• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toy Story 4 - What did you think? Spoilers WELCOME

I'm reading because I don't care if I see spoilers since I don't plan to see it. TS3 came out the year my son was leaving for college. Now this one the year my daughter is leaving. I'm just not emotionally ready to see either one! 😆

I'm reading because I don't care if I see spoilers since I don't plan to see it. TS3 came out the year my son was leaving for college. Now this one the year my daughter is leaving. I'm just not emotionally ready to see either one! 😆
If it makes any difference to you, TS-4 is really, really not that kind of movie. It's a cute show and kids will like it but it's not tender or heart-string tuggy at all in the way TS-3 was. I think that's why so many people are disappointed. :(

DH and I liked it a lot, but it definitely felt like a movie for adults that happened to be animated, along the same vein as Inside Out. I'm not sure small kids would connect with it much.

DH and I liked it a lot, but it definitely felt like a movie for adults that happened to be animated, along the same vein as Inside Out. I'm not sure small kids would connect with it much.

I’d agree with that. I saw it with my 2, 3 and 5 year olds. I think they liked Secret Life of Pets 2 better than this one. TS4 was definitely a better film than that, but I think it was a bit boring for my group compared to the rest. I’m not knocking the film for that. Good think we had a giant bucket of popcorn and I had my lollipop stash in my purse.

It was ok, certainly not the best of the TS movies. I liked Bo and Gabby, but hated Forky and the meh ending.

I am surprised by all of the negative reviews as well. Not because I liked the movie (which I did not!), but because I am wondering how they could have missed the mark with pre screenings. Especially on a movie that takes years to make. And I also have been wondering if it would have gone a different direction with John Lasseter at the helm.

Disboards.com seems to be harder on this movie then the general public. 98% critics score and 95% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes

My wife, daughter and I did like the movie. I do agree that it isn't as good as the first 3, but I still like it. I think a big reason they made it (if they were thinking that far ahead) is for Disney to set up one of their animated series on their new streaming service. "Lamp Life" stars Bo Peep and covers where she was since ToyStory 2. They also have 10 shorts for the network "Forky asks a Question". I think Bo Peep having such a large role wasn't a coincidence. Here is a link if you haven't seen it describing the new Disney streaming service :

https://deadline.com/2019/04/disney...-pixar-simpsons-streaming-service-1202594496/

I'm always a sucker for a Toy Story movie. I was sad when TS was "coming to an end" at TS3, but I felt it ended with dignity. I was beyond excited for TS4, but very disappointed in how they portrayed the characters. Almost as if it was a whole new team who didn't fully grasp them or truly appreciate them in the first place. The new characters were kinda creepy & weird (sorry Forky). I didn't buy how Bo ended up to be a completely different personality than she once was. & I felt that Woody's ending was a total disrespect to his character.

I'm always a sucker for a Toy Story movie. I was sad when TS was "coming to an end" at TS3, but I felt it ended with dignity. I was beyond excited for TS4, but very disappointed in how they portrayed the characters. Almost as if it was a whole new team who didn't fully grasp them or truly appreciate them in the first place. The new characters were kinda creepy & weird (sorry Forky). I didn't buy how Bo ended up to be a completely different personality than she once was. & I felt that Woody's ending was a total disrespect to his character.
Well put!

I have to watch it again but I feel all the Toy Story movies are 5/5. I have to split hairs to separate them but I love Woody's ending.

I look it at this way, Woody was never going to have the type of relationship with Bonnie that he had with Andy. Even during Toy Story 3, Bonnie didn't seem to really take a real shine to him, outside of him being a new toy and after being there for 2 years, I think it became evident to him which is why he was obsessed with trying to comfort her when she entered Kindergarden and returning Forky to her. As he stated, he needed purpose.

Andy figured he was giving Woody over to someone who would appreciate him as much as he did, he was wrong.

And in the beginning when Bo is taken away, he did consider going with her, but his purpose was with Andy. Without Andy, and finishing up his purpose of returning Forky to her and the fact that Bonnie didn't need Woody, Woody was able to think of himself for a change.

I liked it. But to be honest, i didnt think it was as good as the other three Toy Story movies. Not by a long shot. The ending surprised me. It was sad. :(

I have a question though. I was reading about the easter eggs through out this movie and there's one that isnt mentioned at all. The antique shop owner. Is that not the same old lady from Ratatouille?? (Mabel i believe). Has nobody else noticed this?

Totally agree about Woody and the rest of the characters. Esp Bo. Very disappointing.

I was SUPER excited to see it. I adore the first three movies and there was just something special about being a child when the first one came out and now taking my three daughters to this one. I had tears in my eyes during the opening scene—it was like reuniting with old friends!

That said, I think the movie was mostly downhill from there and disappointing overall. It was still a “good” movie comparing it to other animated films, but did not live up to the three others.

Some random comments:
- Did they have to spend SO much time in the antique store? Yawn. I felt like the movie dragged in parts.
- None of the new characters were very good other than Gabby Gabby. Do not compare to how great Ken and Lotso were in 3. I liked that they added a polly pocket type character but she was sort of “meh.”
- The ending gets a big NOPE from me. I’m not buying that Woody would abandon his child and run off with Bo. To me, that’s completely against his character. It honestly felt like a betrayal!
- Buzz was disappointing! Not many other lines other than pushing his button and listening.
- I missed the comrade and interaction between all of the toys...it seems to have ended once the road trip started.
- Forky was a funny addition.

I think they should have stopped at 3. I’m glad we saw it but I don’t see our family rewatching this one again and again like we do the other 3. I wasn’t expecting it to be better than 3, which I would categorize as movie perfection, but this one wasn’t even close.
You pretty much summed up my thoughts. It was definitely the weakest of the four movies.
I hated the movie. I’m hoping I can block it from my memory and just remember the first 3.
I said to my kids I was going to pretend this one never happened.

I hated that Woody left “the gang.” However my oldest (will be 23) pointed out that the premise was that it was alright to let people go at certain points in your life. If you think about it, she has a point when you look at the ages of the kids when the franchise started. They’re at that age where they’re discovering grown up relationships and realizing that some “kid” relationships need to fade and it’s okay to let them do that. Kinda smart when you think about it.

All three of my kids loved it. I didn’t hate it. I just didn’t love it.

Last edited:
Just saw it with my husband, elderly mother, and two adult sons and nephew. We all loved it. I cried at the end.

It was good in terms of Pixar animation and lots of details I obviously miss. I liked the "villains" who weren't really villains but honestly I hated Lotso or whatever his name was ... and didn't really enjoy that movie as much ... so whatever. The movie could have been a great stand alone movie, I didn't like the end with a family of movies. I think what I really love past the first one are just the actual characters and their personalities. I love them as a community unit, their bond and support of each other. True village. So the end, which completely upends the community unit makes me sad. I get it that Woody in his new state would likely get thrown away (since she's not OG owner, with those attachments) so I saw the end coming, but it still made my heart hurt. I just wish we could end this with the unit together and living happily ever after in my mind. Now I just feel worried for them all and I don't like that.

It also means Toy Story Land is even more fake. 🤨

Good call. I was sad at the end. 😢 And my youngest just moved back to town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter