• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel Agent vs. Doing it Yourself

I used a TA from DreamsUnlimited for my recent trip in August. She helped me got discount before I had heard about the promotion. I could do everything by myself but it's nice to have someone there for me when I need help. I don't like calling Disney because not all CM are on the same page. I currently have a BB offer and I have the same TA attached to the reservation. Why?? Why not!

I have gone 4 times and going on my fifth time this Thanksgiving. The past 4 trips I did on my own. This one I used a TA because of a exclusive. It was a better price then any deal I could find including my parents military discount. So I booked my room and 1 hopper for my daughter. (My husband and myself already had tickets.) I am staying at POQ for basically the same price as POP. I still have made all my dining and will do fast passes. I guess it just depends. My big trip 2 years ago I constantly made changes to my resort and dates. I loved being in control, but it was our first on property stay. This one will be our 3rd and second time this year. I know going into this trip it is short and won't change dates only of I have to cancel. So basically for me it's all about saving for me.

We used a TA for our first trip who was a Disney expert. In some ways, he was fantastic... We were completely overwhelmed, he made some ADRs for us so we had some direction re: parks each day, explained fast pass, magical express and recommended some shows and explained park hopper option.

What he did not do is explain there was any kind of promos ever available.... No idea about room discounts, free dining, etc. We would tell him resorts we were interested in and that we didn't like/want anything too heavily themed or too fussy. Yet each quote he forwarded included resorts we specifically said no to already (AoA and GF). I do believe each time he did a quote for another client for around our dates, he forwarded it to me too.

While l was grateful for his assistance, after doing more research, I am confident I know what will work better for our family next time. After being such a fan of disboards and all their podcasts, I would use Dreams Unlimited if l were to go TA route again. :)

We have never used a TA for WDW or any other trip for that matter. With that said, if someone tells me they're going to WDW and do I have any advice? Guess what, I tell them to find a TA that specializes in WDW.

I'm known as the Disney fanatic, so people ask all the time. I have given advice in the past to family and friends (sometimes very detailed plans), and too often it blew up in my face. "We didn't really care for that hotel or restaurant" or "You didn't tell me it would be so busy" etc., etc. Almost every time comments were said in a nice enough way or joking, yet made me feel uncomfortable. Figured just by bringing it up, there's something there.

So these days I do my best not to give any advice, just direct them to a TA so they can feel the wrath. :):rolleyes1

I mainly use a TA for great agency exclusive discounts that are better than what Disney offers. We just got back on Saturday from a week at Beach Club and paid $200/night, which is a fantastic deal. I still have full control of my trip plans, and I do all of our ADR's and FP's myself.

Usually you can't make payments online yourself when you book through a TA but I literally just booked my Feb solo trip through my TA and linked my reservation on MDE and the option is there for me to make payments. Thought that was odd, unless that is something new?

I use a TA but I go in knowing what deal I want and where I want to stay, what tickets I want, etc. I book my own dining and FP. I really just use the TA because I don't like dealing with Disney myself. And it's easier to just make payments for the balance to her over time.
She says I'm her easiest client lol

This is what I do too! I also book my own airfare and always wondered why I bother with a TA. However, after my last trip, I don't think I will wonder that ever again...

About 3 weeks out from a planned trip in May 2015, I realized I would have to completely reschedule - no way around it. Clearly, I was freaking out and due to everything going on, had no time to reschedule a whole trip. I called my TA, gave her a few possible dates, and in about 30 minutes she was back to me with three options with prices. I was so glad I went with a TA, as I feel that dealing directly with Disney in that situation could have been a lot more difficult.

I also got delta to let us reschedule our flights and they waived all fees - we only had to pay the $8 different in airfare!! I had luck on my side rescheduling that trip. We ended up going in July and had a blast!

Can anyone lay out to me the pros vs. cons of planning a Disney vacation by yourself or using a travel agent. I've always planned our trips myself. I find that planning is almost as enjoyable as going. I've also found that I can find really good deals by scouring the boards and finding little tricks and tips. Now, I realize that not everyone has the time to spend hours a day planning but my DH and I are self-employed and I'm basically his secretary for our office. I'm pretty much able to answer the phone during the day and sit at the computer planning Disney :)

A friend of mine is in the early planning stages and has elected to use a travel agent. When the Parksavers buy 4 days, get 3 free days was offered I mentioned it to her and her travel agent hadn't said anything about it. They are a family of 5 and she was given a few room options but I don't even think the agent mentioned anything about the possibility of renting DVC points.

But, I also know that sometimes travel agencies will offer discounts or can add extras in. I also know they are very helpful if you have problems, etc. with your planning. I would love to at least talk to one to see what they might could do.
Many years ago, we were going to use a travel agent. They literally pulled up the Disney website and started to put together a package. We said we would like to take it home to review it. After carefully checking it out, it was $500 more than doing it ourselves. We contacted the travel agent and questioned the cost. She said she had to make something on the package. She also stated that Disney doesn't discount to travel agents. They can offer the same special prices that Disney offers. After that, we have booked our own every time.

I LOVE my TA!!! She is incredibly responsive, she actually rebooked a vacation for DGS when the rate became cheaper immediately. By the time I emailed her with the info I had obtained on the Dis she had already rebooked at the cheaper rate.
She works REALLY hard for us. She has gotten every single ADR on my list at the times requested, and does FPs as well. I have her cell, email, and fb info. I believe she actually does a better job for me than I could ever do for myself. I no longer have to get up early on my 180 day or 60 day mark. I sleep, knowing she is working!
Her name is Stephanie and she is an agent at World of Magic Travel. I have heard wonderful stories about other TAs as well, but I'm my opinion, she's the best, there's nobody better than her!

I've used a TA for half my trips to WDW but I would never use an agent for a non-Disney trip. The benefit for me is not having to deal with Disney on the phone myself, especially since I don't live in Eastern Standard time and am often busy with work. I like booking trips early, and then having the TA keep an eye out for room-only discounts and call Disney the day discounts come out. I generally know what resort and want and my dates, and do initial research so I'm really just using them to save time and inconvenience. I have also booked trips myself, usually when price is the most important factor, and I'm booking after discounts are out. Eta: cons of using a TA for me are, their recommendations are based on what they or their typical client think is important, which may not be important to you. We used a TA for our first trip (a honeymoon) and she suggested a resort as "romantic" that we disliked b/c of theming, and a room location close to buses that had a parking lot view, when good view was our priority. So, I actually think I benefit more from using a agent now after several trips than when I was a newbie.

Last edited:
I use a TA for ever trip I know what I want and where I want...etc.... I love her LOL and it is super easy and I get everything I want. Wouldn't do it without her.

@Linkedo. I am appalled to hear that yout TA tacked on an additional commission.

The way it works is that Disney builds a 10% commission into every trip. If a person uses a TA, Disney pays the agency 10% of the total trip cost minus sales tax and certain non commissional add ons.

If you book the trip yourself, Disney keeps that commission.

You should never pay more to go through an agent than you would pay booking it yourself.

I did have a client claim that she had found a better price but after comparing offers, we determined that her quote did not include sales tax but mine did.

I repeate...never use an agent who charges you a commission.

BTW I reccomend Dreams Unlimited also. We used to use them back in the day.

I use my Travel agent because they offer exclusive packages that fly out of the small city airport 15 minutes from my house, which has free parking for the week- these trips are literally the only larger planes that go out of this airport. I can book my own, but then its an hour and a half drive to and from Philly airport, paying for a parking accommodation for my vehicle. They also got me a bulk package rate on my room at French Quarter which was way less than what Disney's website was quoting.

So, there are reasons to use a Travel agent, depending on what is available in your area.

We've used a TA for our past few trips, only because they are a personal, local friend. We are still very active in the planning process, and they help us out a lot too. Mostly, the reason we use them is to help their business, since it doesn't cost us any more to use them, and they get paid. If we didn't personally know a Disney-specialized TA, we would just plan the trips ourselves.

I do not use a TA because you lose flexibility.
For example, I have a cruise booked through a TA which got me $225 onboard credit. Now I have a conflict with the date and will have to pay the TA a $100 cancellation fee. If I had booked directly with the cruiseline, there would be no penalty.
With a TA if you see a better price it might not be possible to change it because they do not want to do extra work which also results in them getting less commission because of your now lower fare.
We have traveled with inlaws and they use a TA. The air she booked cost more and had a layover. We found cheaper nonstop flights that were better times. Our cabin on the ship had a price drop of a few hundred dollars which I called and got adjusted for our room. My mother in law called TA who said she would see at final payment if there were price drops and get it. This was four months later and of course prices were back up by then!
I have more stories but you get the picture.

I am one of those who used to use a TA but plan and book myself now. I have nothing against TA's, I have used them often in the past and still do for other trips (in fact, I wanted to be a TA once upon a time!), but with all the information and options available on the internet and the help of boards like these, I find it so easy doing a Disney trip on my own. I did read that a TA will be on the phone trying to get you free dining or other promotions when they open up and that's kind of a cool thing for those who don't have the time or inclination to have to call yourself!

I'm too much of a type A to use a TA. However, people at work seem to think I am one since I've planned several of their trips....but I do it happily because it's enjoyable, and these people are clueless... They think it's like planning a day at Dollywood (our local park). Bless their hearts.

If I was a newbie, I would use a TA in a heartbeat, though! Wasted time down there is wasted money.

I only use a TA that can get me a deal Disney can't OR can get me a deal before Disney releases theres. That way I don't have to search around. Last year I paid around $200 a night for BC and Poly. They release their agency exclusives very early also. Way before Disney releases their discounts. I wanted to go during Jersey Week one year and they had those discounts released about 10-12 months ahead.

I ONLY use them to book it for me and set up DME. I set up my own FP+, flights and ADR's.

Last edited:
We use a TA every time we book. But, not so she can do all our planning, only for the rare occurrence if something was to go wrong during our trip, such as a flight cancellation for our flight home. All I would have to do in that case is to make a quick call to our TA, and she takes care of the rest. The last thing I want to be doing while on vacation is trying to find replacement flights, or anything else that would take significant time away from vacation.

It doesn't cost us any more than if we were to book on our own, so it's definitely good piece of mind.

Happy travels.

We use an agent (Dreams Unlimited Travel) mainly because then we don't want to be on hold with Disney on the promo release date. Also, we would only book directly so it doesn't cost us anything additional to use a TA and it is nice to support someone's business.
When I have friends who are booking I always recommend they use a TA, less stress on me to make sure they know all the little things about planning a Disney vacay.

I've used the same TA for several years. I've met her in person, along with the agency owners. We are Facebook and real-life friends. I feel very comfortable with her managing my Disney vacations. Saves me from having to do the work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter