Travel agent vs DIY??

I think that TAs are like a relationship - you have to date a few before you find the right match LoL.

I know a few people who have travelled to WDW and literally have no clue what they are doing and would certainly need that level of hand holding and would NOT get MDE and FP no matter how much you try to explain. I think that most TAs are kind of used to dealing with people that aren't really used to WDW. Obviously DISers are a bit different. I think it's a good idea to clarify what you need from that agent.

My TA is perfect for me and knows how much control I like and how much help I like. so we make a good team - but I wouldn't think she would be right for everyone.

I am WAY to obsessive to let someone else control my MDE. It makes me shiver just to think about it!

This is me too. Someone else planning my trip would NEVER happen, I'm far too much of a control freak. To me, the planning is half the fun.

If she gave you access to the MDE, nothing would stop you from changing the password, locking her out, and then cancelling her and going it alone. It's protecting her interests. Terrible TA, but that's life.

I am using a TA this time, but we established ahead of time that I'd have an MDE acct, full control, and he helps me w whatever I need. It's great. Totally helpful, not restrictive. I would not cancel on him even if I found a better deal, it's just been a great experience.

I would tell her you'll do the MDE stuff and never deal w them again. No, it's not a lot of work... and since you seem to want to do it, you should do it. It's your vacation!

I agree. This is exactly what is going on. And you can be sure, if you cancel your trip, she will cancel everything in that MDE account. FP+ would go away anyway, but ADR's remain even when a trip is cancelled. It sounds like she has been burned before with doing a lot of planning and then people canceling which means she makes no commission. Unfortunately, that's the name of the game in the TA business.

I'm glad you took control of the account. I work in the travel industry and deal with Disney almost exclusively. It is absolutely ridiculous that she made this an all or nothing situation for you. It should be an all (your all!) or shared situation, with you having the ability to change your password whenever you like. A good Disney TA will help as much or as little as needed for a client, but the TA should not have exclusive access to a client's MDE account. Disney actually doesn't want TA's working in client's MDE accounts as they want you to be able to navigate the system when you are on site. Personally, I think a shared situation is ideal, IF the client wants assistance, but the TA should not have exclusive access to that account and the client should be able to take control of MDE whenever they like.

I'm glad you took control of the account. There are a lot of great Disney TA's out there. Unfortunately, you got a dud, IMHO.

Its fine to use a TA, but you need to control your own MDE account. Is she going to pick a pin number for you too? I don't think so.

If she gave you access to the MDE, nothing would stop you from changing the password, locking her out, and then cancelling her and going it alone. It's protecting her interests

One thing you should keep in mind. Even if you take over the MDE and change the password, the TA still "owns" the reservation. If you need to make any changes in stay dates or want to upgrade or downgrade or apply any discounts, it will have to be done by her. Disney does this to protect TAs. I would still take charge of the MDE, but I would still maintain a good relationship with the TA.

Oh yes, I'm definitely planning to stay with her - she's done a lot of work for us so far, and I wouldn't cancel at this late date. I'm happy to let her keep charge of the room reservations, I just want to know my FP+ info :earsboy:. Waiting to get the MDE login info today. I think this process has shown me I'm WAY more of a control freak than I realized! :rotfl2:

I know a few people who have travelled to WDW and literally have no clue what they are doing and would certainly need that level of hand holding and would NOT get MDE and FP no matter how much you try to explain. I think that most TAs are kind of used to dealing with people that aren't really used to WDW.

Yep, that's me!!! All these MDEs, ADRs, EMHs, RDs, QSs, TSs, FPs, LMNOPs, QRSs, TUVs, confuse the heck out of me. My thought is...why does a WDW vacation have to be such a production?!?! However, it appears die hard Disney fans are really into it.

I'm STILL trying to figure out what "Wishes" is...a fireworks show? A parade? A place where you throw coins in the water and make a "wish"? LOL

I don't like planning my vacations like that. So, I'm seriously considering using a travel agent to do all that crap for me. I just want to take my kid to Disney, watch him have the time of his life and make special memories with him. LOL

I am not a TA although I have thought about it several times. I have helped plan numerous friends trips from beginning to end and I would never even think of having complete control over their MDE account. The fact that the TA has that control would stress me out.

I give my TA access to our MDE account, not the other way around. She can take care of initial booking, dining reservations, search for discounts, etc. I do FP+ myself.

Speaking as a control freak, this TA arrangement would NOT work for me. I don't trust anyone to plan for us better than I can.

I should add that I have only used a TA once in my entire life!! We're using a TA to book SOME of our stuff for our DL trip for the Star Wars Half in Jan. And this was only because they had access to rooms before Disney released them to the general public, and I needed them to grab one last Rebel Challenge for us.

That said, I would not consider having a TA book things like FP for us. Too many variables, too many preferences they might not be aware of wrt times, spacing, etc. No way I'd have a TA CONTROL my MDE account. That would be a non-starter for us. But I am certain that some people have a great experience doing it this way...

I use a TA to book my room and then handle the FP+ and dinner reservations myself. It gives a friend who is a Disney TA business and gives me an additional avenue to ask questions. I had a TA for my trip in June who booked the original package and then applied the discount to it when it came out. I went in and did my own FP+ and dinner reservations and never had to give the TA my MDE login credentials. The TA would have done those reservations for me but I'd rather do them myself.

There was no disadvantage to using the TA and it is someone I personally know so communication was never a problem.

That's very odd behavior from your TA.

I'm a TA, I've worked for the same company for 7+ years, and I've taken numerous trips to WDW and have done the College Program. I book a ton of Disney, but in my experience my travelers come to me for ease of the "big stuff" - the Disney package itself and watching for sales (my company is typically notified a day before) and re-booking on their behalf with that sale, monitoring airfare and I do book special even tickets. But when it comes to ADR's and FP+ reservations there are so many nuances that most of my travelers tell me they'll take care of that on their own. If it's a family's first trip, we'll set up an appointment and come up with a day-by-day itinerary, I'll recommend restaurants based on their preferences and if they insist I'll make their ADR's but that's typically not the case. I've never done FP+ reservations for any travelers.

I'm sure everything is fine with your reservation. Just really, really strange for a TA to not tell you your FP+ times, etc.

Plus, using a TA keeps local businesses in business :)

I used a Disney travel agent twice. The first time, all they did was make the room reservations, which I could have done myself. They didn't do our flights because we were AP holders and weren't purchasing a package. Then she told us that WE had to make ADRs, FP+ reservations and room requests ourselves. I don't mind doing it (when I can find time), but I was under the impression that their job was to accommodate us with those exact things. The SECOND time we tried a new travel agent and had an identical experience! So I canceled our reservation through him and ended up taking care of everything myself, which I was going to be doing anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter