TR: April 10 - 15, 2011

starry_solo

DIS Veteran
Sis and I rented a reservation at VGC (studio) for this week (Sunday night through Thursday night). It was a bit strange getting used to no daily mousekeeping, but we found we enjoyed it because we didn't have to pack everything up so they could clean.

4/10: We arrived at VGC at approximately 10 am. Checked in and gave our refrigerated items to bell services to store. I tried to make a specific room request but because they were fully booked, was not allowed to do so :( Our check-in guy (Rudy) said that the villas would be ready by 4 pm. But, I gave him my cell phone number and at 11:45 am, received a text message that the room was ready. However, as Sis and I were in line somewhere, we didn't actually get to the villas until about 2:30/3 pm. We ate somewhere in the park (I forgot, but I think it was at Stagedoor Cafe). Dinner was back at the hotel (still had that sourdough Mickey to eat + soup)

We considered pulling the car up to the front to unload the bags but decided against it. So, we went to self-parking and lugged our bags (too many for a 5-night stay) and brought it to our villa (room 4510).

We then headed to DCA to get a Mickey Mouse shaped sourdough bread to have with our clam chowder. They were able to cut it and while doing so, another cast member was joking about cutting Mickey and saying things like "off with his head!" He must have watched Alice often *lol*.

Back in the room, I looked at the schedule of events and we signed up for Power Walk through DCA with Sally (Monday), How to Draw Mickey, again with Sally (Wednesday), and Washcloth Creations with Mousekeeping (Thursday). I eventually signed up for another Power Walk with Dave but he walks even faster than Sally and I couldn't keep up!

We thought about going to watch Pirates 3-D but didn't and stayed in the room for the rest of the night. Pooped from the day.

4/11: We got up early to Power Walk in DCA before it opened. We met Sally at the Grand Gate at 7:25 am and were let in the park at 7:30 a.m. After the walk, we rested for a bit before heading into DL. We spent most of the day walking around, riding Buzz Lightyear, pin trading, etc. We got our highest scores of the week on this day. By the end of the week, we were able to complete a set of the Hidden Mickey 2011 Alphabet series (26 letters!). We went on Thunder Mountain and Indiana Jones as well.

For lunch, we tried Woody's Round-Up BBQ behind Thunder Mountain. It was yummy and we got to bring our leftovers back to the hotel (for dinner and some other meals for two more days!). We wanted more ribs than chicken but they kept on bringing us ribs & chicken, until the last bucket was just ribs :)

4/12: As this was magic morning, we got up extra early again (no sleeping in for us on vacation!). We headed straight to Fantasyland where the wait for Peter Pan's Flight was already 30 minutes so we skipped it. Instead, we rode on Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland and the Matterhorn before 9 am. We then headed to Buzz Lightyear where we met someone from Utah who had never been on the ride before (her son loves Toy Story and was enchanted at the life-size Buzz explaining our mission). I don't recall where lunch was but dinner was back at the hotel (didn't want to miss NCIS).

4/13: I went to Power Walk again this day, this time by myself. Dave walked even faster than Sally and I couldn't keep up. I was so far behind that when the group turned the corner, I lost them (but then, I had to wait for a distracted Disney construction worker who was backing his truck up slowly while talking to a co-worker who was standing outside the truck). Since I didn't want to get run over (had to sign a release of liability in order to participate), I waited. Fortunately, this was towards the end of the walk near Grizzly River Rapids so the group waited for me. It was a completely different route than Sally took on Monday. After getting back to the room, I got sis up and we leisurely ate breakfast since we had signed up for the 10 am class of "Learn to Draw Mickey." We were provided a pre-drawn circle with the horizontal and vertical lines already inserted. After drawing Mickey, we colored him in and wrote our name and address on the back so Mickey could autograph the pictures and they would be mailed (FYI, they beat us home!). After the class, we ate lunch (soup & ribs) before heading into DCA. Came back to go for a dip in the pool (ok, a few slides down Redwood Creek slide into the pool). I started feeling bad later that afternoon/evening with a sore throat :P

4/14: This day, we actually slept in. Headed straight for the gift shop to purchase some sucrets (18 throat drops for $5). Even though it was magic morning, we had signed up for the washcloth creations class at 8:30 a.m. We arrived there promptly but it started late (at about 8:45 a.m.) because the class is usually held in Pinocchio's Workshop but it was moved to the Hearthstone Lounge. We made a rabbit (one washcloth), a heart (one washcloth), and a turkey (three washcloths) and were allowed to keep them all. Afterwards, we headed into DLR for Buzz Lightyear and pin trading.

A friend joined us in the afternoon so we headed over to DCA, then into the room. We went on the slide again and Sis injured her ankle on a grate on the floor of the pool. We headed back to the room so she could ice it.

We rested for a bit before heading into DCA for dinner at Wine Country Trattoria for the prix fixe World of Color dinner. I had the Italian Wedding Soup (broth with pasta & meatballs) and Roasted Beef Tenderloins entree. Sis had the Italian Wedding Soup and Fish/Catch of the Day (Halibut). Friend has the Minestrone soup and herb crusted/roasted chicken. Of course, we gave each other a portion of the food so we could taste it all! After paying, we received our tickets for the 10:15 p.m. show of WOC. We went to the Sonoma Terrace area to stand and wait, until we were led into the reserved viewing area (2nd row, towards the left/middle of the area. Good area to be in. Originally not sure if it's worth the price, but it is better to only have to wait 20-30 minutes than it is to have to wait over 1.5 hours to get inside the viewing area (to then have to stand for at least another 30 minutes). After the beautiful show (2nd time I saw it), we headed back to the villas for some much needed rest.

4/15: We ate the character breakfast buffet at the Storyteller's Cafe (sis' ankle still hurt and we didn't want to walk very far). As usual, very yummy and we saw the two bears from Brother Bear, Chip, Dale, Meeko, and Rafiki. I do wish that hot chocolate made with milk was included in the price (rather than the one made with water), but c'est la vie.

Before breakfast (I just made the reservations an hour earlier), I took all the bags to the car and our refrigerated items were given to bell services to place in the fridge. I really liked seeing the bill with all those zero amounts due!

We left by 11 am-ish and got back home by 1 pm (we're local, but wanted to get away for the week). Tired and pooped, but still having to unload the car. If I can figure out how to upload the pictures for the dinner, I will!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter