TRex - going back and forth

lovemy2girls4eva

DIS Veteran
I have 3 kids - 7, 5 and 22 months (at the time of travel)

I never considered Trex since I never been to Disney Springs but a lot of my friends recommended it so I booked an ADR. I am going back and forth on it because I heard it can be loud and scary for my 22 month old and also heard the food is nothing special.

I will be on the Dining Plan so this will be eating 1 TS credit or I can pay OOP.

Just trying to see if I should keep or drop it.

That day I will be in HS doing lunch with Disney Jr characters and then was going to Disney Springs after. So maybe there are other choices?

so undecided.......

We are going this summer and my kids, 5 and 4 on our last trip, will be 7 and 6 this trip. My daughter (the younger) has requested this restaurant specifically for her birthday meal. That being said, the food is fine, but certainly nothing "special" as was described in your post. I am easy to please, so I like it well enough. As for the 22 month old, that's a tough question. There are some roaring beasts couched among the plants and tables and a sound and lighting meteor show every once and a while. If he/she is prone to fright, it could be an issue. no way for me to know without knowing your child.

T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe are owned by the same company, and Rainforest Cafe is a chain. They are very similar in terms of decor except one is obviously rainforest animals and the other is dinosaurs. Food quality is on par with any typical chain restaurant - think Applebee's or Friday's. Not horrible, but nothing special. We never dine at T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe because we have a Rainforest Cafe at home.

As far as it being loud, it can be. I guess it just depends on how your kids would react to that. If you decide not to eat there, there is a gift shop you can still visit and you could probably peak your head in the restaurant to see it.

Personally, I think there are better restaurant choices at Disney Springs, especially with all the new options there.

T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe are owned by the same company, and Rainforest Cafe is a chain. They are very similar in terms of decor except one is obviously rainforest animals and the other is dinosaurs. Food quality is on par with any typical chain restaurant - think Applebee's or Friday's. Not horrible, but nothing special. We never dine at T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe because we have a Rainforest Cafe at home.

As far as it being loud, it can be. I guess it just depends on how your kids would react to that. If you decide not to eat there, there is a gift shop you can still visit and you could probably peak your head in the restaurant to see it.

Personally, I think there are better restaurant choices at Disney Springs, especially with all the new options there.

hmm thanks maybe I will just go to the shop then...........can you recommend any good restaurants? I have never been to Disney Springs before. Thanks!!

hmm thanks maybe I will just go to the shop then...........can you recommend any good restaurants? I have never been to Disney Springs before. Thanks!!

There's tons of new ones that I haven't had the chance to visit, but I've heard rave reviews of Homecoming. Raglan Road always seems to get good reviews for food and they also have entertainment that the kids might enjoy. If you want something faster/easier, Wolfgang Puck Express is the best bang for your buck or quick service credit.

You say you will be at Hollywood Studios that day? Have you considered doing a lunch or even a late lunch/early dinner there? IMO, two of the best themed restaurants on property are there - Sci Fi Dine In and 50s Prime Time. I'd imagine both of those would be more interesting for kids, and the food is great too.

There's tons of new ones that I haven't had the chance to visit, but I've heard rave reviews of Homecoming. Raglan Road always seems to get good reviews for food and they also have entertainment that the kids might enjoy. If you want something faster/easier, Wolfgang Puck Express is the best bang for your buck or quick service credit.

You say you will be at Hollywood Studios that day? Have you considered doing a lunch or even a late lunch/early dinner there? IMO, two of the best themed restaurants on property are there - Sci Fi Dine In and 50s Prime Time. I'd imagine both of those would be more interesting for kids, and the food is great too.

we are doing lunch at Hollywood & Vine for the characters...stay at HS a bit and then head to Disney Springs for the evening. That's why we were thinking of grabbing dinner there.

TRex is always a must do for us. My son is now 16 but we still enjoy going. He has loved both TRex and Rainforest since he was little. Maybe you could request a table in the ice cave. It is a color changing room and I don't recall any dinosaurs being in it. My husband and I just get the nachos appetizer for two to share for our main course or one of the cobb salads to share. The portions are huge - even on the kids menu.

My son is 20 and he still loves going there. It's probably the only restaurant I can ever get him to help me plan. The only problem I'm having is finding an early enough reservation. The only one I've been able to find is 10 p.m. Nope. Not gonna go at that time of night..LOL!!

Whoa! No on the ice cave! For one that little especially. We got stuck in there for 2 hours! Extremely loud, meteor shower every 15 minutes, colors keeping changing, little dino's in there kept screaming. It was like a nightmare for us getting stuck in there. I might bring my kids back another time but will definitely not sit there ever again.

My son is 20 and he still loves going there. It's probably the only restaurant I can ever get him to help me plan. The only problem I'm having is finding an early enough reservation. The only one I've been able to find is 10 p.m. Nope. Not gonna go at that time of night..LOL!!

Call the restaurant directly. Since they are not operated by Disney, not all of their reservation availability is available through the Disney web site.

I never considered Trex since I never been to Disney Springs but a lot of my friends recommended it so I booked an ADR. I am going back and forth on it because I heard it can be loud and scary for my 22 month old and also heard the food is nothing special.

I will be on the Dining Plan so this will be eating 1 TS credit or I can pay OOP.

That day I will be in HS doing lunch with Disney Jr characters and then was going to Disney Springs after. So maybe there are other choices?

so undecided.......

Hi I just posted on another thread regarding this TREXX.... We went there for dinner with our then 3 year old daughter - and she was terrified of the whole scene. She was much happier with Disney Jr. characters at a meal,,,,

Hi I just posted on another thread regarding this TREXX.... We went there for dinner with our then 3 year old daughter - and she was terrified of the whole scene. She was much happier with Disney Jr. characters at a meal,,,,

thanks for your response. which part of the restaurant did you eat at?

I took my kids when they were 4, 4 and 7 - they all loved it. We are going back this year - grabbing an early lunch before we head for home. Can't wait! Added bonus it's not a buffet so we can sit back, eat and just watch the dinosaurs. :)

Whoa! No on the ice cave! For one that little especially. We got stuck in there for 2 hours! Extremely loud, meteor shower every 15 minutes, colors keeping changing, little dino's in there kept screaming. It was like a nightmare for us getting stuck in there. I might bring my kids back another time but will definitely not sit there ever again.

I'm with you on this one. We were sat there and asked to be moved.

thanks for your response. which part of the restaurant did you eat at?
Hi - I'm not sure of the specific name of the section but I remember we were seated by a giant standing TRexx! I think the large head, the teeth and noises frightened her. When my husband walked her around the restaurant to try to calm her down it didn't help as there were more dinosaurs and dark rooms to see. That's what I remember. She is now 7 - turning 8 so that was a about 5 years ago. The rooms could have changed by now as well.

Last edited:

so undecided.......

Been about 3-4 times but each time I ask myself why? Everyone should once for decor.

Food def not anything special (we prefer RFC food) particularly when DS now has so many dining options.

LOUD LOUD LOUD, even between meteor showers we have to lean in to each other to talk.

TRex is SO loud! Honestly, especially if you are going to be in a park all day and already have done a character meal, I would pick something more low-key.

My kids hated it (3 years ago at ages 3 and 5). At first they thought the dinosaurs were so cool but when we sat down to eat it was so loud and then the overhead show came on and it got dark and it was just too overwhelming.

So I vote skip it for something else. But only you know your kiddos, maybe they would like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter