurance. We pick a plan that covers medical and emergency evacuation coverage as well. Some will cover pre-existing conditions if purchased within a certain time frame. We also cruise during hurricane season so it covers cancellation and/or change of ports of call due to that as well. When we get a quote we go to the one of the major websites that allow you to compare policies to insure your trip. We enter our dates, destination and total trip cost and then it lists our options to compare coverage. We include airfare and any pre/post cruise hotel rooms and excursions that we purchase outside of the cruise line. At this time it appears that if you test positive at the port you will be given a letter for refund or FCC to rebook on a later cruise. How long this will continue is anyone's guess. I have found it to be pretty cheap (around $200) for coverage for 2 adults and this way I know I'm covered come what may.

We always purchase cancel for any reason insurance. We pick a plan that covers medical and emergency evacuation coverage as well. Some will cover pre-existing conditions if purchased within a certain time frame. We also cruise during hurricane season so it covers cancellation and/or change of ports of call due to that as well. When we get a quote we go to the one of the major websites that allow you to compare policies to insure your trip. We enter our dates, destination and total trip cost and then it lists our options to compare coverage. We include airfare and any pre/post cruise hotel rooms and excursions that we purchase outside of the cruise line. At this time it appears that if you test positive at the port you will be given a letter for refund or FCC to rebook on a later cruise. How long this will continue is anyone's guess. I have found it to be pretty cheap (around $200) for coverage for 2 adults and this way I know I'm covered come what may.
Ok but my question is would you include the cost of the cruise in getting a quote in light of the fact DCL will refund that cost regardless of insurance?

Ok but my question is would you include the cost of the cruise in getting a quote in light of the fact DCL will refund that cost regardless of insurance?
I would as you don't know what the policy will be on refunds by November. I also do the cancel for any reason, medical and weather conditions. I have had to use it once and it saved my trip. I used to go through Disney but it seemed that they changed coverage and pricing so I searched and found a policy on my own. I also don't book my air through Disney because I am a Southwest person so if I want that covered I have to get my own insurance.

For Nov cruise the standard cancelation fees apply after Sep 22. If you are not concerned with that, you could leave out the cost of the cruise. Disney also provides transportation if you test positive at the port. If you are not risk adverse at all to things outside of COVID, you probably do not need trip insurance.

For Nov cruise the standard cancelation fees apply after Sep 22. If you are not concerned with that, you could leave out the cost of the cruise. Disney also provides transportation if you test positive at the port. If you are not risk adverse at all to things outside of COVID, you probably do not need trip insurance.
So maybe the play is to wait until after September 22 to purchase insurance depending on the DCL refund policy

Yes we include the cruise fare as I want it covered for more reasons than positive Covid at the port and since DCL has been changing things frequently and with very little notice in some instances. It's peace of mind for us.

Yes we include the cruise fare as I want it covered for more reasons than positive Covid at the port and since DCL has been changing things frequently and with very little notice in some instances. It's peace of mind for us.
I see your point but my only concern is the covid test fail. We’re all vaccinated but we now see that isn’t a guarantee

Trip insurance will cover costs beyond cancellation due to COVID — for example, you could have other medical issues that prevent travel, or you could be affected by storms that disrupt your ability to leave home but don’t cancel the cruise. All trip insurance sites I have used do ask for the total cost of the cruise before providing quote. I am not sure how much the cost affects the amount of the quote.

You can put $0 (as if you were paying with point or miles or gifted the cruise) for the cost of the cruise but I don’t know what the benefit of that is to you if you’re buying the insurance anyway. Maybe price it out both ways? I don’t think it will be much more expensive to include the cost of the cruise

Although I’ve never purchased trip insurance before, seems like a good idea for our cruise in November. My concern is a positive test at the terminal. My understanding is that DCL will refund the cost of the cruise. That being said, do you include the cruise cost in getting the insurance quote?
I am cruising NCL at the end of this month. I never buy insurance but I did this time. Not to cover the price of my cruise, but to cover the price of medical care and evacuation. I don’t want to get stuck in Belize with Covid.

Does anyone have an answer to the original question? I really don't care about reasons to have trip insurance. My only question is getting a price quote and to include or not include the cost of the cruise since DCL will likely refund that money.

You can put $0 (as if you were paying with point or miles or gifted the cruise) for the cost of the cruise but I don’t know what the benefit of that is to you if you’re buying the insurance anyway. Maybe price it out both ways? I don’t think it will be much more expensive to include the cost of the cruise
Thanks for the answer to my question. Appreciated.

Does anyone have an answer to the original question? I really don't care about reasons to have trip insurance. My only question is getting a price quote and to include or not include the cost of the cruise since DCL will likely refund that money.

You should call the insurance company. By excluding a portion of the trip the insurance may have some hidden language that all aspects of the trip must be covered.

For me I would absolutely always cover it. If you compare the price it's probably $50 more or something. It's just worth peace of mind having everything covered.

Remember Disney is constantly changing their policy. What happens if during your trip they start testing at each port stop and you are quarantined the remainder of the trip? Insurance can make up some of that difference back to you beyond just 100% of missed portion.

Just curious. I have tried getting quotes, but when anyone of the sites ask for destinations, there is only room for one. On a cruise you may have several destinations from Mexico to the Bahamas. Just unclear how to get accurate information entered.

Just curious. I have tried getting quotes, but when anyone of the sites ask for destinations, there is only room for one. On a cruise you may have several destinations from Mexico to the Bahamas. Just unclear how to get accurate information entered.
I just pick the port where we will spend the most time — for example, if the ship visits Cozumel, Nassau, and Castaway Cay, I’d say Bahamas. If it also visits another port in Mexico, you could say either Mexico or Bahamas. The insurance sites know that cruises typically go to multiple countries, so they will price accordingly no matter what you list.

I just pick the port where we will spend the most time — for example, if the ship visits Cozumel, Nassau, and Castaway Cay, I’d say Bahamas. If it also visits another port in Mexico, you could say either Mexico or Bahamas. The insurance sites know that cruises typically go to multiple countries, so they will price accordingly no matter what you list.
yeah, ours is a 5 night with Nassau and 2 stops at CC so I've just entered Bahamas.

Generally, you just enter the first country you're visiting. At least that's what we've always been told to do when I asked directly.

I am cruising NCL at the end of this month. I never buy insurance but I did this time. Not to cover the price of my cruise, but to cover the price of medical care and evacuation. I don’t want to get stuck in Belize with Covid.
People need to make sure the travel policy meets their needs. Some people underestimate what their existing policies, credit card travel supplier etc cover. Others overestimate what travel insurance covers.

Travel insurance covers whats listed.

Travel Insurance generally only covers medical evacuation if medically necessary and only to the closest appropriate facility.
https://medjetassist.com/ is probably the kind of coverage you're looking for.

People need to make sure the travel policy meets their needs. Some people underestimate what their existing policies, credit card travel supplier etc cover. Others overestimate what travel insurance covers.

Travel insurance covers whats listed.

Travel Insurance generally only covers medical evacuation if medically necessary and only to the closest appropriate facility.
https://medjetassist.com/ is probably the kind of coverage you're looking for.
i paid extra for evacuation to the hospital if my choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter