Treadmill runners, click here

Ladyandthepuppies

DIS Veteran
I desperately need to buy a new treadmill ASAP but I’m nervous about making a several-thousand dollar purchase so thought I would come here for some recommendations. We live in the northeast and prefer to run outside but when it’s cold (or when our kiddos make it hard to get to the gym) we rely on our treadmill. My DH runs about 35 miles per week and I’m training for a half so running up to 13 miles on long run days but mostly between 3-6.

I’m wondering if I should pull the trigger on a LifeFitness or are the other, more affordable brands just as good? Looking at LifeFitness club series, NordicTrack, Sole or 3G Cardio Elite Runner but open to other suggestions. I am 0% interested in screens or training programs, we like to do our own thing without the bells and whistles. My main priorities are a treadmill that can stand up to a serious amount of use (potentially hours per day) and stay reliable.

Suggestions/reviews are much appreciated!

We purchased the LifeFitness club series with the large Discovery screen. It is very well built, solid to run on, and comfortable. We previously had a Nordic Track and were not happy with it, because it was not as comfortable to run on and just not as well built.

A second choice for me would be the Peloton Tread. I have run on a friends before and they are very nice to run on. My only complaint is there is no “reminder” on where the track stops and the sides start but I got used to it pretty quick. The screen is very good and the classes and instructors are motivating. The incline and speed are controlled with a dial so easier than pushing a button like on other treadmills. If it has been available when I got my LifeFitness, I may have gotten the Tread instead.

Have you ever tried a manual treadmill? The two brands I like are Woodway and TrueForm. I much prefer the manual treamills and when I'm forced to hit the gym to run it is always my first choice. If I were going motorized I wouldn't get one with a solid belt, I prefer the tank-like belts like the Woodway Pro. It is a far better running experience than a standard belt treadmill.

We had a Nordic Track Commercial Series 1750 that took a beating and served us well for 5 years. We gave it away when we moved back to CA because we can run outdoors year round here and it was collecting dust in our hot garage. The person we gave it to replaced the belt and is still using it 3 years later. It is a solid machine and was only about $1500 IIRC.

My recommendations would be to look for the longest belt you can, find one with good shock absorbing properties, and find one that can incline so you can simulate running hills.

Spend the money on a good one. It is totally worth it if you will be using it daily.

After much research last year, we got the Sole 80 and love it! It has a wide, long belt, and is very sturdy and comfortable to run on. Extremely happy with it!

I have a NordicTrack C series (can't remember the number, ~9 years old) that has held up to a LOT of miles since I live in Canada and hate running in the cold, rain, snow, ice, etc. Being an older model, it has no bells and whistles, just tracks distance, speed, elevation. It maxes out at 12 mph and 15% incline. I just finished half marathon training and did all of my runs on it for the last 4 months.

I like the length and width of the running belt, and felt their cushioning system was great for me (at 140 lbs - my husband does not use it due to poor knees so I can't speak for anyone heavier)

I have a Precor TRM 835 with the P30 console (not a TV screen). I bought mine used with a warranty. It’s a fantastic machine. Nice wide belt, very quiet and changes speed very quickly. It needs a lot of floor space so take that into consideration.

We had a Sole (F85) for 8 years and it was a sturdy machine. I trained for two marathons and countless halfs on it during the winter. It finally gave up the ghost last summer, though. Prior to that, the warranty was good and includes a lifetime deck replacement (no labor, but it wasn't too hard replacing the deck myself). If I was looking for a belt-based no frills treadmill, I would have definitely re-purchased a Sole.

Like GreatLakes wrote, I tried a Woodway at a local gym and loved it because of the slat-like surface rather than the belt. The Sole we had was built for longer striders so it got a little too "bouncy" especially toward the end. The slat belt is like running on the road. Unfortunately the Woodways are priced for commercial gym ownership, not home ownership (or at least our home!). Even the manual ones start at $6,000. The powered ones start around $11,000.

We ended up getting the Peloton Tread, which we got for around $4,000, and it has the slats instead of the belt. Its expensive, but is built like a tank. I also didn't think I'd be that into the classes and programs, but I've actually really enjoyed them and I've noticed that I have shaved off about a minute per mile on my longish (10K distance) races since. Its also much quieter than that our Sole treadmill.

I went in the opposite direction of most people on this thread. I bought the Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Folding Electric Treadmill 3 years ago and have since trained on it for multiple marathons and half marathons. There's no entertainment system and there are only 3 incline settings, but it's been trouble free. It also cost less than $300.

I recently purchased the NordicTrack 2450, about a month and a half ago. I had been struggling with motivation to get outside and run in the dark by myself when it was cold. My old treadmill finally started to die (incline stuck, and belt was slipping - probably could have fixed this, but decided on new one). So far so good. I have read reviews where the screen dies after a while. Mine is still working, and hopefully it stays that way.
I like the iFit programming. I may not ‘watch’ it too closely, but I like the auto-adjusting inclines to simulate hills. You can even program your own google map route, and it will simulate the hills, and if there is a street view on the route, it will display those images. I recently ran most of the 5 part series of the Boston Marathon, and also I set up a route for my upcoming 50k on gravel roads. I have used my own pacing on the programs, but let it adjust the incline as I go.

We have the Sole F80, it’s built super solid, and I don’t think it was super expensive but I don’t remember pricing. DH did a bunch of research so he could do marathon training on it if required because similar to you we have lots of cold & wet weather. So it’s a slightly longer/wider belt, and a good motor, but not many bells & whistles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter