• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is such a bad idea on so many reasons except for maybe the cabins. People at Disney do not even clean up after themselves at quick service so yes there will be plenty that will not pick up after their dog. Also we all know many do not stay in designated smoking areas so some will take their dog to the nearest spot and let them potty. Housekeeping is not even doing a great job lately with human mess much less dog added to it. Dog on elevators, dog with fleas, dogs with flu. Fireworks every night.

Please if you are against this, email Disney.

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Dogs are going to a local boarding facility during our upcoming Disney trip from Nov. 1-10, and we have a person who will feed/water the cats and clean the litter box while we are gone. My Disney vacation is costing over $10k, and I don't want to have to worry about my dogs being in the room during the day by themselves (obviously not workable), or spend an extra $150 a night for the room cost at Yacht Club, plus the extra daycare cost during the day. I also don't want to have to walk my dogs during the evening/morning while I'm on vacation, or worry about them barking and disturbing other guests (one is a barker). This is a dumb Disney idea.

I'm all for it, I know go ahead and flame me. We have a little yorkie and she goes everywhere we go so we always stay in dog friendly hotels. I have never, not once been woken up in the middle of the night with a dog barking. I've been woken up with kids screaming, I've been woken up with couples fighting, I've been woken up with drunks in the hallway but never a dog barking. I have never seen dog poop on the grounds either, most dog owners are pretty good about scooping. Our dog is potty pad trained, which means she doesn't have to go outside to go to the bathroom, as a matter of fact she won't poop outside because she doesn't like anyone seeing her do it. As a matter of fact I'm going to my son's best friend's wedding next weekend in Jacksonville, my honey has to be out of town working that weekend so the dog has to come with me. She can't be boarded because she is very people dependent and won't eat if one of her people aren't around. Let's face it, most people who have pets and work outside the home leave those pets alone for at least 8 hours a day if not more so it's not really that different for the pet. I was at the Dolphin in Sept. and there was a couple there who were from the hurricane. Had two small dogs with them. The only way I knew those dogs were there was I saw her take them out one morning, I never heard a sound.
If they were constructing a new hotel that allowed pets that would be fine. But to change the existing resorts like this with so little notice is very unacceptable.
That’s actually what I wish they would have done.

I wonder how many people will actually bring their dogs with them, I'd imagine those who fly in wouldn't bring their animals and those who drive in to Disney who might bring their dogs some would and some wouldn't be willing to pay the price to bring their pet. Our dog, who passed in July, was a great traveler (he wouldn't bark if he wasn't in our yard or house, outside of our home he never made a sound!) we took him once on a spontaneous trip when we had a family emergency and had to leave our home quickly and after that I always wanted to take him on a fun vacation trip. I love the idea of taking him to Disney World, but I think in reality I would have probably boarded him at home with our vet for fear something would happen to him and we wouldn't be near a vet we trusted. So I really wonder if the amount of people who want to take an animal on vacation to Disney is a big percentage of visitors or not.

I get both sides of the coin, so we will see how it plays out at Disney World, since it's only in the test phase there are still lots of things that could happen or change.

It has been a rare occasion when I have arrived at a resort to find that my room was available for immediate occupancy. What happens when guests arrive with their dog(s), and their room is not available?

The Front Desk always says to feel free to go to the pool or parks, and they will text you when the room is available. In that instance, what about the dogs?

It has been a rare occasion when I have arrived at a resort to find that my room was available for immediate occupancy. What happens when guests arrive with their dog(s), and their room is not available?

The Front Desk always says to feel free to go to the pool or parks, and they will text you when the room is available. In that instance, what about the dogs?

Good point. If they allow dogs at resorts, why not allow them at the parks? This could be a slippery slope.

The biggest part of this I question is being able to leave the dog alone for 7 hours in the room... Anyone that is involved with canine welfare knows that 7 hours is too long to be left alone in a small space. People do leave their dogs kenneled at home (or free to roam at home inside) for that long, I realize, but that doesn't make it right, and I can't imagine a dog being in a strange place with people potentially knocking on the windows/peeking in for seven hours. I don't think I'd mind this change so much if it was mandated that the dog not be left alone period.

I just got off the phone with an agent. There will be no designated rooms at Port Orleans. All rooms are available to Pets. We are arriving in 15 days and there are no other rooms available. They did not even offer to move us or put us somewhere away from pet rooms. I was told that this was decided after hurricane Irma when all of the animals were staying due to evacuation. I expressed my displeasure that a decision like this could be made in less than three weeks and announced 48 hours before going into effect. Was told they believe that dogs would not start showing up this early, that it would be after the first of the year before the numbers came up. I told them they will be surprised.

I bothers me that a decision like this would be made so quickly and without any notice to make changes. My wife is mad and we will not be back to Port Orleans after this.

Nevermind - I see that someone has already posted the email they received from Disney regarding the dog policy change.

Last edited:
I'm kind of freaking out about this. We're first-timers. I'm booked at AoA LM in Marchand I was super excited about staying there. But, the idea of having my 3 year old around dogs I don't know in a strange place doesn't at all sound like a vacation. Now, I'm not anti dog (I'm a dog owner myself), so I don't want this to come across badly but it just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Gotta figure out what my options are I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter