Traveling with "non-believers" - any tips?

KateDrake

DIS Veteran
Hey all!

Anyone have any tips for traveling with folks who don't get the Disney magic? Or just don't know much about Disney?

For background, my parents are generously taking us all to Disney and Universal in a couple of months. My family of four is huge Disney fans and have been to Universal a couple of times as well and love the Harry Potter and Jurassic Park magic there. My sister, on the other hand, is coming with her family, and she is the only one who has ever been to Disney, and not since she was a teenager. Her husband and kids (Girl 9, Boy 7) have never been, and more than that, just don't really have any interest in going. They don't know many Disney movies, and don't really have plans to watch them (though we did just go see The Lion King touring production and the kids loved it). They are the kind of family who don't do Santa Clause/Tooth Fairy, etc., the kids know that mascots and characters are actors and such. My sister won't let them watch movies like Star Wars or Avatar because they are too violent. I am just worried that they are not going to have any fun, and more than that, keep US from having fun (a little. We will still have a blast!) Anyone been with a group like this? Any tips?

TIA!

I drug my husband to Disney World. I was not really a “Disney Magic” kind of person. Just wanted my kids to have the rite of passage experience that Disney offers. I am now planning a second trip and a cruise. I am even secretly looking at DVC points. My husband is buying Disney shirts and is fully on board with the “Disney Magic”. My advice to you is not to worry and have fun. The magic is real and it’s hard not to find it….. the best thing you can do is to have a clear plan and let them use your plan if they want. That way they won’t get overwhelmed with planning.

I adore Disney world and have such wonderful memories as a child. I also really like loads of Disney IP - the classic stuff but also Star Wars and Pixar - just about everything! My wife likes it, but if I am a 10/10 she is 6/10. We went this summer with our two girls aged 8 and 11. She really hates it if I became too enthusiastic or keep going on about Disney facts - I get it, it put pressure on her to have fun.

I think it is important to understand the people you are going with - what is their tolerance levels for walking? Do they get motion sick? How much downtime do they need? Come up with a plan and share it and see what they think. And then just let them enjoy Disney at their own pace and in their own way and if they aren't brimming with joy, just accept that - there is no obligation to act as a Disney advocate, it is not for everyone. My wife loved our holiday. She really really got into the pins and these cool Disney backpacks. Didn't really interest me at all - she found her own magic. She actually got tearful at the end of the American Adventure at Epcot - she found it so hopeful in this rather less hopeful world. I love that show so much, but for very different reasons (I love American history). You just never know where people will find their magic.

I don’t think you need to be into the movies or characters to enjoy Disney. Sometimes, that’s actually an advantage, because if they do end up loving a particular ride, theme or land, they may go home and be more interested in watching some Disney movies, which could spark a desire to return to Disney.

I think the best advice is not to hype anything up too much. Don’t say, “Oh, I just know you’re going to love this ride, or this restaurant, etc….” Have a plan and help them follow it if that’s what they want to do, but don’t force it. Separate for a bit if they aren’t feeling it and bringing you down.

I drug my husband to Disney World. I was not really a “Disney Magic” kind of person. Just wanted my kids to have the rite of passage experience that Disney offers. I am now planning a second trip and a cruise. I am even secretly looking at DVC points. My husband is buying Disney shirts and is fully on board with the “Disney Magic”. My advice to you is not to worry and have fun. The magic is real and it’s hard not to find it….. the best thing you can do is to have a clear plan and let them use your plan if they want. That way they won’t get overwhelmed with planning.
That's great. I'm envious actually. I'm just adding for OP and others that your friends might really enjoy the experience, but it is not a guarantee. Disney is not for everyone. I was a slow learner on that with DH. I have an extended family (my side) that just loves Disney. My dad started taking us as kids to the parks multiple times a year starting back in March 1971 when WDW opened. We have such great memories.

With my extended family gathering there regularly for the first 10 years of our marriage, knowing that DH was not that crazy about the parks we'd usually join them for a mini trip for three or four days every other year, while they would be down a week or two. We'd on those four days only do two park days and I'd look for things DH would like as he does not care for parks (Blue Man Group show, Cirque de Soleil show, Gatorland -- he likes that, I fly -- sky diving in an indoor wind tunnel, African themed restaurants, etc. -- I really put a lot of time and effort into this). DH is fun to travel with to places he likes, but his complaining (especially when we were in the parks) really dampened my enthusiasm and fun. It's so fun to go the the parks with other's who love Disney, but the best thing to do with Disney poops is leave them at home. It took us 10 years to figure this out (like I said we were slow learners), but both DH and I are so much happier if I just go by myself with DS and he stays home (win, win for all). He's so happy not to go and has no problem whatsoever with our going on our own. Do note, we do an annual vacation that DH will enjoy too to a non theme park place. And yes, despite this, we are happily married. We will be celebrating our 38th wedding anniversary next January. I do a short Disney trip without DH about every other year and have for the last 28 years lol. For DH -- the fakeness of Disney just really gets to him (man made stuff). He mostly likes to vacation to pristine natural places. He liked Gatorland because the alligators are real and it is the antithesis of a world class theme parks.

I think OP that there is a very good chance that your friends will enjoy the experience, but I'm just saying not everyone does. Share your recommendations, let them tag along with you, and see where it goes. Think of it as an experiment. If it isn't as much fun with them, you can go on your own next time.

Here's the funny thing, unless you know someone who goes regularly, it's really easy to not know what Disney is...especially kids that young. I didn't go until I was 18, but I always knew I wanted to go but I could never tell you why. Sure I liked Disney movies, but beyond that, I had no explanation as to why I wanted to go.

I'd rather go with people who don't know what they want out of Disney than the trip I went with tweenaged cousins....they were a buzzkill.

I would agree with many that you shouldn't even think about it. The family will react in whatever way they do and there really isn't anything you can do about it, so why fret.

My first visit was as an adult with my wife, and two young children (6 & 8). We had heard about it and it seemed like fun but none of us knew what to expect. I didn't know exactly how I would feel about it and then I turned onto World Drive and have been hooked on quality theme parks ever since. I have been to Disney and Universal on both coasts and Disneyland Paris. I've made 48 trips to WDW alone and at least 20 to Universal Florida, Visited Sea World, Busch Gardens, Cyprus Gardens, Sunken Gardens and Silver Springs, Fla. to name a few. I convinced dozens of people to try the experience just once and all but one became true fans after that. That one bothered me for a long time, but then I realized that it wasn't their thing and that was fine. The truth is you cannot force the issue, they either love it or they don't and that's OK. The complexity and effort required to enjoy Disney now has dampened my spirit a lot and I guess being 74 with some mobility problems hasn't helped either, so it is ultra important to enjoy it and make as many great memories as you can, while you can. None of this lasts forever.

Enjoy it yourself and let the Debbie Downers frown their way through life.

Just back from trip with eight year old grandson who didn’t want autograph book, they’re just people in costumes attitude…that said, he jumped up to hug all of the characters at dining experiences and loved every minute.
Seeing him so enthused, his parents got right in on the fun!
You never know!!!

Keep the pressure low about loving it, let them guide some of the day (but don't let them be stupid and make really bad decisions). I went with some non-believer family members several years ago now on their first trip. They still had fun and did things I would never do (stand in 60+ minute lines; shop more than me; eat more snacks; and whine more about the lack of thrill rides).
Interestingly - now all the kids are young adults vs early teens and they are going on a family trip right after Christmas. Huh. Guess they might have had a enough fun they are willing to go again. :rotfl2:

I was a non-believer and didn't go until I was 30. Was super skeptical when my husband encouraged us to go. We had the best time because we did all the things that we enjoy. We aren't into characters so we don't do that. We are into fancy meals so we did that. There is so much to do and see that there truly is something for everyone regardless if you are into Disney (I'm looking at you, World Showcase). Figure out what makes a vacation fun for them and make sure they can do those things.

Don't write off them as having fun b/c they tell their kids straight up about the costumes,etc. I have a relative who is very honest with her kiddos like that too,and they all adore going to Disney, even hugging the characters etc. When my kids were little I always told them the truth when they asked too, and they always loved meeting characters regardless.

That's great. I'm envious actually. I'm just adding for OP and others that your friends might really enjoy the experience, but it is not a guarantee. Disney is not for everyone. I was a slow learner on that with DH. I have an extended family (my side) that just loves Disney. My dad started taking us as kids to the parks multiple times a year starting back in March 1971 when WDW opened. We have such great memories.

With my extended family gathering there regularly for the first 10 years of our marriage, knowing that DH was not that crazy about the parks we'd usually join them for a mini trip for three or four days every other year, while they would be down a week or two. We'd on those four days only do two park days and I'd look for things DH would like as he does not care for parks (Blue Man Group show, Cirque de Soleil show, Gatorland -- he likes that, I fly -- sky diving in an indoor wind tunnel, African themed restaurants, etc. -- I really put a lot of time and effort into this). DH is fun to travel with to places he likes, but his complaining (especially when we were in the parks) really dampened my enthusiasm and fun. It's so fun to go the the parks with other's who love Disney, but the best thing to do with Disney poops is leave them at home. It took us 10 years to figure this out (like I said we were slow learners), but both DH and I are so much happier if I just go by myself with DS and he stays home (win, win for all). He's so happy not to go and has no problem whatsoever with our going on our own. Do note, we do an annual vacation that DH will enjoy too to a non theme park place. And yes, despite this, we are happily married. We will be celebrating our 38th wedding anniversary next January. I do a short Disney trip without DH about every other year and have for the last 28 years lol. For DH -- the fakeness of Disney just really gets to him (man made stuff). He mostly likes to vacation to pristine natural places. He liked Gatorland because the alligators are real and it is the antithesis of a world class theme parks.

I think OP that there is a very good chance that your friends will enjoy the experience, but I'm just saying not everyone does. Share your recommendations, let them tag along with you, and see where it goes. Think of it as an experiment. If it isn't as much fun with them, you can go on your own next time.

I could have written this myself, DH tolerated a few Disney trips over the last decade or so, but it is definitely not his thing. He doesn't like crowds, and doesn't get Disney.

He has no issues with me going, either solo or with friends, and we're both much happier that he doesn't feel that he needs to go to make me happy. Do I wish he loved Disney like I do? Yep, but that is not the case, so we make it work.

Hey all!

Anyone have any tips for traveling with folks who don't get the Disney magic? Or just don't know much about Disney?

For background, my parents are generously taking us all to Disney and Universal in a couple of months. My family of four is huge Disney fans and have been to Universal a couple of times as well and love the Harry Potter and Jurassic Park magic there. My sister, on the other hand, is coming with her family, and she is the only one who has ever been to Disney, and not since she was a teenager. Her husband and kids (Girl 9, Boy 7) have never been, and more than that, just don't really have any interest in going. They don't know many Disney movies, and don't really have plans to watch them (though we did just go see The Lion King touring production and the kids loved it). They are the kind of family who don't do Santa Clause/Tooth Fairy, etc., the kids know that mascots and characters are actors and such. My sister won't let them watch movies like Star Wars or Avatar because they are too violent. I am just worried that they are not going to have any fun, and more than that, keep US from having fun (a little. We will still have a blast!) Anyone been with a group like this? Any tips?

TIA!
I would not be worried about kids knowing characters are people in costumes. my one granddaughter that was the only way she would go near character at Disney and she was age 4 years at that time. as for not knowing movies the rides and shows are stand a lone stories and can be enjoyed either way. and lastly I would not be over excited and bringing up all the fun things when together as that can turn them off even more. assuming your kids and the other ones are close let your kids take the lead in showing the fun

I was one of those non Disney magic people 10 years ago. I had never been to Disney World. I really wasnt to much into Disney movies. My GF at the time now my wife. Found out that I had never been. So we planned a trip to Disney World before we got married. The magic is real. I feel in love with Disney and Disney World. Went back in 2017, became DVC owners in 2018. Been every year after. I would not really worry about the non magic people. They will find it on there own. Just enjoy the trip.

I've been with a lot of different families that had their first trip to disney with us and believe me, after your vacation they will get bit by the disney bug and love it. Yall will all have such a good time together! Don't worry about, and have a great trip. we love universal too, we go there every yr when we go to disney. Have a fun trip!

I could have written this myself, DH tolerated a few Disney trips over the last decade or so, but it is definitely not his thing. He doesn't like crowds, and doesn't get Disney.

He has no issues with me going, either solo or with friends, and we're both much happier that he doesn't feel that he needs to go to make me happy. Do I wish he loved Disney like I do? Yep, but that is not the case, so we make it work.
Same here. He goes because he doesn't want DD and me to vacation without him, but it is not his cup of tea despite going many times. He stays in the room and hangs out a lot and that's ok. It truly isn't an obsession or love for everyone.

IMO this will probably depend on the type of comments the parents make.

Are they the ones that have to interject random comments? Like if the kids see Mickey Mouse will the parents say "now remember this stuff isn't real, it's just costumes"? Will the parents insist on pointing out details? Furthermore will the kids do that?

Disney I think can be a really hard sell to people who are like the above. While you don't have to necessarily love Disney and all that it comes with such as the movies, merch, etc if you're the type of person who lives in realism 24/7 with vocal aspects to that you're going to be a debbie downer for the trip.

Question about not allowing the kids to watch movies due to violence---have you approached your sister about the rides? How does she feel about that? FOP doesn't have violence really although the land does have props that allude to violence like the giant robot suit (forget the actual term) out by Satu'li Canteen. I wonder Batuu itself (if the characters are out) and Star Tours perhaps being a bit too much. IDK just something to discuss with them.

Also are these people that have gone to other theme and amusement parks? How many days will you be doing? Will they be the type of people who get bored quick? If they do get bored will everyone be okay if they split off and do whatever they feel like?

Not everyone enjoys disney or even theme parks, that's fine. My first impulse was to ask why even take them if they don't want to go? I know your parents want to treat all of you but if someone goes in with the attitude it's not something they are going to enjoy you can't force them to.

Having said that, we have taken many adults who didn't understand why my son and I love it and they fell in love. Maybe not for the same reason as us, but the why doesn't matter.

I don't watch many of the current movies, can't even remember the last one I saw. Am not a star wars fan, have only seen the original 3 that were released in the 70s.

Neither me or my adult son ride many rides any more. I've aged out of most of the roller coasters because they hurt and most of the 3d rides make me sick. We haven't done characters since my son was probably 10.

My hubby doesn't like to go places, if we travel we go in our rv and he rarely wants to go explore the place we are. He doesn't like crowds, he doesn't like to walk, he's a grumpy old man (and only 52). He went to wdw once with my son and I. We took the rv and stayed at the fort. He went to the parks for about 3 hours in the morning and just hung out at the fort the rest of the time. He would rater eat in rv then go out. It wasn't the most fun my son and I have ever had. That's OK. Hubby stays at home and I go solo or with my son and now his SO and their baby. Sons SO didn't get it but I paid for them to go with me when the baby was about 5 months old. Mama fell in love with it and they went back without me a few months ago when baby was about 17 months old and are already talking about their next trip. Hubby offered to go with me in April and take the rv so it would be cheaper and I said no thanks. Not worth it with someone who doesn't enjoy it.

All this to say you can't force it, it's not for everyone. Ask them if they truly don't want to go or what they think they might enjoy. Go from there, don't stress yourself trying to make things happen for them. They will either go and not like it, which is fine, now you all know it's not for them. Or they will go and think it's OK but not somewhere they need to go often, again OK. Or they will fall in love. None of it is on you.

All this to say you can't force it, it's not for everyone. Ask them if they truly don't want to go or what they think they might enjoy. Go from there, don't stress yourself trying to make things happen for them. They will either go and not like it, which is fine, now you all know it's not for them. Or they will go and think it's OK but not somewhere they need to go often, again OK. Or they will fall in love. None of it is on you.

My first impulse was to ask why even take them if they don't want to go? I know your parents want to treat all of you but if someone goes in with the attitude it's not something they are going to enjoy you can't force them to.
These were my first thoughts too. I wondered if it was just the OP's parents trying to be "equal" in what they were offering like not wanting to just take one family (the OP's family) without offering to take the other.

Purely my opinion but I would have suggested a better suited vacation destination if the OP was asking if it was a good idea as there are countless other places to have one big family vacation. One that everyone would be interested in. That said the family may have better time at Universal (sans Wizarding World due to theming) assuming the 9 and 7 year old are able to ride the rides there if the big issue ends up being all the characters, theming, etc at Disney.

I'd merely suggest letting them experience it in their own way. Maybe they'll be awed by it, maybe they won't, maybe somewhere in between. The first time I visited the parks was in my early 20s... at the time I wasn't that into the idea of going to the parks, and we did 2 days (one at MK, one at Epcot) while staying offsite. On that trip, I could take or leave MK, but Epcot I fell in love with. I really loved the International Showcase and had no idea all that stuff existed in the back area.

Later on, whenever I thought about going to AK, I had written it off as an overpriced zoo and wondered what's the point. Years later, it's my favorite park - I really enjoy the immersive nature of the lands and all the greenery. On that note, AKL is my favorite resort and we now own DVC there.

Basically, I wouldn't overhype the trip and tell them that they 'must enjoy this' or 'you WILL LOVE that'. Let them experience it for themselves. Sometimes it takes a few trips to really soak in the details.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter