Transitioning from walking to race walking.

windwalker

I need an Adventure
Transitioning from walking to race walking.

Several of our Wish members walk their half and full marathons. I want to offer those that are interested an easy transition from regular or "power" walking to efficient race walking. The advantage is that you can walk at a faster pace with less effort than you can with regular fast walking. You don't ever have to compete in judged race walking competitions to get the benefits of efficient walking.

Each week, starting tonight and then every Monday I'm going to give those that are interested an efficient walking step to work on when they walk that week. Then each week you will get another piece of the puzzle. You will lean something new to work on and continue to use what you have learned so far.

I will answer questions and offer individual tips to explain and clarify the techniques that I will present to you. We have another race walker in our group, Tracy who has offered her help as well. Tracy will be giving a slightly different view of the technique detail that I talk about each week. How well you can perceive a technique move will determine how successful you will be with the race walking. Having a couple of slightly differing views helps a lot since not everyone feels a move the same way.In addition I will post videos and commentary from accomplished race walkers and coaches.

This weeks focus is posture. Posture is extremely important to efficient walking. Gravity pushes down on us all the time and the most efficient way to move through gravity is with a straight up walking posture. Back straight, chin up and walk tall. Good posture also allows you to get more motion form your hips which translates to a longer stride.

This week when you walk concentrate on posture, back straight, chin up, walk tall. Try to get in at least two training walks before Monday.

Another good habit to get into right now is to stretch regularly, at least 3 times a week. Stretches for the back, different leg muscles, hips and groin are all very important. You will probably be sore for a while if you haven't been stretching regularly.

Lastly it's time to do some house cleaning. Make a deal with your self to stop drinking soft drinks and drink cold water instead.

Please respond to this post if your interested in learning to walk more efficiently. You can post your questions on the weekly thread or directly to Tracy or I on the Wish board or on Facebook.

Thanks for reading.

Dave pirate:

It is real nice of you and Tracy to provide this new tutorial for those wishing to move beyond their current limits. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Thanks.

John

I will add that Posture is very important to a more efficient and yet faster walk. Do a body check. starting from your head to your feet. Try to think of a straight line going from your head, shoulders, hips and feet. The CORE is very important to engage. Talking about the lower part of the abdomen - just velow the belly button. The pelvis area needs to be level, try to stand and think about this. You can practice by standing with your back to a wall. You will have a space usually behind your lower back. Place one hand on your lower belly area, thumb in your belly button and four fingers should be down toward the floor - now tilt your pelvis up. It's like your thumb doesn't really move, but your fingers should feel a upwards motion and your back should be closer to the wall. Try not to have too much curve (like an S) in your lower back - this will lead to soreness. The core should be very involved and you should feel your power coming from the center while other muscles are working, but yet the energy is coming up and out of your core. Just remember leveling out your core should not involve your butt muscle - don't squeeze!:guilty:

I run/walk but since I'm doing my 1st Goofy I may mostly walk the half (depending on time restrictions ;) ). I'm very interested in this information since I plan to continue racing as long as I am able. I suspect that understanding race walking will help me with that.

Thank you SO much for sharing your knowledge so generously!!!

Amanda

I run/walk and my walk portion is really hurting my pace. I will be very interested in hearing more and following this post!

Just returned from a 3 miler and practiced lesson 1. My pace improved already!!! Looking forward to learning how to walk more efficiently. Thank you!

yes, I am interested in learning more about this. I am building up miles, getting ready for the Princess, but would love additional coaching on speeding up. Between your tips and John's on the Princess walking thread, I will be set up nicely. Thank you!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I am very interested in this as well. I am planning to walk the marathon in January, so efficiency would be a very good thing!

Thanks
Brooke

I run/walk and my walk portion is really hurting my pace. I will be very interested in hearing more and following this post!

Just returned from a 3 miler and practiced lesson 1. My pace improved already!!! Looking forward to learning how to walk more efficiently. Thank you!

Wonderful!!! One of the big problems with budding race walkers is posture, indeed it was for me, the hradest habit I've had to break is leaning forward, especially when I'm getting tired. So that's why I decided to start with posture first.

As Tracy pointed out the core is indeed the beginning center of power and in future lessons we will dwell more on that. The Asian martial arts masters also look at the place Tracy was describing as the source of power.

Davepirate:

buckeyecinderella said:
i run/walk and my walk portion is really hurting my pace. I will be very interested in hearing more and following this post!!

+1

Thanks so much to Dave and Tracey for doing this! :flower3:

Like one of the previous posters I run/walk but the walking slows me down. I think this is going to help me to improve my pace.

I'm looking forward to walking more efficiently! :cool2:

I'm another interval runner and the walking slows my pace down a lot too. I can't seem to push my walking pace above 4.1. I'd love to change that!

I will be posting the next thread tonight with the next step. Has everyone that want's to practiced adding good posture to their walking? With each new thread I'll keep a running tab of all the previous steps, but each must be practiced if it's going to become a natural motion for you.

Dave:hippie:

Will you be posting a good race walking video for a visual reference of good form in action?

Thanks Dave and Tracy this is awesome starting to prepare for Dopey in January and I have another have mid Oct so this is perfect timing. I will start tonight since I just got back from vacation yesterday so might be a bit behind the rest of the group but will give it 100%

Kim

It was amazing to feel how your body lined right up where it should be when you put a bit of thought into posture. Worked great for me yesterday during my 10 mile training run. I feel great today. Thanks! :flower3:

Thanks so much to Dave and Tracey for doing this! :flower3:

Like one of the previous posters I run/walk but the walking slows me down. I think this is going to help me to improve my pace.

I'm looking forward to walking more efficiently! :cool2:

Taking a bit of a different approach, I've found I've been going faster overall when I stopped worrying about my walking pace. At least with Galloway, the primary purpose of walking is for recovery. That doesn't mean I ignore my walking it's just that my focus has changed. Walking efficiently is a good way of putting it. I want to walk at a comfortable pace using as little energy as possible so when I start running I can run strong.

Dave - Sorry about possibly hijacking the thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter