Travel documents for non-US citizens

teskak

DIS Veteran
The Dreams FAQ for DCL says

For all non-U.S. citizens including Canadian citizens, travel documents will be taken upon check-in by a Disney Cruise Line® representative, and a passport/Alien Resident Card receipt will be issued for presentation to immigration inspectors upon return to Port Canaveral.

Can somebody please clarify? Does that mean my Aussie passport has to be handed over to DCL? What about that comment about having to keep your travel documents in the very unlikely instance somebody needs to be medevaced from Nassau?

Maybe I am just distrustful, but handing a passport over to anybody and banking on its safe return 4 days later when I have to then depart onwards to Australia is just tempting SOD's law.

The Dreams FAQ for DCL says

For all non-U.S. citizens including Canadian citizens, travel documents will be taken upon check-in by a Disney Cruise Line® representative, and a passport/Alien Resident Card receipt will be issued for presentation to immigration inspectors upon return to Port Canaveral.

Can somebody please clarify? Does that mean my Aussie passport has to be handed over to DCL? What about that comment about having to keep your travel documents in the very unlikely instance somebody needs to be medevaced from Nassau?

Maybe I am just distrustful, but handing a passport over to anybody and banking on its safe return 4 days later when I have to then depart onwards to Australia is just tempting SOD's law.

I believe that this has changed. They used to take all non-US citizens' passports, but I think this was discontinued. I would bring a color photocopy of your passport with you in case this would happen. By the way, we never bring our passport with us on shore excursions. The risk of losing it or having it stolen just isn't worth it.

I'm not sure what the procedure is these days, but it used to be that US Immigration was done on board only for non-US citizens. Once the "aliens" were cleared, everyone was just free to walk off the ship. The last few (non Disney) cruises I have been on, US Immigration was done to everyone once you got off the ship, so that solved the problem of non-US citiizens possibly entering the country illegally.

In any case, I would trust the DCL purser to keep my documents, but Tracy's idea of keeping a color copy (I keep mine online) as a backup, an excellent idea.

The information is dated....

Now you just keep your Passport with you.
They don't take it and you don't have to get up early to get you passport back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter