• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip Insurance

TheBigErn

DIS Veteran
For those who have purchased it or priced it, what does it cost? I’m specifically asking about insurance for Disney cruises including flights, ground transportation and hotel night before the cruise.

For those who have purchased it or priced it, what does it cost? I’m specifically asking about insurance for Disney cruises including flights, ground transportation and hotel night before the cruise.
If you want all of that covered, then you need to either buy insurance independently of Disney, or if you want to buy insurance via DCL, then you'd need to also book those flights, ground transport & hotel via DCL.

The cost is different for every cruise & you have to price it out yourself. Insurance via DCL typically costs more than non-DCL insurance, and its cancel for any reason coverage only gives you cruise credit instead of cash back. Its covered cause coverage does give cash back, though.

I’m asking about insurance purchased from a third party. Not Disney. I’m sure those who have bought it or priced it can say what their situation cost

I checked it was $303 covered full trip, hurricane protection, covid protection, and car rental add-on ($35k coverage).

I added on the Car Rental simply for simplicity if its needed since I will be leaving my car rental at the hotel instead of returning it.

Wow, trip insurance had gone up. I have only bought it twice. I don't have my paperwork any more for my Disney cruise, but that was too long ago to be comparable anyway. Our Celebrity Cruise in October 2019 for full coverage for the cruise, flights and medical was $25 a person, but that was a few months before anyone had heard of covid-19. I just remember reading that travel insurance is one of the most profitable policies sold by insurance companies since claims are so rare. That may have changed with covid.

$25 a person

Was that Dr. Nick coverage?

Never in my life heard of insurance cost that low for a trip.

Went backed and looked Dec 19 cruise I shopped around only covering cruise was $120 and would have been less than Disney. Additonally didn't include hurricane or pandemic coverage (covid19).

You can get cheaper insurance still it's just worthless since it doesn't cover the most likely things to happen. In 2019 we were all naive to that.

Last edited:
Our Celebrity Cruise in October 2019 for full coverage for the cruise, flights and medical was $25 a person
What?! Only if you have access to special rates that aren't general public rates. We've never had insurance coverage that low, even for our first cruise 10 years ago.

We paid $206 for cancel for any reason insurance for 2 adults. Rep said they treat Covid like any other illness so no exclusions. Bought within 2 weeks of initial deposit so pre existing conditions waived.

What?! Only if you have access to special rates that aren't general public rates. We've never had insurance coverage that low, even for our first cruise 10 years ago.
Well, it WAS an off season (mid-October) Pacific Coast cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles. I believe Vancouver's last ship was a few days later before they close up for the season until May. $600 per person for a 7 day cruise with a balcony cabin. So they may have reduced the insurance rate too. I threw out my documents from my 2003 Disney cruise, which was the only other time time we bought travel insurance. That was too long ago to be comparable, but I don't think it was over $200 for 4 of us for a trip that cost $9,000 with air fare.

Was that Dr. Nick coverage?

Never in my life heard of insurance cost that low for a trip.

Went backed and looked Dec 19 cruise I shopped around only covering cruise was $120 and would have been less than Disney. Additonally didn't include hurricane or pandemic coverage (covid19).

You can get cheaper insurance still it's just worthless since it doesn't cover the most likely things to happen. In 2019 we were all naive to that.
I have no idea what Dr. Nick is. This was the top option coverage Celebrity sells, and it was supposed to cover everything since I also bought the air fare through them. I will have to rethink travel insurance next year when I go on Medicare next year. Our employer insurance always covered out of the country medical care and medivac evacuations because we do have news crews travel outside the country and as the insurance rep explained "hospital costs are lower in most places outside the U.S. so it costs us LESS if you get sick outside the U.S."

I have no idea what Dr. Nick is. This was the top option coverage Celebrity sells, and it was supposed to cover everything since I also bought the air fare through them. I will have to rethink travel insurance next year when I go on Medicare next year. Our employer insurance always covered out of the country medical care and medivac evacuations because we do have news crews travel outside the country and as the insurance rep explained "hospital costs are lower in most places outside the U.S. so it costs us LESS if you get sick outside the U.S."
The Dr. Nick reference is to a sketchy doctor in The Simpsons.

We paid $206 for cancel for any reason insurance for 2 adults. Rep said they treat Covid like any other illness so no exclusions. Bought within 2 weeks of initial deposit so pre existing conditions waived.
Our Dream/WDW/FantasyB2B in 2014 we insured for $220 for 2 of us. Basic travel/medical/evacuation coverage.

In 2018 our trip to China was $1,181 for two of us.

Ages of covered persons, as well as location of trip factor into costs.

I buy an annual plan for 2 people and pay about $240 a year. Decided this was a better deal in long run than buying insurance for every cruise when we were sometimes doing more than one a year. Also keeping it in effect ensures our pre-existing medical conditions are covered. otherwise insurance has a to be bought usually within a short number of days from when the first cruise payments is made.

There are many factors that go into the pricing of travel insurance. Age, coverage type (medical, cancel for any reason, medical evacuation etc.) cost of the trip and dollar amount of each coverage you are getting.

I buy an annual plan for 2 people and pay about $240 a year. Decided this was a better deal in long run than buying insurance for every cruise when we were sometimes doing more than one a year. Also keeping it in effect ensures our pre-existing medical conditions are covered. otherwise insurance has a to be bought usually within a short number of days from when the first cruise payments is made.
There are some companies that will waive pre-existing conditions up until the final payment date. Most of those have a 60 or 90 day look back period.

insuremytrip.com is another well-vetted site to compare travel insurance policies. Location of your trip, number of days, age of the insured parties all plays a part in the cost. If you have USAA as your insurance carrier for anything they also sell travel insurance at a discount through a third party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter