transportation for land and sea

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
I am planning a 4 night Dream cruise for February 2018. My plan right now is to fly into MCO on a very early morning Friday flight and spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the parks, go to the port for our cruise monday - friday and then friday stay at BWV for one final day at Epcot before flying home on Saturday.

I am not a bus person and don't want to take ME because we have so little time at the parks. On my last trip with the same fly in/fly out schedule I rented a car. It was less than $200 for a midsize SUV for 8 nights and we drove straight to MK on our first day... it worked out great, we were in the park by 11:30am. I would consider taking a towncar if it made sense as well. I am hoping to stay at either the Poly or BLT for the first 3 nights of our trip (not my home resort so not sure) and then as I said BWV for the last night there.

So the way I see it, my options are:
Rent a car (for about $200, I am assuming I can at least rent a smaller car for that much if I need to) and park it at the port (about $80) for a total of $280 + gas. I can get everywhere I want as early or late as I want and can maybe find something cheaper than $200 (If I rented a regular car I would have saved about $30).

Take a town car from the airport to WDW - $130 + $26 tip and take Disney transfers to the port, $70 (there are just two of us). This option is $226

Take towncar from the airport to WDW - $130 + $26 tip and take town car to port, another $280 +56 = nearly $500. as luxurious as that sounds, no way.

There are only two of us (myself and my son) so I guess it is between option 1 and option 2. It's only a 4 night cruise, this is my son's first cruise, so I am guessing we'd want to make the most of it... am I right in reading that if I take the cruise transfers basically we will miss out on lunch and exploring the ship early on and may not even get on the ship until more like 2:30-3pm? How do people feel about this - it might allow us to have another morning at the parks if we don't leave until more like noon... but then we'd be in the bus at lunch time basically with nothing to eat when we get there? And same in reverse, we'd kill a lot of time getting back to WDW whereas we could leave pretty early if I drove and parked at the port.

I am wiling to spend a little bit for my own comfort and control of my destiny... on a first cruise for my kid (I am castaway club gold but have not cruised since 2005) I had assumed I wanted to get to the port as early as possible, but isn't that a lot more line waiting? Maybe later to the port would be a good thing? I'm reading in some places that getting to the port later is more relaxed, no crowds etc... but I do think we would want to explore the ship and get lunch and isn't the kid club open house during that time too? even though I can book whatever I want in advance being CC gold... I still think I would want to get there early. I was thinking of an early breakfast at a resort character breakfast (either chef mickey's or 'ohana depending on where we end up) then heading on out to the port.

I'm just really having a hard time figuring out which way would be better and be the better balance. Also are there any cheaper than $80 for 5 day satellite parking places at the port?

Thanks!

I am planning a 4 night Dream cruise for February 2018. My plan right now is to fly into MCO on a very early morning Friday flight and spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the parks, go to the port for our cruise monday - friday and then friday stay at BWV for one final day at Epcot before flying home on Saturday.

I am not a bus person and don't want to take ME because we have so little time at the parks. On my last trip with the same fly in/fly out schedule I rented a car. It was less than $200 for a midsize SUV for 8 nights and we drove straight to MK on our first day... it worked out great, we were in the park by 11:30am. I would consider taking a towncar if it made sense as well. I am hoping to stay at either the Poly or BLT for the first 3 nights of our trip (not my home resort so not sure) and then as I said BWV for the last night there.

So the way I see it, my options are:
Rent a car (for about $200, I am assuming I can at least rent a smaller car for that much if I need to) and park it at the port (about $80) for a total of $280 + gas. I can get everywhere I want as early or late as I want and can maybe find something cheaper than $200 (If I rented a regular car I would have saved about $30).

Take a town car from the airport to WDW - $130 + $26 tip and take Disney transfers to the port, $70 (there are just two of us). This option is $226

Take towncar from the airport to WDW - $130 + $26 tip and take town car to port, another $280 +56 = nearly $500. as luxurious as that sounds, no way.

There are only two of us (myself and my son) so I guess it is between option 1 and option 2. It's only a 4 night cruise, this is my son's first cruise, so I am guessing we'd want to make the most of it... am I right in reading that if I take the cruise transfers basically we will miss out on lunch and exploring the ship early on and may not even get on the ship until more like 2:30-3pm? How do people feel about this - it might allow us to have another morning at the parks if we don't leave until more like noon... but then we'd be in the bus at lunch time basically with nothing to eat when we get there? And same in reverse, we'd kill a lot of time getting back to WDW whereas we could leave pretty early if I drove and parked at the port.

I am wiling to spend a little bit for my own comfort and control of my destiny... on a first cruise for my kid (I am castaway club gold but have not cruised since 2005) I had assumed I wanted to get to the port as early as possible, but isn't that a lot more line waiting? Maybe later to the port would be a good thing? I'm reading in some places that getting to the port later is more relaxed, no crowds etc... but I do think we would want to explore the ship and get lunch and isn't the kid club open house during that time too? even though I can book whatever I want in advance being CC gold... I still think I would want to get there early. I was thinking of an early breakfast at a resort character breakfast (either chef mickey's or 'ohana depending on where we end up) then heading on out to the port.

I'm just really having a hard time figuring out which way would be better and be the better balance. Also are there any cheaper than $80 for 5 day satellite parking places at the port?

Thanks!
We prefer the DCL transfers from resort to port. The pick up window at the resort is anywhere in the 10:45-12:30 window. And it takes about an hour to get to the port. If you have an early pick up you might not be able to go anywhere that morning. You won't know your specific pick up time until the night before, when you receive a letter in your room telling you what time to have your bags ready for pick up (usually 8:00) and when/where to check in for the bus. And that's another plus - DCL will handle your checked bags from your resort room directly to your room onboard the ship.

If you drive yourself, or use a private service, you could arrive by 10:30 (when the port opens). But, unless your Port Arrival Time is 10:30, you may be asked to wait until your PAT to enter the terminal. One note - private transportation (not rental car) services often won't drop you off until after 11:00. Your boarding number that you get when you check in at the port is tied to your PAT, also. So you could enter the terminal early, check in, but still wait until your number is called (watching others arrive after you -at their correct PAT- board before you do.

Since boarding doesn't start until 11:30-11:45, you're not going to be on the ship until 11:45-12:00 at the earliest. The "sweet spot" for arriving (IMO) is around 12:15-12:30. That's after the "gotta be first on" crowd has cleared the terminal, and before the resort buses start arriving. Open Boarding is generally called around 12:30-12:45 so chances are you can check in and board immediately.

Lunch in Cabanas is typically served until 3:00. And the poolside food services close at 3:30 for the muster drill. Chances are you'll find something to eat.

Given what you've said, I'd go for the car. You don't mind driving, and it gives you the most flexibility. Plus, if unexpected things come up (delays, etc.), you have more options.

I agree with Shmoo, getting there at noon or slightly after is ideal. But this way, you can adjust on the fly depending on how things are going that morning. As for eating, it's a cruise ship. There will be food. Not to worry.

Trying to understand if you are comparing things on an equal basis. I'm assuming that the rental car you are keeping for the whole time so that would cover your transportation from airport to resort to port to resort to airport. (You also need to factor in a small amount -- I think about $10 roundtrip -- for tolls to/from port). But in option 2 and 3, I think your totals are only airport to resort to port. I know staying at WDW you can get DME from resort to airport but you didn't factor in the $70 you would need for DCL transfers port back to resort. (DCL transfers are $35 per person each way).

So the way I am seeing it Option 1 and 2 are about the same cost. So in your situation, I would opt for the rental car. It gives you the flexibility I think you are looking for. (For our trips, we just do DCL transfers for convenience but we don't care about what time we get on the ship.)

If you take the DCL transfers, I wouldn't count on getting on the ship before 1 pm (if you are on an early bus, it's a bonus) but we have been on several that have gotten us there closer to 1:30 (we were picked up around 11:45-12 but we were the first stop and needed to make 3 other stops before heading to the port). The last time we did transfers, our meet time was 12 noon but there were two buses at our resort. The first people on filled the first bus and left directly to the port. We were on the second bus so by time we boarded it was closer to 12:30 and we still had to make 3 stops. We didn't arrive until about 2:30. So it's kind of a game of chance when you'll arrive with DCL transfers. (To give a positive story, we were twice on a bus that had an 11:30 pick up and we were the only resort, so we have arrived via DCL transfers at around 12:30.)

When we drive, we target getting to the port around 11:45. Most of the check-in crowd is already checked in, so lines won't be outrageous. There is a certain excitement in the terminal waiting for boarding to begin. So while we don't like waiting, we like catching part of that energy.

As far as lunch, as the pp said, they serve until 3-3:30pm so regardless of which option you choose, unless something goes really wacky, you should be able to grab something to eat once you get onboard.

Thank you, everyone. That is all super helpful and exactly the info I was looking for!

So it really sounds like the sweet spot is to arrive around noonish. This way we won't be there toooo early but not tooo late either. You have to request your boarding time as part of check in as well, correct? So I'd request a PAT of 12:15 or something? So we can have a relaxed morning with a not too early character meal and leave the resort around checkout time and maybe have time to stop at a liquor store for some wine for the boat too.

Also I did not realize that transfers were each way so that really does make the car rental seem to be the way to go - I will probably go economy this time even just because it will literally just be used for transport to airport and port and back to resorts and to airport again... I drove my other rental a lot more when I was at WDW for 8 days. I am REALLY not a bus girl, it is not enjoyable at all for me to put my arrival time in someone else's hands. I do not mind driving at all and it sounds like renting a car and parking it may end up the cheapest option of the ones that are acceptable to me anyway.

man it has been so long since I cruised I feel like I need to re-learn EVERYTHING. and I have never been on the dream, my last cruise was when it was just the wonder and the magic. Thanks for the help, the picture is a lot clearer right now. I searched but maybe did not know what to search for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter