• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trader Sams, a good option for MK afternoon break?

DizDad513

Earning My Ears
I'll be at MK solo later in the month for a day and was thinking of heading to Trader Sams right at opening (4pm) to relax and have a drink (or 2). For those that have been, if I arrive on a weekday by 3:30 should I be able to get in and score a seat at the bar? Best drinks to order? What have your experiences been there? Thanks!!!

I have only been to the Trader Sam's at Disneyland so I cannot speak to the seating, but the Krakatoa is a tasty drink with fun special effects in the bar.

I'll be at MK solo later in the month for a day and was thinking of heading to Trader Sams right at opening (4pm) to relax and have a drink (or 2). For those that have been, if I arrive on a weekday by 3:30 should I be able to get in and score a seat at the bar? Best drinks to order? What have your experiences been there? Thanks!!!

Watching this thread as I'm heading to MK solo in November and was also planning on doing Trader Sam's as my break! I'm also thinking of getting there by 3:30pm. Report back?

Not necessarily. Sometimes there is a line at open. Right now, open lines are starting at 2:30/3 to try to get a wristband for the Ghost Tiki mug, and so they have a backup of 150 people or so at open.

If there isn't anything special going on, like the ghost tiki mug, you should be fine. There is also a patio you can sit on if you cannot get inside. However, we have not had to wait to get in on either of our last two trips.

We got there a couple weeks ago about 3:15 and we were 3rd in line. We got handed a pager and we could go anywhere on the first level of the poly. So we walked around and shopped and a little before 4 we headed back and there was bunch of people waiting. they buzz the pagers in order. So you could go early, grab a pager and then walk around so you don't just have to stand there :)
It was a great experience! Very fun!

Plus you could always sit outside if the line is too long

Assuning crowds aren't insane, I can definitely recommend Trader Sam's as a great afternoon break! We did Disneyland's Trader Sam's as a break after a morning & afternoon in the park and it was a fantastic rest (that gave us the energy to go back in and wait for Paint the Night)! I assume the same will apply to the Grog Grotto, which we have done but not as a mid-day break.

As for drinks, if you like the interesting flavors that tiki drinks always seem to include, you can't go wrong! Just be aware that a lot of tiki drinks use orgeat and/or Falernum, which are nut-based cordials.

My personal favorite, taste-wise, is definitely the Nautilus! But I don't think I can recommend it for one person ;) We split it amongst four and it was incredible, though. You can't go wrong with the Hippopota-maitai, either! Like I said, all the drinks are amazing.

Have fun! :)

I always found the Grog Grotto to have an hour + wait, but have several openings on the Tiki Terrace. The Tiki Terrace is very relaxing and there is usually live music playing. The best drinks are the Spikey Pineapple and the Polynesian Pearl. If you do want to take a break from the parks, I would definitely recommend Trader Sam's.

We walked right in about 4:30 on a Thursday in February. Honestly, it isn't the place for me. I am an introvert. There is too much going on and too cramped for it to be a relaxing spot. I will gladly try out the Tiki Terrace next time. If you are looking for relaxing and quiet, Territory Lounge is terrific! Enjoy a boat ride from the MK, explore the resort, and have a beverage at the bar. You will be refreshed and ready to return to the MK for evening fun.

Last edited:
It's a fun place. My friends and I did a monorail crawl when we were in Orlando for a conference. It's a tiny tiny little room. We did have to wait for a seat at the bar but it wasn't too long considering it was a Saturday night. In my opinion the drinks were only ordinary as far as taste but it's all about the atmosphere the sound effects and the staff interactions. If I had to sit outside I wouldn't go there.

I have a very well behaved 5 year old, she can come in before 8pm correct? How is the food? I have done the Tiki terrace and really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere.

A week and a half ago when we were doing a midday crawl of the monorail resorts, there was a line waiting outside Trader Sam's at 2:30. There's a reason TS opens at 11:30 in the morning at the Disneyland Hotel, and that line is exactly why. I can't imagine how crowded the Orlando version gets if people are willing to stand in a stuffy hallway for 90 minutes just for it to open. It needs better hours. Unless you're trying to visit in the evening, for the most part you can just pop right in to the DL version with a minimal wait.

A week and a half ago when we were doing a midday crawl of the monorail resorts, there was a line waiting outside Trader Sam's at 2:30. There's a reason TS opens at 11:30 in the morning at the Disneyland Hotel, and that line is exactly why. I can't imagine how crowded the Orlando version gets if people are willing to stand in a stuffy hallway for 90 minutes just for it to open. It needs better hours. Unless you're trying to visit in the evening, for the most part you can just pop right in to the DL version with a minimal wait.

The OP knows the opening time. Not the question asked. Not a helpful answer.
You seem to prefer DL's version. Good for you.

Watching this thread, heading to WDW end of Feb/start of March and the Grotto is a must do for me and my SO. We have 2 other people in our party and one is allergic to alcohol, so I would love to know peoples' experiences going there with a non drinking adult. And to reiterate what the OP asked: would 3:30 pm or so be ok to arrive for a casual afternoon drink?

It depends on the day. I went a couple times in September mid-week and had no trouble arriving at 3:30 and getting in right at opening. During busier times of year it could be more of a wait. One time we got there an hour early and there was nobody outside yet to take names/give pagers.

I have no experience going with non-drinkers, but there are non-alcoholic drinks available.

The OP knows the opening time. Not the question asked. Not a helpful answer.
You seem to prefer DL's version. Good for you.

The OP was asking for help gauging the potential for TS to be crowded at opening. I was the second person in the thread noting that a line occurs well over an hour before TS opens, which is absolutely relevant to the question asked. What isn't helpful is attacking other DISers. It's actually super obnoxious and doesn't have any place here.

Last edited:
I would definitely recommend it as a great break on an MK day! That's what I did a couple years ago & recently a couple months ago. The first time I went was not long after it's debut & I got there & waited in line at 3:30, no issues getting in for a seat at the bar. More recently, I went a couple hours after opening & lucked out getting a seat (not at the bar).

I'd think you'd be alright for a seat at the bar getting there at 3:30 on a weekday.

I've ordered the HippopotoMai-Tai, Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum & Pan-fried Dumplings which I thought were good.

Have fun & enjoy! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter