trackless rides with an ICD/S-ICD

Jtrem

Earning My Ears
Headed to WDW over summer and I was just recommended by my doctor to get an ICD (probably get an S-ICD). In looking into the newer rides since I last went (2019) , see that RoR, Remy and MMRR are all on trackless systems. I’ve read the trackless systems work on magnetized floors. Is this safe if have a defibrillator? had looked forward to these since can’t do roller coasters.
anyone have any issues or been on these rides?
Thanks

The information I’ve seen about the trackless attractions says they use small magnets to follow metal paths in the floor.

Disney has This FAQ about use of RF (Radio Frequency) technology in the parks, which does address that technology and defibrillators. Basically, it says to keep any medical devices at least 9 inches away from RF transmitters. It also suggests contacting the manufacturer of your device.

And on this page, they indicate:
« Common equipment, such as electric motors and radios, that produce electric and magnetic fields are utilized extensively throughout the world and also within our Resorts. These fields are generally no greater than you would experience in any urban environment or may be exposed to through common household appliances such as vacuum cleaners and hair dryers.
If you—or any member of your party—has questions regarding the above, you may speak with a Guest Relations Cast Member for details. »

There is not much more specific information about magnets on the Disney website, other than that Tomorrowland Transit authority accelerates magnetically using linear induction motors. But, it’s written more from a ‘look how modern we are’ standpoint than actually informing guests magnets are in use.

Headed to WDW over summer and I was just recommended by my doctor to get an ICD (probably get an S-ICD). In looking into the newer rides since I last went (2019) , see that RoR, Remy and MMRR are all on trackless systems. I’ve read the trackless systems work on magnetized floors. Is this safe if have a defibrillator? had looked forward to these since can’t do roller coasters.
anyone have any issues or been on these rides?
Thanks

I don't know what those are but people (like my son) with insulin pumps are told to avoid magnetic forces near the pump which they wear 24/7 so generally not taking it off for rides. I asked a looooong time ago about magnets at WDW and Robo responded: https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-rides-at-wdw-use-magnetic-forces.1342313/#post-16715068

Kind of interesting. My son has ridden everything at WDW multiple times over many years without issue. Of course the trackless rides weren't there until our most recent trip and he rode them all - some more than once - and didn't have issues. I've also not seen any reports of anyone having trouble with magnetic forces in rides affecting their pump. There's a Children With Diabetes conference at WDW every summer with hundreds of adults and kids who use insulin pumps going to the parks on the same days and never heard of a magnetic force problem.

You might want to message Robo directly - I still see posts by them here on the DIS - and ask if they know anything about the new rides. If your medical device is somewhat common (like insulin pumps) then I'd guess that there would be reports of issues or some signing saying not to ride it.... you would hope!

So, my mom has a pacemaker/defibrillator and I have an insulin pump. We both steer clear of the new scanners employed for security. She opts for the wand (she just has to cover her pacemaker with her hand per her cardiologist) and I have to opt for hand screening. That said, we both have ridden MMRR, RotR (Remy wasn't open in April when we went). My pump (a tandem t:slim X2) had zero issues. My mom's pacemaker also had zero issues (her device is less sensitive than my insulin pump and CGM but neither of us had any worries about it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter