Transportation questions

jaberwock

Mouseketeer
Next April (yes I am a crazy early planner!) we are taking a cruise on the Magic followed by 6 days at the Wilderness. We will be a group of 8 and usually get a rental car when we are at WDW. My question is what will be the most economic way to do this? It seems like a little bit of a waste of time to get a transfer back to MCO to pick up a rental car and it looks expensive to pick up in one place and drop off in another. Anyone else have experience with this? I am figuring we would need two small cars or one 8 passenger minivan.

there are several rental car locations on WDW property. one at the swan/dolphin, one at the hyatt i think in DTD and one at the hess station. I think they are Avis or Hertz and hte one at the Hyatt is Dollar.

How are you getting from MCO to the port and back? DCL bus transfers are $35 per person each way, or $560 round trip for the eight of you. It would be much cheaper to rent a car, even if you have to pay to park it at the port. Or do two one-way rentals, whichever is cheaper.

Are you flying in the day before your cruise? Some Port Canaveral hotels offer a park and cruise deal where you can leave your car at the hotel and catch the hotel shuttle.

Thanks guys, yes we are planning on flying in the day before the cruise. It seems like the best bet is to rent a car and park it.

Costco will have some really great deals from time to time if you're a member. You need to keep checking their website up until you leave. We changed reservations probably a half dozen times. Every time a cheaper quote would appear we would drop the previous res and grab the new on.

Thanks guys, yes we are planning on flying in the day before the cruise. It seems like the best bet is to rent a car and park it.

I would price out two one-way car rentals. One for the day you need it pre-cruise, and one for the longer stay post-cruise. There are many rental agencies in the Port Canaveral area and they have shuttles to/from the cruise terminal.

I think doing it that way would be cheaper than renting it for the entire time and paying to park it while you are on the cruise. Since you are a group of 8 you might want to look into the price for two sedans, rather than one large van.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter