• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TR-Mission:Exploration of new worlds by Capt’n Wrongway Wendy-Complete

Aussie Wendy

DIS Veteran
Decided I'd start a new thread for my TR. Apologies but if I have to resize all the pics in Photobucket this TR will never happen so its oversize pics for now. I also got tired of the slow upload given the huge file sizes of each so cheated and uploaded via FB which means quality of images are very naff compared to originals.

For any newbies the crew:

Captain, Navigator, Communicator, Medical Officer: Me, age 52. Genetic in-built navigation system subject to intermittent failure during this mission resulting in the First Officer bestowing on me the dubious title of Wrongway Wendy (aka Wrongway Feldman in Gilligans Isd Google it) and threatening to take over the captaincy. Medical officers opinion this is the result of exposure to the menopause virus addling my mind and upsetting the circuitry.

First officer, Chief Engineer & Photographer: DH, age 53. Prone to grumpiness (possibly a result of living in confined quarters for too long.)

Chief Scientific Officer, Assistant Comms Officer, Helmsman and Yeoman (when able to excuse herself from research studies) - DD, age 21. While now travelling on independent explorations, signs up if the mission looks interesting. Joined this mission late due to unavoidable commitments.

The mission: To explore strange new places...to seek out new friends and reunite with old & to boldly go where we have never gone before.

[Goddarn it-forgot to start first TR post in new window for linking so it'll have to stay here.]

Mission Europe

Day 1: Destination Singapore: below

Day 2: Destination Singapore: Day 2 Race around Singapore Part 1
Race around Singapore Part 2
Race around Singapore Part 3

Day 3: Off to strange new lands: Arrival Disneyland Paris Part 1
Arrival Disneyland Paris Part 2
Arrival Disneyland Paris Part 3

Day 4: Tuesday: Exploration of Disneyland Paris Part 1
Exploration of Disneyland Paris Part 2
Exploration of Disneyland Paris Part 3
Exploration of Disneyland Paris Part 4

Day 5: Wednesday Paris the city Part 1
Paris the city Part 2
Paris the city Part 3 (returning to Disney Magic on Parade)
Paris the city part 4 (Magic on Parade)

Day 6: Au revoir to DLP Part 1
Au revoir to DLP Part 2
Au revoir to DLP Part 3 including Dreams
Au revoir to DLP Part 4

Days 7 - 9: Destination England: On the Fens

Days 10 - 13 Destination England: Post 2 Ware are we?
Post 3 Chelsea Flower Show Part 1
Chelsea Flower Show Part 2
Chelsea Flower Show Part 3
Post 4: Drenched

Day 14 Harry Potter Studios Tour Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9

Day 16 Off to Scotland Part 1
Part 2

Day 17 Lots of History Lessons Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Day 18 We're Knights of the Roundtable.. Part 1
part 2

Day 19 Haggis, hills and hights part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Day 20 Misty Moors

Day 21 Otters and monsters Post 1
Post 2

Day 22 Local and not so local wildlife Post 1
Post 2

Day 23 Raising a wee dram in farewell

Day 24 Hola Seville

Day 25 Our poor tired feet Part 1
Part 2

Day 26 Cold in Cordoba Part 1
Part 2

Day 27 Sumptuous Seville
Part 2
Part 3

Day 28 To Granada. Part 1
Part 2

Day 29 Writing our own tales of the Alhambra Part 1
Tales of the Alhambra Part 2
Tales of the Alhambra Part 3
Tales of the Alhambra part 4

Day 30 Mon 10th June Barcelona es mucho más
Part 2

Day 31 Gaudi Day
Part 2
Part 3

Day 32 There is a Sangria somewhere with my name on it Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Day 33 Montserrat Part 1
Part 2

Day 34 Farewell Espanya

Destination 1: Singapore

Stardate: Saturday May 11.

Captains Log:

We have a stowaway on board.

After examination confirmed non-threatening toy-form and allowed to accompany mission.

Arrived Singapore T2 after a pleasant uneventful flight with good food and service from the crew. Found the Singapore Airlines stopover desk just past McDonalds and were promptly whisked away to our hotel, the Peninsular Excelsior (replete with vouchers to sample, for free, a range of local attractions and food). This was the second lowest tier of hotel category available ($78/night) but the hotel was clean, with a safe, fridge, tea/coffee facilities and pool but not free wifi. Excellent location: walking distance to Raffles and the colonial area, Marina Bay, Chinatown and Boat Quay and 2 MRT stations close by (Raffles and City Hall).

Foyer and view of pool to left (the photographer neglected to take pics of hotel room-view was of a blank wall but at this price who cares).

After a bit of a stretch and refresh we headed out as we had a lot to accomplish on our mission in Singapore. First stop was the Singapore flyer. En route we passed the Padang, the original colonial cricket ground and still being used for cricket today-also hosting a big junior soccer championship.

The skyline is now dominated by the new Marina Bay Sands Hotel capped by the magnificent Sands Skypark with its infinity pool which is the boat shape you see on top but restricted to hotel guests (google it for some great images). Also capturing the skyline is the ArtScience Museum (shaped like a lotus flower or welcoming hand).

The Merlion relocated

Here are various shots from the Flyer which is one of the largest wheels in the world at 165m. You can see the trees and domes in Gardens by the Bay and the 100s of container ships waiting to dock. This was our first freebie (excluding the transfers from the airport)-value S$33 each. There is a walk-through area first called Journey of Dreams that has displays and A/V on the building of the flyer and symbolic stuff (images of dreams apparently) that were totally confusing-but I have since read about on the website. Too alien concepts for us I am afraid. The flyer itself was great though and as it was quiet perhaps (or their policy?), the capsules were not crowded.

One of the Journey shots

Duffy gets into the action

Looking north-east

Gardens by the Bay

The Bay in its entirety

DH was fascinated by the mechanics of how the cabins are moved.

Back at ground level and time for dinner at Food Trail@The Flyer. With our vouchers we got a plate of Hainanese chicken rice each but could have chosen from a wide range of goodies at similar prices, value S$5 each.

Half eaten

A view of the area (recreation of the old Hawker style areas of Singapore)

Sated and now with the sun set, we crossed the Helix Bridge with the goal to catch the 7.45pm performance of Rhapsody at Supertree Grove in Gardens by the Bay.

First we had to negotiate the labyrinthine Marina Bay shopping mall-memo the first two floors are actually B1 and B2 and do not have exits anywhere as they are in the basement-makes sense when you know their numbers! We headed up-here is a view:

And another looking down on the roller skating rink surrounded by one huge food court and crowds.

We followed walkway bridges across roads, through the inside of Marina Bay Sands Hotel and made it near but not quite into the Grove in time so stopped where we still had a view. This was totally beautiful. The trees lit up in sequence and the orchestral music carried you away. Afterwards we wandered down into the Grove itself to discover the musicians packing up-it had sounded live music but I wasnt sure but yes it was a full orchestra performing. When the trees are fully covered in plants they will be even more awesome.

The Flyer at night

Supertree Grove

From here we meandered along subtly lit paths. Found Dragonfly pond with some amazing reflections.

Also discovered some wonderful views in the Chinese Gardens but it was too dark for pics really.

The Skypark lasers for the earlier Wonder Full show

Finally made it, very hot (32o C and very humid of course) back to Marina Bay and with much confusion (and walking in circles up and down galleries) found the exit to the deck overlooking the Bay. Parched I parked DH, and ran off in search of sustenance-water and icecreams. Now wouldnt you think theyd be handy somewhere by the boardwalk? Nup. Finally, miles away it seemed, I discovered Information and a 7-11 simultaneously-purchases made, it was a long haul trying not to get lost to regroup.

Wonder Full, a fountain and light projections show was on at 9.30 and I arrived back just in time. Quote: Southeast Asias largest light and water show. To be honest, spoilt by Disney perhaps? I was disappointed. From this viewing spot you couldnt see the lasers but it was the best spot to view the projections on the water which seemed to show a theme of life from birth to death (lots of babies and couples hand in hand). The music was a recorded orchestra but did not appeal to me as much as the music of Rhapsody had. It seemed very short.

Waiting

The only pic it seems. DH recorded a segment of the show. They did play my favourite what a wonderful world.

Time to retrace our steps to the hotel and fall instantly asleep.

Captains Log summation: If in vicinity and it is being held, highly recommend attending Rhapsody. Carry copious provisions of water. Ensure directional devices are working. Be prepared for alien approaches to entertainment.

Oooh! Subbing in.

Just sit right back and youll tell a tale: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Did you know that the USS Excelsior was captained by Captain Styles? Pure style....like your TR.

Love the night time pictures. Very space age-trekkie indeed!

I'd have bet my life you would be no 1! Welcome aboard. Day 2 to go up tomorrow. Time for this little treckie to go to bed.

Stardate: Sunday May 12. (Pics all seem to look blurry but they aren't when viewed normally)

Captains Log:
Singapore awakens late on Sundays and breaky options were low. I breakfasted at Macca’s but DH declined. Wandered through Raffles Hotel:

And nearby Chjimes which is a renovated convent school from 1850’s. Mostly now bars and restaurants, the chapel is used for weddings but I think it is great they have preserved it.

In retrospect the plan for today should have been walk down to Boat Quay and use our free voucher for a boat ride then go to the Domes in Gardens by the Bay, or be quicker at the stopover desk and said yes to a free Universal Studios Pass (new and I wasn’t expecting it when she asked are you going to Universal? Silly me said no then I discover we could have had, I think, a free pass.)

What I did do was guide us down towards Chinatown and catch the MRT to Harbourtown and used our voucher for the cable car to Sentosa (value S$26 each). Stopped in the Harbourtown shops (another huge mall) for DH to fuel up and me to snack. On the cable car we had good views of all the, new to us, developments.

A cruise ship in port

View of Hard Rock Hotel and Universal tucked in the background

Marine Life Park

Approaching Imbiah Lookout.

At Imbiah we used our voucher for the luge ride (no pics as we both rode at the same time)-great fun. Value S$13 each. Same company that founded the luge ride at Coronet Peak in Queenstown. We walked across to the beaches which are lined with bars and cafes but decided it was just too hot to use our voucher option of either bike hire to cycle along the beach or an introductory Segway Ride (I couldn’t persuade DH on the latter which I would have liked-he was hot and cranky!) They had free open air trams that circled the beaches so we rode those around.

Then as I really wanted to visit the Domes in Gardens by the Bay, we headed back to Resortworld. Snapped this on the way past

And walked across the boardwalk back to the mainland.

Sentosa welcome

Artwork

View of the cable car

On the boardwalk travelators-so thoughtful!

Continued next post

Another MRT trip and we were soon in Gardens by the Bay.

First inside the canal mall in Marina Bay shopping centre

Walking through the Marina Bay Sands Hotel

Supertree Grove in daylight

Sculptures in Dragonfly Lake

Close up of the ‘trees’

Entrance to the Chinese Garden

I really liked this rock

A glimpse of the Indian garden

What I had forgotten was it was Mother’s Day and they had a tulip spectacular running for 2 weeks so picture a Disneyesque queue to trade our vouchers for free tix to both Domes. Should have come here first! Practised queuers, however, after about 30 mins we got our tix and headed into Cloud Dome first as time was marching on and this was my number 1. Value S$20 each. Some fun sculptures outside:

Cloud Dome was amazing-replicates the rare Cloud forests which now only cover 1.5% of the earth and contains a huge mountain. Lots of pics-here are a chosen few:

From the ground floor an elevator takes you up to the top and you walk down around and through the mountain.

Inside there is a stalactite cave (as well as some very good A/V interactive displays on the ecology of earth, human impact -global warming, shrinking of ice caps, human population etc).

In the Hidden Garden at the base

Continued as it is getting snarky with too many pics

Part 3 of day 2

Decided we had time to also quickly view the Flower Dome-really needed much more time though to see all the speciality gardens. My main focus (and everyone else’s) was the meadow which was displaying tulips. They were advising people in the queue for tix that if you were a local come back in a week when the next main blooming would be on but it was still good. We didn’t join the huge lines to walk through but contented ourselves with views from the edge. The scents were divine.

In the cacti garden

A weird miniature tree

Sculpture we liked

Boabab trees

Detail in the flower meadow

By now it was after 6pm and we had to get back for our airport pick-up. No time for the boat ride up-river as I had hoped. I had a quick race through the gift store-so much gorgeous stuff-probably good job I didn’t have time to linger! Bought a T shirt and caught the MRT back to the hotel, collected our luggage and were whisked back to the airport. This time a bit of touring around other hotels for pick-ups unlike our drop-off which was just us but not too bad. Saw a couple of the Tier A hotels on the package that I wouldn’t want to have stayed at! Tucked into Subway for dinner.

Log summation: Gardens by the Bay and the Domes are a must on any planetary traveller’s itinerary. Cable cars and luge rides are great fun. Watch out for tricksy shopping malls who hide transport entrances below hotels. Make sure you have been preparing for lots of walking in hot, humid conditions before you go.

NB the stopover package also included free entry to the Zoo, the Night Safari, the Orchid Garden, Jurong Bird Park, tons of museums, the Singapore airline HoHo bus, several river rides, more food options-I wish we could have tried the free tasting platter from Gluttons Bay but no time Sunday as it was quite a walk from here to the Gardens. The second night (or more stay) was quite a bit dearer but if you were doing a lot I think would still be worth it-you would have to cost it out.

WOW! What great pictures. It's been years since I've been to Singapore and now you've got me thinking. Sentosa looks lovely and completely developed now. Did you enjoy it?

Great pics - it all looks so clean and beautiful! We may brave the humidity and visit one day!

WOW! What great pictures. It's been years since I've been to Singapore and now you've got me thinking. Sentosa looks lovely and completely developed now. Did you enjoy it?

Sentosa was 100% better than our last visit in 1997 when it was old and tawdry. Now its fresh and green despite all the development. The beaches were heaps nicer. Though it was a rushed visit I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad place to stay for eg 3 nights whilst visiting Universal and the beach before eg 3 days in town. Also we really liked the Marina Bay area-reminded me of the Darling Harbour development in Sydney (which we also like). The Gardens are stunning.

I wish we had had longer to visit some other areas and see what Chinatown looks like now etc. We had a half day stopover in 2010 but spent it just visiting the zoo which was gorgeous. I have heard Jurong Bird Park is now pretty run down but the Botanical Gardens and Orchid gardens are still good.

Yes I think Singapore has changed a lot and you'd enjoy a visit again. We really liked it and we love the great tasting cheap hawker food. For me the highlights from our experiences this time were Rhapsody, Gardens by the Bay both day and night, and the visit and activities on Sentosa. Only downer the heat and humidity (but partly made worse as we only had limited clothes with us as our bags were checked all the way through) and getting so hopelessly lost in Marina Bay shopping mall. It sounds so silly but both days we seemed to get turned around and confused by all the levels and off-shoot galleries. It also helped when we learnt the MRT was accessed via stairs down from the hotel foyer not the shopping centre.

Great pics - it all looks so clean and beautiful! We may brave the humidity and visit one day!

Really no worse than Darwin or Cairns...see my reply to PIO re inadequate appropriate clothing that made us feel it more plus coming straight from a bout of cold weather at home. It is worthy of a visit. I haven't been to Hong Kong but different to eg KL or Vietnam.

Sentosa was 100% better than our last visit in 1997 when it was old and tawdry. Now its fresh and green despite all the development. The beaches were heaps nicer. Though it was a rushed visit I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad place to stay for eg 3 nights whilst visiting Universal and the beach before eg 3 days in town. Also we really liked the Marina Bay area-reminded me of the Darling Harbour development in Sydney (which we also like). The Gardens are stunning.

I wish we had had longer to visit some other areas and see what Chinatown looks like now etc. We had a half day stopover in 2010 but spent it just visiting the zoo which was gorgeous. I have heard Jurong Bird Park is now pretty run down but the Botanical Gardens and Orchid gardens are still good.

Yes I think Singapore has changed a lot and you'd enjoy a visit again. We really liked it and we love the great tasting cheap hawker food. For me the highlights from our experiences this time were Rhapsody, Gardens by the Bay both day and night, and the visit and activities on Sentosa. Only downer the heat and humidity (but partly made worse as we only had limited clothes with us as our bags were checked all the way through) and getting so hopelessly lost in Marina Bay shopping mall. It sounds so silly but both days we seemed to get turned around and confused by all the levels and off-shoot galleries. It also helped when we learnt the MRT was accessed via stairs down from the hotel foyer not the shopping centre.

Coincidentally, I had coffee with a friend of mine this morning and she was telling me that they were heading to Singapore for a week later in the year. She's booked in to one of the resorts on Sentosa (the Island of Fun) for the entire time. She plans to head into the city from Sentosa.

I'll be interested to see what she thinks when she gets back.

(And I also remember Sentosa as being really sad as well. It was such a pleasant surprise to see how its grown up in your pictures. :thumbsup2)

Welcome home Wendy.

Wow you really had an actioned packed 2 days in Singapore!

After all of Duffy's posing did he get a chance to look out the window or is he scared of heights? :confused3 The photos of the sculptures and Cloud forests are amazing!

Duffy hogged the window on the way to Singapore but got a bit bored looking at clouds for too long-though until I told him otherwise, he kept thinking it was snow he could walk on-he hasn't seen any snow yet. We didn't have a window seat Singapore to Paris and it was way past his bedtime so he slept.

No window is my big bug bear as DH doesn't like stepping over people or strangers stepping over him so wants an aisle seat and on a big flight that means two in the middle or the last row of economy on a smaller plane. ONE day maybe we will afford Business class! I like a window seat '*** I lean against it and sleep and like looking out. Coming back we flew over (what I think was) Vesuvius-clearly a volcano. Have to see how the pic comes out. DD had the prime seat (being 3 I could go for a window row but then DD usually nabs it anyway).

Great start Wendy - Singapore sounds so much better than when I visited - too many years ago to really count!! The pictures look really good too. Looking forward to reading more!!:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter