Traveling With Child - Tips for a Single Dad??

tygersclaw

Mouseketeer
My DD5 and I will be making our journey to DLR in 16 sleeps, and although I have flown many times before, I have never gone on a trip like this with a child (and I am 58 years old). This is our first time to DLR as well.

Now DD5 is indeed 5, and will be facing a very early wake up (4AM) the drive to the airport, the short shuttle trip from the parking to the terminal, the flight check in process, inspection by CBA and then a 2.5 wait in the terminal before we board the plane for a 3.5 hour flight. (I have a feeling those 6 or so hours will be the harshest).

We are flying in from Canada so that means there is more time spent with customs and airport waiting than with domestic.

I have planned that she will have her iPad with her games she likes to play along with her brand new Frozen headphones (child safe 85db max along with iPad volume restricted), her Anna & Elsa dolls, her Elmo stuffy that she has had since she was at least 2, her Minecraft stuffed piggy, a Frozen coloring book with glitter crayons, 3 cereal bars for her to nibble on, but I am looking for advice from those who have traveled with a 5yo girl before.

Any and all travel tips are welcomed, as well as tips for the days we arrive/depart and are not going to be going to DLR (although I have thought of going DTD to get our voucher exchanged for our tickets, and first time buttons as well as possibly a date at the Elsa & Anna Boutique).

Like I said, this is my first time traveling/flying with my daughter and I want her to enjoy every minute of her Disney Adventure, and as well enjoy a stress free, or as stress free of a trip, as possible.

Last edited:
DD was exactly that age when we took our first Disney trip. I, too, was nervous about the flight. We left at 11pm and was on a 5-hr flight.
For flying, I'd say you have a ton of stuff to keep her occupied for the wait. If she gets antsy, go for a walk around the airport.
Since she's waking up early, she may fall asleep on the airplane. If not, set her up with a movie or the coloring. Or just talk about what she wants to do when she gets there to get her amped up.

This just may be my kids, but they were so excited about the trip, and even at DL, that they were pretty well-behaved. And trust me, my kids are NOT that well-behaved. I mean they are, but especially DD (who is 7 now) is very spirited. She's over excited and loud. But amazingly she was soo good at DL. I wished it were always like that.

For days not in the park, if you're not driving, walk around Downtown Disney. there's a Build a Bear that I'm sure she will love. And of course World of Disney, like the biggest Disney Store ever.

I know how you feel about the early morning. We'll be leaving home at 4am to catch our flight. It's going to be a long day.
I pack chewing gum and hard candies for the flight. I have one DGD that ends up with ear problems on decent. She wears the child size "ear-planes" to minimize the problem. The gum and candy are to help her ears pop when they plug.

Family restrooms will be handy for you and your DD. At the airport check and see where they are before she needs one. You might do a search for DLR and see what comes up for locations.

You're going to have a great time!!

Geemo

Last edited:
2 years ago I traveled alone with my son, who was 4 at the time. You have done a great job at making sure your DD has enough to do/snack on!

One I thing I did with my son, which I think helped, was have him watch videos of airplanes and flights. I also searched youtube for vidoes of kids in airplanes. We talked about how it will go, what it would be like, what is expected (the "rules") a lot before our trip. He knew what to expect, which helped his anxieties, so he was just excited. That excitement lasted for a while on the plane, he was content to look out the window and watch things for a long time before I had to break out the movies/activities.

Good luck!! :D

Where will you be staying? If you're staying near DLR, I would consider looking into having dinner at Goofy's Kitchen (the only character meal at dinner time). It might be a fun way to start your trip (assuming she likes characters and isn't scared of them). On the other hand, given how early you all have to be awake, you might want to make it an early night (I know I would)!

In terms of going to DTD, it really depends on whether or not you want to take her shopping. Most of the places are either restaurants or stores. It can be fun, but when I went with an almost 5-year old (one month shy), she didn't really "enjoy" window shopping. She would point out thing she wanted, but eventually got bored and asked for her book after hearing "we're just looking" enough times. So it's something to keep in mind if you go to DTD.

It sounds like you may need a good rest at your hotel when you arrive. Then, if it's still early enough, a short visit to DTD would be fun, dinner, maybe a visit to one or two stores and then back to bed. I'm sure she will be exhausted from the early wake up and all the excitement. Do you plan on bringing a stroller? I know some 5y.o. are fine walking all day, but I know that when my DS was 5 the stroller saved us! We pretty much had stopped using it at that age, but being in the parks is different and we were so glad that we had it. Of course you can always rent one at the parks if needed. You sound like a thoughtful dad, I'm sure you will have a great trip!

:thumbsup2Thought of something else. :)

On one of our non-Disney days we walked to the Garden Walk and went bowling. It was my then 4yo son's first time bowling and he LOVED it. We ordered lunch and ate as we bowled... great food and such a fun time. They had a couple of arcade games he liked too. The Garden Walk is a very close to the DLR main entrance (so if you're staying off site, chances are it will be very close to your hotel.)

We went to DTD and my little one liked walking around because it was at night and it was all lit up, and there was live music, etc. But it is mostly stores and restaurants (as the PP stated). What helped was I let him carry a toy with him (light up bubble machine gun thing) and he left a trail of bubbles everywhere we went- people were following him and trying to get into the bubbles. We also went into the big Disney store for him to shop.

:thumbsup2

Where will you be staying? If you're staying near DLR, I would consider looking into having dinner at Goofy's Kitchen (the only character meal at dinner time). It might be a fun way to start your trip (assuming she likes characters and isn't scared of them). On the other hand, given how early you all have to be awake, you might want to make it an early night (I know I would)!

In terms of going to DTD, it really depends on whether or not you want to take her shopping. Most of the places are either restaurants or stores. It can be fun, but when I went with an almost 5-year old (one month shy), she didn't really "enjoy" window shopping. She would point out thing she wanted, but eventually got bored and asked for her book after hearing "we're just looking" enough times. So it's something to keep in mind if you go to DTD.

We are staying at the Best Western Plus Raffles Inn & Suites. Hoping we can check in a hour or 2 earlier than when Check-in time starts, and then maybe just lounge by the pool/hot-tub (14 day forcast says it should be between 68f & 75f when we arrive and where we are in Canada right now it is -2F so even 68f will feel balmy).

I am sure that DD would love a character dinner, but my hope is to book an appointment at Anna & Elsa Boutique in DTD so she can have herself "Elsafied" (still on "to-do" list to book today). If there is time dinner would not be out of the question.

Plus I will have to factor in a quick trip to either Target or Walgrens to get some snacks/water etc

Already planning the vacation from the vacation lol

Have you considered having Von's deliver groceries to your room? We are giving that a whirl this time. :)

I did think about Von's but thought that a quick trip to Target would allow me to do 2 things. Get the snacks/water as previously mentioned, but, also some more summery clothing as right now all we have in stores here is still winter clothes so thought a couple pairs of shorts for DD and I would be apropos.

And I DID get a appointment for DD to be "Elsafied" at the Elsa & Anna Boutique the day we arrive. It is a 5 PM appointment which can lead us right into dinner after the appointment.

It sounds like you have stuff pretty well planned out. I traveled with my son (single mom) for our first plane trip when he was 2.5 yrs old. We had an early flight and I think he did better on that flight than the afternoon return flight. He was in good spirits and napped on the plane, which was perfect because our room wasn't ready when we checked in. I let him sleep as late as I could before I woke him up to go. I had everything loaded and ready to go and I just had to get him up and change him and grab a snack. Just go with the flow and try not to stress too much.

The Target near Disneyland is a good choice. Strongly recommend protein snacks--jerky, nuts, trail mix, granola bars with nuts. They keep me from 'crash and burn' in the middle of the day. Water is definitely a good idea--I love soda, but DL is one of those places where I HAVE to have water. Also, can't emphasize the 'family' bathroom enough--my DH and DD went to DL when she was little, and this was the one problem they encountered. He found an elderly lady who was willing to assist DD, but that was 25 years ago--it might be more difficult to get help from a stranger these days. Will DD be mailing a postcard back to anyone at home? She might enjoy picking out a few postcards, signing them and dropping them in the Disneyland mail box. Hope you have a GREAT time!!!!!

I have 2 boys (5 & almost 7)....so not sure if this will apply to a girl, but she likes minecraft (and so do my boys) so she might like this. On non-park days, our boys LOVE to go to the game section of the ESPN zone in Downtown Disney. They have a mini bowling game, arcade games, basketball, air hockey, etc.

Also, there is a new CVS on the corner of Harbor and Katella, that of course is not as big as Target, or as well stocked, but they did have lots of snacks, drinks, if you don't want to go all the way to Target. Just throwing that out there!

Another thing I put out there for my boys, is the rule to not buy a souvenir until the end of the trip. Otherwise, they ask for everything they see! And, a lot of the attractions dump you right out into a store! LOL. So, we always have a talk about that the morning of starting our trips! We also make them take a break about every 2-3 hours and grab a snack (we pack our own) and a drink and go potty, etc. Otherwise they get cranky.

Have a great trip! Sorry I can't help with the flying aspect, as we always drive.

I have planned that she will have her iPad with her games she likes to play along with her brand new Frozen headphones .

1. Don't forget to bring those headphones into the park with you.
My DD is 4-yrs and is by no means sensitive to sounds and I've found that she NEEDS the headphones for Fantasmic. WOC and the Fireworks shows. The show sounds are just so loud for her little ears. I think it will help your little one.

2. I assume you're flying Alaska Air from Canada - they still offer family pre-boarding so make sure you take advantage of that so you are in seats either near the front for faster exit or near the restroom.

3. If your daughter does get plugged up ears, ask the flight attendant for 2 styrofoam cups a few napkins and hot water. You put the napkins in the hot water then into the cups and hold them over your daughters ears and "pop" them with the steam. Sounds weird but it works, I've done it a few times on my little one.

4. Have her favorite blankie to being on the plane in case she wants to sleep (and planes get cold) and she will have it at the hotel.

5. The Anna & Elsa boutique makeover is going to add a lot of sparkle and hairspray to her hair. If you want it to last until the next day for the parks. have her sleep with a towel over the pillow so there is less chance of glitter sticking to her face. To refresh her style the next day have a spray bottle of water and spray and restyle the hair. This is important, Dad! :flower1:

6. We bring only one or 2 favorite toys and I buy cheap ones at the dollar store to bring because things get lost!

Enjoy your Daddy and Daughter trip!! I bet anything you do will be amazing to her. Just make sure she gets rest and stays on her sleep schedule. I remember taking trips just with my Dad when I was little and they always made me feel like he CHOSE to spend time with me and I remember feeling so special :lovestruc

What are your plans for pictures of the two of you on the trip?

You might want to get PhotoPass+ (PP+).
Info here..... http://www.disneyphotopass.com/specialoffers/dlrppp.htm

It states 14 days for delivery. However, each time I've ordered it, its' arrived in about a week. Not sure how it would be for delivery to Canada.
If you decide to order PP+, print off a copy of you order. If it comes to travel time and it hasn't arrived don't worry. Just take the copy of your order to the camera shop.

Geemo

Last edited:
For the plane.. take some food with you... plane food can be strange for kids.. and if you have something that you know she will eat..you will be prepared. .. you can buy fresh fruit at the airport and eat it on the plane.. KIds in the US no longer have to take their shoes off at security,, but still have to put everything through the screens .. kids of a certain age do not have to go through the full body Xrays.. they can still go through the old metal detectors.. and as her guardian you too...
I would make sure that you have a letter stating that you have permission from her other parent.. notarized . I will be taking my son to Canada next week without my husband and we are getting a letter notarized that its ok for me to take him. Im pretty sure its a requirement with international travel.. and even if not ,, then still a good thing to have , just in case.!
Hope you both have a great time..

I would make sure that you have a letter stating that you have permission from her other parent.. notarized . I will be taking my son to Canada next week without my husband and we are getting a letter notarized that its ok for me to take him. Im pretty sure its a requirement with international travel.. and even if not ,, then still a good thing to have , just in case.!

Nikkislaght, could you give me a bit more information about this, I am planning our first trip to Disneyland for January 2016. I am a single Mum to 2 girls from New Zealand. Is this a condition of entry to the USA or is it an international law? :thanks:

Sorry for Hijacking the thread :-)

Hope you both have a great time..
When I take my grandkids without their parents, I take a permission slip.
On the slip it includes parents contact information. I also have medical info and insurance info, in case something happens.
I have each parent sign the note.
geemo

Nikkislaght, could you give me a bit more information about this, I am planning our first trip to Disneyland for January 2016. I am a single Mum to 2 girls from New Zealand. Is this a condition of entry to the USA or is it an international law? :thanks:

Sorry for Hijacking the thread :-)

The United States CBS may ask for a letter of "Consent For International Travel" from single parents traveling with children, but, it is more common that they will ask a father traveling with a child than a mother. But it is better safe than sorry.

It is not necessary for the letter to be Notarized, but, if it is there is less questions about it's authenticity by USA CBS/TSA agents.

It is also sometimes a good idea to have the children's birth certificate showing the parents names and country of citizenship for the parents as well your children's and your passport. Ensure the passport does not expire within 4 to 6 months, of your arrival to the USA and is up to date as a soon to be expired passport could have the CBS/TSA agent look a little more closely at you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter