• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can only imagine the scenarios that Guest Services and Legal might have to deal with, regardless of whether insurance is purchased or waivers are signed upon room reservation (hopefully none of these happen, but still)....

1. Dog bites housekeepers when they enter the room
2. Dog bites other dog
3. Dog bites other human
4. Dog escapes when housekeeping enters, then bites other dog or human
5. Dog escapes and then gets into an accident
6. Someone slips on dog poop that wasn't cleaned up and hurts themselves
etc etc etc...

The biggest part of this I question is being able to leave the dog alone for 7 hours in the room... Anyone that is involved with canine welfare knows that 7 hours is too long to be left alone in a small space. People do leave their dogs kenneled at home (or free to roam at home inside) for that long, I realize, but that doesn't make it right, and I can't imagine a dog being in a strange place with people potentially knocking on the windows/peeking in for seven hours. I don't think I'd mind this change so much if it was mandated that the dog not be left alone period.
And I wonder how many times owners will forget to put the doggie do not disturb on their door & mousekeeping walks in & accidently lets the dogs run out of the room to be lost or to run out in traffic. So many areas of concern....

I personally don't think it's going to take off, so it's probably not worth worrying about in the long run. It's a pretty big cleaning fee each day on top of any other travel costs it takes to get the dog to WDW. I think Ft. Wilderness is the resort where they should have tested this first, and then tried others after a complete success in the initial trial period.

Thanks! Do they need to be in crates or could I potentially be seated next to or in front of a dog?

You were probably posting when I responded above :)
The dogs need to be in a carrier.
But if there is an allergy conflict, the allergy party needs to wait for the next bus. (Supposedly...)

Thanks! Do they need to be in crates or could I potentially be seated next to or in front of a dog?
A crate or carrier is required for the dog to be contained. Disney is saying that any pax not wanting to be on a bus with a dog will need to wait for another bus.

Hopefully Disney will spray lots of toxic chemicals in the rooms as a precaution against fleas after a doggy stay. Why has America gone "to the dogs"? I'll never understand this relatively new obsession. Grand dogs? My dog's smarter than your honor student bumper stickers?

I personally don't think it's going to take off, so it's probably not worth worrying about in the long run. It's a pretty big cleaning fee each day on top of any other travel costs it takes to get the dog to WDW. I think Ft. Wilderness is the resort where they should have tested this first, and then tried others after a complete success in the initial trial period.

Is it $50-$75 per pet or just one fee to have pets in the room? If it’s per booking & not per pet more ppl may use it as it’s similar t to the cost of boarding (at least in my area). It costs me $50/day to board both dogs. There’s still the hassle of getting them there. However, if it’s per pet that could be a deterrent for ppl.

:sad:
I just got off the phone with an agent. There will be no designated rooms at Port Orleans. All rooms are available to Pets. We are arriving in 15 days and there are no other rooms available. They did not even offer to move us or put us somewhere away from pet rooms. I was told that this was decided after hurricane Irma when all of the animals were staying due to evacuation. I expressed my displeasure that a decision like this could be made in less than three weeks and announced 48 hours before going into effect. Was told they believe that dogs would not start showing up this early, that it would be after the first of the year before the numbers came up. I told them they will be surprised.

I bothers me that a decision like this would be made so quickly and without any notice to make changes. My wife is mad and we will not be back to Port Orleans after this.
Even tough I am a year out, I now have to change resorts. I cannot stay in a room that has been occupied by a dog or multiple dogs. I am so sad I am sick. I researched hotels and not DH and I were thrilled to stay at POR. With luck, I can get a room at FQ near Riverside. Ugh, I don't like the FQ decor, the menu in the food court, or four story buildings...

Hopefully Disney will spray lots of toxic chemicals in the rooms as a precaution against fleas after a doggy stay. Why has America gone "to the dogs"? I'll never understand this relatively new obsession. Grand dogs? My dog's smarter than your honor student bumper stickers?
I don't know a thing about fleas. Is that something I can get/bring home without even owning a dog?

Very dismayed by this........ We just made a March trip to Yacht club earlier this week, only to find out about this today, and Disney could do nothing to accommodate us at another deluxe resort, all full. I'm traveling with a severe asthmatic. But the good news is the trial is only for certain room on the end of the resort, and Disney is placing us at the far opposite end, and the trial will be over after December.... so our worries have been dealt with but I hope this is not permanent.

Very dismayed by this........ We just made a March trip to Yacht club earlier this week, only to find out about this today, and Disney could do nothing to accommodate us at another deluxe resort, all full. I'm traveling with a severe asthmatic. But the good news is the trial is only for certain room on the end of the resort, and Disney is placing us at the far opposite end, and the trial will be over after December.... so our worries have been dealt with but I hope this is not permanent.

The trial is for ONE YEAR and several have been told that ALL rooms at the resorts are in play.

Regarding the Magical Express, dogs are already on airplanes. So you're probably flying with one too.

I don't think it's fair that they didn't give notice about this. But I also don't think that many people will take advantage of this. Maybe that's why they are giving it a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter