TR | Tent Camping (with a baby)

Adorable baby. My husband showed me her photograph and I said how cute and she looks six months old. He re-read your post to find her age and said, "she's six months." Once a mother, always a mother! I loved what you wrote about her watching the Mickey Clubhouse and how she gets excited every time she sees Minnie. My husband and I, my adult son and wife are Disney fans. We're hoping to camp or stay at All Stars in December. Have fun.

What a brilliant idea @Roobear77! That is perfect! Just the right size and excellent air flow. No, she isn't pulling herself up yet. I think this will do. I have co-slept with all my kids; but since we will be sleeping on an air mattress and not a firm solid bed, and given the fact I will likely be a heavy sleeper with all the activity vacations bring, a safe spot for baby is a must!!!

I'm really trying to simplify this trip as much as possible. I won't be bringing the plastic dresser drawers due to lack of space, and have been trying to figure out what to do with close storage. I think maybe I will just use a couple laundry baskets at the end of the beds too.

Is Charlotte pulling herself up yet? If she isn't, why not a big laundry basket for her to sleep in? The plastic kind. It would have slats for air flow, a solid bottom. Fold up a blanket for some padding without making it too soft, and there you go.

Congratulation @lynzi2004!!! Our last trip I was 12 weeks - 15 weeks (I think) pregnant. It was a slow go as I was nauseous and tired. It was nice, I'm glad we still went, but I missed out on most of the rides and was in bed around 8 most nights due to fatigue.

I haven't tried it yet, but was reading on a camping blog of a lady using a dog bed for a "crib" in the tent. Well padded and warm! Might be an option!

Can't wait to read your report. We just found out we are expecting our 3rd and we opted to cancel our early February trip and wait till after the baby is born so we will likely be headed to Disney with a 6 month old next February! Have a great time, I will be living vicariously through you :)

Thank you @Bearikens! My vote would be for camping, but then again I'm biased;)

Adorable baby. My husband showed me her photograph and I said how cute and she looks six months old. He re-read your post to find her age and said, "she's six months." Once a mother, always a mother! I loved what you wrote about her watching the Mickey Clubhouse and how she gets excited every time she sees Minnie. My husband and I, my adult son and wife are Disney fans. We're hoping to camp or stay at All Stars in December. Have fun.

Yeah for the BOB strollers! I love the steal frame and shocks! Who would have thought to put shocks on a stroller?!! Bless them cause they crafted a perfect stroller for sure.

No, I don't have a pack n play. I used one for G&D, but opted not to get one with Charlotte. Which brings me to play time for her. Right now, she rolls around on her blanket in the middle of the living room floor. I will need a safe play area for her and was too considering a pack n play for outside play time. A minimal way to go about that would be to just lay a blanket on top of the sand cause she is not going to roll off it into unsafe areas. The squirrels have me worried about that. They are very curious creatures and worried they would get too close and then my brain goes all "mom crazy like" into a rabbit hole of the squirrel gets to close - she reaches out her arm - baby smells sweet - squirrel think she baby is food - squirrel bites baby - baby gets rabbies.....this was my exact thought process at her midnight feeding last night. If I got a pack n play, it would be great for outside playtime.

Yes bring the BOB. We had a single Bob 2006 model for 8 years I think. It was definitely worth every penny paid. That was the baby item I felt the saddest about selling. Lol. It even worked for 2 kids in a pinch when they were small. One person could sit in the foot rest spot.
Would the baby sleep in a pack and play? We had a compact, no frills one we found to use in the camper. Not sure if they still make it.

@cruising spud hello there! So glad my reports inspire you. Sure hope you make it down this year!

Melissa,

Although I am not a big poster, I have wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your "camping at Disney" posts.

Thanks so much for sharing your happy times.

We are considering going back to Disney sometime later this year. If we do-you inspire me to post.

She is beautiful!!! I can't believe it has already been a year since your last trip.

We were going last Sept when I was going to be 27 weeks. Had to cancel but I am glad because I ended up with some pelvis pains. BUT we are planning on really trying this year when this LO will be 8/9 months so I can't want to see how your trip goes.

We rented the City Mini from Apple strollers because we didn't have a good one. I LOVED it so if you don't want to lug yours there (save cargo space) it is worth it to get from there.

Can't wait to read your trip report! I would like to say that your other reports are what inspired me to camp at Fort Wilderness, in a tent ! We went in October for our 1st Disney vacation ever and left our camper at home. Drove down from Ky . Thanks for taking the time to show everyone how to do a Fun Family vacation. You kids are very blessed. An idea for a play area would be to get a small pool with a blow up ring, lay a towel or blanket in it for some padding. Hope your packing goes smoothly and your travels and trip are everything you dream of...

Melissa,

Not sure when you were planning on leaving for your arrival on the 17th. Hopefully it isn't until Monday when it's supposed to be in the 50s here. Tomorrow and Saturday are going to be a lovely ice storm from Springfield to S. IL.

j

Jim,

Thank you for thinking of us!

Please please please don't remind me of this ice storm :( I'm just pretending like it's not going to happen!!!

Hubby was up all night last night working on changing the oil in the van, airing up tires, rotating tires, putting on a new hitch harness, charging golf cart, airing up tires in golf cart, airing up tires in trailer, and finally bringing in the cart & trailer from our farm.

Today, I'm working on laundry & packing.

Later, we are Champaign bound for new eye glasses for hubby and to get the van cleaned up.

Tomorrow, will be a mega cleaning crazy day.

Sunday, after Mass, we plan to leave and drive about six hours south and get a hotel room.

Monday, we plan to drive a full ten hours leaving early and taking as many breaks as needed for the kids.

I would like to be just outside of FW Monday evening with a early check in on Tuesday.

I will keep you posted! Stay safe! Fingers crossed we can leave on Sunday.

Melissa,

Not sure when you were planning on leaving for your arrival on the 17th. Hopefully it isn't until Monday when it's supposed to be in the 50s here. Tomorrow and Saturday are going to be a lovely ice storm from Springfield to S. IL.

j

I drove in to work (downtown StL) this morning before it started. As of now, it's been a non-event as far as the roads around the hospital and the general metro area. South of St Louis had some issues early, but the traffic maps show things moving along normally now (2:30 Friday). I assume you'll be coming down I-57. Not sure how it is north of me, but it looks like east and south are doing better than west. It is also supposed to go above freezing overnight and shutoff most of the moisture tomorrow. By Sunday, it should be above freezing and fine.

Relax and don't worry about the weather. Focus on a lovely 17 hour trip with 3 kids :duck:and all the fun you are going to have.

j

Thanks Jim. We had a little ice this morning, but nothing that hindered our plans. I'm trying to finish up packing today and cleaning too. We likely won't be leaving after Mass tomorrow, too much to finish up. Probably leaving around 4 or 5 pm. I'm still hoping to drive about 5 or 6 hours. The good thing is, we can travel ice free!

Ed - thanks for the weather report. Accuweather is predicting the best forecast we have ever had in the past five years. Sure hope it's close!!!

Vince - we will be going very low key with our set up. Trying to simplify as much as possible with baby this trip. One tent, no TV.....will it work? Time will tell...

Charlotte here.

I'm hanging out in my Disney Princess walker helping my momma pack. I just can't wait to meet Minnie Mouse! Mom has been spinning me and getting me all ready to ride the Dumbos. I can't wait!
Xoxo
Charlotte
View attachment 215089

Charlotte must have one of those blue tooth keyboards to type out such a coherent post since her arms are so short. Amazing finger dexterity too at such a young age. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

Too cute, Miss Charlotte.

Probably leaving around 4 or 5 pm. I'm still hoping to drive about 5 or 6 hours. The good thing is, we can travel ice free!
Ya! Sometimes timing is everything. Have a nice trip down and we will be anxiously awaiting your TR.

j

We got on the road a little later than planned. I couldn't leave until the house was clean clean! With booking this trip just less than two weeks ago, the days have been crazy busy trying to prepare for the trip and deal with the new house and kids and well you know...The final day came and I still wasn't ready! I get high anxiety right before a trip and just can't bring myself to leave before eveything is clean and in its place. Anyone else like that? Or just me. Anyway, finally got the house clean and tiddy and we were on the road at 7:00 pm. We made it down to Pudukah KY and lodging at a Super 8. Something new for us, we got two adjoining rooms. That way everyone can have their own bed and rest up. The girls in one and the boys in the other :)

Well it's 12:30 and I best be gettting this little one to bed.

IMG_6466.JPG

Last edited:
Well I'm sure glad last night is in the past. The Daniels slept a solid six hours straight without interruption until I rang with a wake up call at 6:30. After the boys went to their room, Charlotte enjoyed herself having tummy time on the bed and playing with her toys. I love the way she curles her toes and kicks her little cubbie baby legs! I watched her play for a while and then got her settled down asleep about 1:30. I was surprised that Grace (in the second bed all to herself) was still wide awake. Her and I chatted girl talk for a few and then I fell asleep. Somewhere shortly thereafter, I was scared half to death when she leaned over at me, two inches from my face, and whispered Mom. Oh my! It took me a second to get back in touch with reality. She just wanted to tell me she needed a drink. Ok, so drink and then we're all back to bed. A few mintues later after I dose off........Mom (two inches from my face in a whisper)....ahh! Oh sweet Jesus! This time, she needed to go to the bathroom. This song and dance of me just falling asleep and her horror like whispers of terror into my ear continued on several more times thoughout the night. More drinks...more bathroom trips...can I watch tv...I'm hungry...can you scratch my back...Apparently, she just couldn't sleep. Finally, finally, at 4:27 I got her down after two bananas and a ten minute back scratch. I had a great night sleep from 4:30 - 6:30.

And now here we are...

Get us to Disney, Clark!!!

IMG_6487.JPG

IMG_6482.JPG

The night terror whisperer...

IMG_6478.JPG

Last edited:
How do you expect a girl to sleep when it's Disney time?!
I think G719 hit it on the head. Hopefully you were able to get a little sleep on the drive down today.

And I can't believe how big Daniel and Grace got since last year.

It's 8:30 pm here now. Hopefully you landed in another nice place for the night and no more whisper terrorists.

j

You're so right G719 & Jim!

Yesterday was a drive drive drive go go go day! We stopped in at a Cracker Barrel (don't ask me where, I was just a back seat child referee and baby entertainer). Breakfast for lunch it was yummy! The day and night were uneventful and I thank God for that. The kids did pretty good staying entertained and Charlotte did fantastic! We made it down just an hour outside of Disney and checked in around 10. I called ahead and Flippers pizza delivered literally two minutes after we got to our suite. Perfect timing! Dinner. Bed. Sleep! Everyone slept solid!!!

Up and at em at 6! Fort Wilderness here we come!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter